Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Have you ever gone to a job interview in boy mode with nails/heels

Quote Originally Posted by Vickie_CDTV View Post
    All of this makes me glad I am self employed, as much as I complain about it, and even though I still have to meet others' expectations to some extent to have work.

When a company has a "GLBT policy", how does anyone know the "T" really means anything? It may just in there for politically correct lip service, or because they were pressured by some group or something to add it, it doesn't necessarily mean the corporate culture really cares a wit about TG folks. It may sincerely care, but just having the "T" in the policy doesn't mean they do. Or, for that matter, what does and does not quality as "T"? Does "T" cover a pre-transition TS? Or a post transition TS? Does it cover a TV who dresses outside of work? Does it protect a TV who wants to come to work dressed, and if so, can they go back and forth?

It is a fight for survival in this world. It is unfortunate, but those who dress gender conforming are more likely to get and keep a job. Some folks are in a position where they can take a stand and be themselves and thrive and prosper, but most folks can't. If one can, that is fantastic and they deserve credit for it. It isn't "right" that a man can't wear a skirt to work, certainly it isn't in my opinion; it is a matter of survival and if the hands that can feed you demand gender conformity most have to do what the hands say.

When it comes to working in a company, a friend quipped, "Anything that can be used against you, almost certainly will be used against you." Don't make it harder to get and keep a job than it already is.
    This is actually an amazingly important point to bring into the discussion.

Playing dress-up by way of heels and a manicure in guy mode for a job interview is just that, a game. Those who identify as "T", who are full time and are faced with the prospects of finding employment, are living it for real and often have it incredibly difficult. These individuals can be let go or not hired in the first place for a myriad of reasons, none of which have to be related to the "T".

I am all for the breaking of barriers when it comes to gender issues. However, we should be mindful of the big picture which Vickie has so eloquently stated.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post
    Never. But especially in this economy. Even with a "friendly" company... I think I'd dress how they want me to dress rather than how I wanted to dress.. Rather be able to live comfortably and afford to by pretty things than starve to death in an old dress and heels.. Lol.
    I agree, so if you want to dress for an interview it should beat a placethat would actualy encourage you to crossdress. Maybe a makeup store, some salons... But be sure about it so you don't ruin a good opportunity to find work. A workday is often just 8 hours, so making some $$ so you can , as Karren put it, buy nice clothes to wear for the remaining 16 may be a better route. Now have you considered womens apparel retail? Most have great employee discounts!

Brandy, I don't think your hypocritical. I think your dead on. People today think you can show up at a job interview dressed anyway they want and expect a company to hire them just on there skills. unfortunatly that's not so. When you walk in the door the first thing your judged by is you apperence. That first impression can determine weather the interviewer likes you or not, or consider you for the position. No matter what it is. Then even if you have the qualifications your then considered on how you will fit in with the rest of the staff. If they consider you a problem, I don't care what your cradentials are, your not going to get the job. Also remember, most people are employees at will.

I was in a training seminar years ago for my then employer, which was being put on by the HR department. They were talking about discrimination in the work place. One of the scenarios they described was a job interview, where the candidate was male, and dressed as such in every way except he had ankle socks on with little fuzzy balls at the back of them. You've seen the type. He was perfect for the job in every respect; well qualified, lots of experience, solid track record with prior employers, and he meshed very well with the people he interviewed with. But, a number of people who interviewed him raised concern about the socks. The HR person giving us the training told us it was a real scenario; she'd been one of the interviewers. They hired him, but it took time for them to get to the decision because of the socks. He ended up working out very well for the company.

The basic point here is of course you can go to an interview dressed however you want. But, you can not control how the company will respond to the way you look, and regardless of how well qualified you are for the position, you might not get hired because of how you present yourself. If I were interviewing for a job I didn't need, I might consider going en femme. But, if I'm interviewing it means I need a job. So, that's not going to happen.

Aspiring Member
    I work for a medium-sized UK organisation (nope not saying which one) andI do quite a lot of interviewing. W are genuinely an equal opportunities employer and it would be regarded as shocking of someone was disadvantaged because of the gender of their clothing. A candidate would be expected to be well-dressed, so I believe a man in an elegant skirt, tights and heels would be judged the same way as a woman in an elegenat skirt, tights and heels. If he had boobs, make-up and wig as well he would have to be that bit better at it for the simple reason we want people who are credible and competent and that extends to presentation - it does not mean you have to pass. OK, this hasn't been tested yet, but we have one MTF TS (appointed as M) and no problems. I just know we have a very politically correct attitude. Interestingly, interview panels sem to agree on almost everything so our policies are clrealy well-established.