Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High heels definitely not safe to drive in

Doesn't get out much. sandcastle's Avatar

High heels definitely not safe to drive in

Did a first recently, and went out driving in the day (to Oxford).

Underdressed, wig, and a really nice pair of high heels (gladiator?) I'd bought in M&S.

Eventually, found somewhere quiet (ish) to don the wig and change the shoes. Finding such a place was actually pretty difficult - any tips?

Feeling really nervous and wanting to check/adjust the hair, my gear changes became very bad indeed. Probably due to not depressing the clutch enough.

After whipping the wig off, on entering the city, I swapped shoes again before taking a couple of books back to the library.

For my return journey, I decided not to change back into my lovely shoes, but did enjoy having the touch of hair on my shoulders and back, for the 45 minute drive home.

Do you think the frisson of nerves is part of the fun?

Sandra
    Sandcastle is a bit buried.

I'm someone who's ventured out very little, mainly at night, only one one or two occasions in daylight (is there a link between vampires and CD'ing?), I know how nerve racking it can be. Couple that to learning the new skill of driving in heels and it's not surprising that your driving is a bit jaded.
    Perhaps it would help if you just tried wearing heels and every thing else drab until you become more proficient, more second nature. Last thing you need is a crash to dent your confidence.

I say avoid at all costs driving or operating any type of equipment, machinery, automobiles, Marine, and anything in high heels. If an accident results in one not controlling oneself during the operation of the vehicle due to "high heels" how would one answer a prosecutor if the question was proposed in a court where others including media maybe attending? What if the charge was manslaughter and you end up in prison? What would the imprisonment term bring? Wear flats and use the high heels to walk in to and from the equipment and play it safe. Just my suggestion.

I've not had problems driving in high heels. You just have to be prepared to adjust your posture a little bit, as well as position on the pedals.
    One may tolerate a world of demons for the sake of an angel. - Reinette, Doctor Who: The Girl In The Fireplace

Life is like a box of..
    Ya takes practice I've been wearing them and driving for years.. swear I could race Nascar in them. HEHE
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    “Life is full of beauty. Notice it. Notice the bumble bee, the small child, and the smiling faces.
    Smell the rain, and feel the wind. Live your life to the fullest potential, and fight for your dreams.”
    -Ashley Smith

I usually take flats with me.
    I almost had an accident last week when the heel of my 3½" heel boot slipped under the brake pedal, prohibiting me from braking. Sometimes when the drive gets long, you get lazy and start contorting your feet in odd configurations , thus the situation I mentioned.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I don't get out much. But once, I tried driving in some 4 1/2"s! I got the knack after a few stop signs, but only drove a couple of miles on surface streets. Would NEVER try it on an express way! EEK!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    I've read several people say that driving in heels is dangerous, but as Lynn said it is more a question of posture. I have never had any difficulty driving with 4" heels, I simply hold my foot at the correct angle. It may help that I have driven barefoot or with man-style shoes in the past and each of those requires a different posture so adapting to the right posture for heels was no biggie for me.

I'm sorry, but I think Tanya is making quite a stretch from wearing heels to ending up killing someone and going to prison.
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

An article in a UK national newspaper claims that more than three million GG women have been rushed to hospital after their high heels have caused accidents. These figures do not include road accidents but are the result of falling over which have resulted in broken ankles, tearing tendons, broken wrists and damaging teeth. 3000 women polled and six out of ten said they would continue wearing the killer heels. If GG girls disregard their safety for fashion, it's no wonder CD's follow suit, but risking their and other peoples lives in a car is to my mind irresponsible.

Silver Member
    Just part of the learning process that women start when theyare girls. I drive in heels (ok low ones) and just use a bit more caution. The idea that driving in heels is wreckless is a bit of a stretch. There are a lot of things that have risk, we just need to manage the risk. If the clutch is a challenge in 5" stilettoes, don't throw out the shoes (donate them to someone here), start with a low heel and work up to a higher one.

There's a difference nobody has mentioned - in the United States almost all vehicles have automatic transmissions [except 18 wheelers], but I understand in the United Kingdom a lot of vehicles have manual transmissions. It's more confusing when one has to work the clutch so in that situation heels would make more of a difference.
    John (Legal name)

Preferred pronouns: he, his, him

It's unsafe, just don't do it.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

I wear heels when driving a lot, have been doing so for several years. It was a bit awkward to begin with but you do get use to it.

I guess it comes down to God-given skills supported by practice. It is the only way I can explain why some appear to be able to drive in heels and some can't. I appear to one of the lucky ones as I have never had a problem and I have been driving in heels for almost 20 years. For most of that time, I have had manual transmissions. In the last 4 months, I have probably driven several thousand miles in the Northeast US - mostly between New York and Boston. It has included city driving and highway driving including backed up highway driving. However, I won't mow my lawn in heels. I have enough trouble with the "clutch" and the brake on that thing already

One skill that I do practice at times and which might be useful for those that have manual transmissions is shifting without using the clutch. If you have a syncro-mesh in the transmission, then you can slip in and out of gear by just adjusting the speed of the engine to match the speed of the car. A great many people don't believe that one can do this but, in part, this is why I am on my original clutch with over 200,000 miles on it. (Now if that discussion doesn't show that I truly have a male side, I don't know what will !)

So, heel lovers just keep practicing and you will be able to drive yourselves to those hot night clubs in those hhhiiiggghhh heels!

Leann
    Last edited by LeannL; 11-24-2010 at 09:34 AM.
    Leann

Enjoy who you are but stay safe.

Quote Originally Posted by LeannL View Post
    I guess it comes down to God-given skills supported by practice. It is the only way I can explain why some appear to be able to drive in heels and some can't....So, heel lovers just keep practicing and you will be able to drive yourselves to those hot night clubs in those hhhiiiggghhh heels!
    Just because one can do something doesn't mean they should. I CAN drive in heels, I have done so in the past. These days I choose not to in the interest of safety.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Aspiring Member

Shift as necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by sandcastle View Post
    Did a first recently, and went out driving in the day (to Oxford).

Underdressed, wig, and a really nice pair of high heels (gladiator?) I'd bought in M&S.

Eventually, found somewhere quiet (ish) to don the wig and change the shoes. Finding such a place was actually pretty difficult - any tips?

Feeling really nervous and wanting to check/adjust the hair, my gear changes became very bad indeed. Probably due to not depressing the clutch enough.

After whipping the wig off, on entering the city, I swapped shoes again before taking a couple of books back to the library.

For my return journey, I decided not to change back into my lovely shoes, but did enjoy having the touch of hair on my shoulders and back, for the 45 minute drive home.

Do you think the frisson of nerves is part of the fun?

Sandra

Depends on what you call "fun."

You went out dressed and the sun did not fall into the sea... It never does.

Take note of that... Don't undress; don't give yourself a case of nerves; don't be a nervous/clumsy driver.

Shoes are shoes. Adapt and be safe. I have to take off my hiking boots to drive because the boot locks my ankle and I have to work the entire leg to depress the gas pedal, etc. Smarter to drive in socks and hike in boots. Right tool for the job and all that...

And, not only can you drive without using the clutch to shift, if you think about it, you can drive without the clutch all day long. A bit bumpy, a bit noisy, but I did it in my younger days when the clutch cable would break and I still needed to drive somewhere. Like riding an ill-tempered pony, but it works.

Again, you'd be surprised what you can do. Just be safe.

reading some of these posts, it seems that most people take the view, that as they have done something for a long time and nothing bad has happened, it never will happen. But it could and it could be you. But you go on looking at life in denial and I trust and pray that your god will keep you safe. When it comes to heels and driving there are two more pedals to contend with Brake and accelarator. Would you agree with the drunk who says he always drives after drinking alcohol and nothing has happened to him, and that he can drive as well when drunk as when sober.

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Rose View Post
    When it comes to heels and driving there are two more pedals to contend with Brake and accelarator. Would you agree with the drunk who says he always drives after drinking alcohol and nothing has happened to him, and that he can drive as well when drunk as when sober.
    Actually for a proper driver we are talking about three pedals - you forgot the clutch!

Every time you get in a car you have the potential for an accident. If I followed your logic, I should never step out of my hose for fear that something might happen.

It is possible to have an accident when wearing heels. It is also possible to have an accident when wearing men's shoes whilst driving. It is equally possible to have an accident when driving bare-foot. So the obvious solution is never drive because it is possible to have an accident.

Alternatively, you can drive correctly whilst barefoot / wearing flats / wearing heels and know that your choice of footware does not add any certainty of accident.

Incidentally, I have had a number of collisions whilst wearing clothes, should I forgo wearing clothes whilst driving?

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Quote Originally Posted by Rianna Humble View Post
    Actually for a proper driver we are talking about three pedals - you forgot the clutch!
    Cars with automatic transmissions have only two pedals - brake and accelerator.

Quote Originally Posted by mklinden2010 View Post
    And, not only can you drive without using the clutch to shift, if you think about it, you can drive without the clutch all day long. A bit bumpy, a bit noisy, but I did it in my younger days when the clutch cable would break and I still needed to drive somewhere. Like riding an ill-tempered pony, but it works.
    I understand that you don't need to depress the clutch while shifting gears, but how does one stop and start again without using the clutch?

John
    Last edited by JohnH; 11-24-2010 at 01:57 PM.

The main thing is to be careful always, and test your heels or boots, to see how they work with the pedals, before hitting the roads. I drove 2000 miles across most of the U.S. with two cats in the car, three times! That was pushing it, hazardous!

Heals and driving depends on what you drive. If you drive a Crosa/Micra I would aviod it - the cars are too small and cramped. If you drive a 4x4, a people carrier (Scenic / Zafira / Galaxy) or even something the size of am Insignia then you should be fine. I often get Insgina's for hire cars at work and I can drive 400 miles in my 3 1/2 inch heels without breaking a sweat once I get the seat in the right position.

Klaire

Like I said, it is only my suggestion. Do as you like, I am not you

I've been driving in heels for years and have never had an issue. You want to drive wearing something difficult.. Try my underground mining boots... In a small car you can barely move your feet with them on..
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rianna Humble View Post
    QED! You don't need a proper driving license to drive an automatic

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH View Post

I understand that you don't need to depress the clutch while shifting gears, but how does one stop and start again without using the clutch?

John
    to stop just put into nuteral and coast to a stop.
    to start have it in gear using the starter moter. best to try and not stop, timing at the lights is a good thing. never run a light or stop sign.
    i have had to do this a number of times with a number autos/trucks.
    but then i drive a big rig all day/night long.