Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: High heels definitely not safe to drive in

Quote Originally Posted by Rianna Humble View Post
    QED! You don't need a proper driving license to drive an automatic
    Really? And there was me thinking that a pure automatic license WAS a proper license, just with a restriction of only being able to drive automatics unless you take and pass a test in a manual car.

Klaire

All this talk of pedals and changing gear without the clutch, it's just too technical. I have a pair of flat shoes in my car, not for safety, but to PROTECT my heels. There is nothing likely to cause more damage to shoe heels, and that includes the flats, than driving a car.

Today I wore a pair of flat court shoes for the 4 hour drive home as the car I had was not really big enough for heels. While comfortable, I found that given the position i put my right foot in to be comfortable on the accelerator the my foot rested on the back of the shoe and not the sole, so it started to buckle and rub on the back of my heel after about 200 miles which got irratating. I need to find something with a sole that goes up a little at the rear so that the sole is still on the floor of the car when driving so stop this happening again and (possibly) damaging the shoes.

Klaire

Rianna. I did not forget the clutch. I was replying to a post by JohnH who mentioned Automatic gearchange cars where a clutch is not used. I was reminding her that there are two other pedals that high heels can cause trouble with. You mention that accidents can happen whatever shoes you wear even if you drive barefoot. This statement is silly, everyone knows that such accidents can and do occur, but you don't have to take the risk of causing the accident. You could be run over by a bus, but I'm sure you wouldn't take the risk of crossing the road in front of a bus that was almost level with you. You don't have to take risks with your life. You can and should take precautions to lessen the risk whatever you are doing.

Doesn't get out much. sandcastle's Avatar

Frisson

Quote Originally Posted by mklinden2010 View Post
    Depends on what you call "fun."

You went out dressed and the sun did not fall into the sea... It never does.

Take note of that... Don't undress; don't give yourself a case of nerves; don't be a nervous/clumsy driver.

Shoes are shoes. Adapt and be safe. I have to take off my hiking boots to drive because the boot locks my ankle and I have to work the entire leg to depress the gas pedal, etc. Smarter to drive in socks and hike in boots. Right tool for the job and all that...

And, not only can you drive without using the clutch to shift, if you think about it, you can drive without the clutch all day long. A bit bumpy, a bit noisy, but I did it in my younger days when the clutch cable would break and I still needed to drive somewhere. Like riding an ill-tempered pony, but it works.

Again, you'd be surprised what you can do. Just be safe.
    When I bashed out my message about my drive to Oxford, I should have been clearer.

The frisson I experienced was not from the fear of having an accident (which was really horrible).

What gave a tingle was the combination of 'what if I get read' and 'I'm safe from yobs in the car'. That feeling in the skin you get when you're watching a really good horror film - but safe at home.

It's the type of experience that suddenly left me one day aged thirteen, when I realised that I was completely safe walking home, that other kids were not going to hassle me.

As well as the, I guess enjoyable, shiver as I stand enfemme outside in my M&S heels, there is also the sobering thought that perhaps most RGs can never 100% leave this (understandable) fear behind.

Sandra.
    Sandcastle is a bit buried.

Quote Originally Posted by Klaire Larnia View Post
    Really? And there was me thinking that a pure automatic license WAS a proper license, just with a restriction of only being able to drive automatics unless you take and pass a test in a manual car.

Klaire
    Let me get it straight. Are you actually are restricted to automatics unless you pass a test in a manual transmission car in the United Kingdom? There are no such restrictions in the United States. Here you can pass the driving test with an automatic transmission car you can drive a manual with no restrictions and vice-versa.

John
    Last edited by JohnH; 11-26-2010 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Added clause "and vice-versa"

Yes it's sort of the other way around in the UK.
    If you pass your test in a manual, you can drive both manuals & automatics.
    But if you have only passed in an automatic you can't drive a manual.

But helpfully, if you've got a qualified driver in the passenger seat, then you can drive either.

Sandra

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Angela Rose View Post
    You mention that accidents can happen whatever shoes you wear even if you drive barefoot. This statement is silly, everyone knows that such accidents can and do occur, but you don't have to take the risk of causing the accident.
    My statement is no more silly than the person who said that if you wear heels to drive you could end up killing someone and go to jail.

If you drive correctly and adopt the right posture your choice of footware will not add to the risk of causing an accident.

As far as I am aware, there has been no work done to establish a positive statistical link between footwear and accidents, so I would have to base my judgement on personal experience of nearly 40 years driving. In those 40 years, I have been the victim of a number of accidents - none of which were caused by people in heels. I have also had one or two accidents which were my own fault, but I was wearing man-shoes at the time. In fact during those 40 years, I have only witnessed 1 accident which involved someone wearing heels - a cisgendered man wearing flat shoes rammed into the back of the woman in heels when she was safely stopped at some traffic lights which were red at the time.
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

Quote Originally Posted by Rianna Humble View Post
    My statement is no more silly than the person who said that if you wear heels to drive you could end up killing someone and go to jail.

If you drive correctly and adopt the right posture your choice of footware will not add to the risk of causing an accident.

As far as I am aware, there has been no work done to establish a positive statistical link between footwear and accidents, so I would have to base my judgement on personal experience of nearly 40 years driving. In those 40 years, I have been the victim of a number of accidents - none of which were caused by people in heels. I have also had one or two accidents which were my own fault, but I was wearing man-shoes at the time. In fact during those 40 years, I have only witnessed 1 accident which involved someone wearing heels - a cisgendered man wearing flat shoes rammed into the back of the woman in heels when she was safely stopped at some traffic lights which were red at the time.

Think I have to go with you on this one. I have been licensed and have driven everything from two wheels to eighteen wheels in my fifty years of driving and the majority of the accidents involving my vehichle, I wasn't even in the vehichle or I was stopped at a light or sign!

Yes you can be cautious about driving, you can be cautious about life, but if you are so careful as to prevent an accident; should you not also be careful about embarrassing yourself by dressing at all?

Life is to be lived, not shut in your house, venturing out only for a minute or two a day!

No, we do not need take anything to the extreme. If you cannot walk comfortably in heels, I agree with the above statement about wearing heels while driving.

Please remember, you are responsible for your actions, so act accordingly.
    If you cannot control your body, while wearing heels or DUI, then be an adult and do not place yourself or others in jeopordy.
    Sorry about the rambling.
    Sorry if I stepped on anyones toes.
    If you are not capable of something, then DON'T DO IT!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]All good things come to "she" who waits!

Hi Rianne. Perhaps you have only witnessed 1 accident where the driver wore high heels because everyone else was sensibly wearing flats. The man who rammed onto the back of a car obviously could not blame his shoes. Sorry luv you have no argument. Anyway you and a lot of others are fixed in your ideas and probally wouldn't alter them if evidence was given to you. The is plenty of medical and scientific evidence that high heels cripple women's feet. I wonder why it is tthe first thing a woman does when she gets home from shopping is to take her shoes off.

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Angela Rose View Post
    Perhaps you have only witnessed 1 accident where the driver wore high heels because everyone else was sensibly wearing flats.
    Yes, and those people who were "sensibly wearing flats" caused 100% more accidents than the women I have seen who were wearing heels whilst driving.

But as you say, those of us who have presented evidence are obviously much less inclined to believe evidence than those who present none.
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

Maybe this will help. At least in the States there are several organizations that analyze vehicle accidents for the insurance industry. If there was a correlation between wearing heels and accidents, not only would there be warnings plastered everywhere including next to those about driving and texting, talking on the cell or drinking, there would probably be a law against it. While not having these is not definite proof, given the nature of the issue, it is highly unlikely that there is any connection between driving in heels and accidents.

Leann
    Leann

Enjoy who you are but stay safe.

I'm not sure I understand the problem here. I drive in 5" and 6" heels all the time with no issues. You just need to be extra careful.
    Last edited by JenniferB; 11-25-2010 at 08:01 PM.

Rianne this conversation can go on for ever so this is my final observation. In UK there is evidence . Regarding your statement about 100% more accidents involving women wearing flats, then obviously their shoes didn't cause the accident. That's it no more, take care and keep alive. Luv to you all.

Quote Originally Posted by sandcastle View Post
    Yes it's sort of the other way around in the UK.
    If you pass your test in a manual, you can drive both manuals & automatics.
    But if you have only passed in an automatic you can't drive a manual.

But helpfully, if you've got a qualified driver in the passenger seat, then you can drive either.

Sandra
    My point is that in the United States there are NO restrictions imposed on the transmission type you can drive as long as you pass the driving test on any car, automatic or manual.
    Maybe there needs to be a drive to simplify licensing in the UK to remove the transmission restrictions.

John
    Last edited by JohnH; 11-26-2010 at 12:37 PM.

My old F-150 had 4 on the floor, plus one more... (5 speed manual) I could double clutch it just fine in 5 in heels... The secret to hitting the clutch right is to twist your heel out to the side a little bit

Quote Originally Posted by 5150 Girl View Post
    My old F-150 had 4 on the floor, plus one more... (5 speed manual) I could double clutch it just fine in 5 in heels... The secret to hitting the clutch right is to twist your heel out to the side a little bit
    I have heard about the four-on-the-floor and a fifth under the seat - the meaning of the "fifth" is a little dated since liquor bottle sizes became metric around 1977 in the US.

John

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH View Post
    My point is that in the United States there are NO restrictions imposed on the transmission type you can drive as long as you pass the driving test on any car, automatic or manual.
    Maybe there needs to be a drive to simplify licensing in the UK to remove the transmission restrictions.

John
    This part of UK law doesn't need changing at all, thanks all the same.

How does one change gears without disengaging the clutch. I'm really curious just in case I find myself in such a situation. Without disengaging the clutch wouldn't I just wreck the gear box. I drive an automatic here in Vancouver, but I can also drive standard shift with no trouble.

I will not drive an automatic with high heels, and I definitely will not drive a standard shift with high heels. Flats only while in the automobile. Dress, slip, bra and hose pose no problems. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by pattyv View Post
    How does one change gears without disengaging the clutch. I'm really curious just in case I find myself in such a situation. Without disengaging the clutch wouldn't I just wreck the gear box. I drive an automatic here in Vancouver, but I can also drive standard shift with no trouble.

I will not drive an automatic with high heels, and I definitely will not drive a standard shift with high heels. Flats only while in the automobile. Dress, slip, bra and hose pose no problems. LOL
    Practice girl, practice!

Pretty much for a simple explanation, one matches the transmission speed to the engine speed.
    Roughly, know what your speed is at specific RPM's, when ready to shift up, as you remove pressure from the throttle, place the shift lever into neutral, wait for the engine and xmission to match speeds and slide the shifter into the next gear.

Sounds simple, huh? Now to shift down, again, move the shift lever into neutral, but this time you must throttle up to the engine speed up to the xmission speed then slide the shifter into the lower gear then back off the throttle to slow down or ease into it to pull that grade.

Simple, just lots of practice and knowing your vehichle.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]All good things come to "she" who waits!

Well, no one has brought up another reason to not where heels while driving. To protect the heels of your shoes. With what I pay for shoes I want to protect them as much as possible. The few times I drove dressed I had a pair of athletic shoes to drive in. For me, much more comfortable all around. More than a few years ago I heard of pads you can buy for your car floor to protect the heels of shoes. Don't know if they are still around.

Jamsey.
    Last edited by Jamsey; 11-28-2010 at 12:38 AM. Reason: spelling error

I drive a Ford Ranger wit a M/T and have no problems with heels at all. I have to admit, I have been driving in heels for as long as I can remember.