Thread: What a week

Talking What a week

So on Monday I was offered a job with State Farm which will open up new world's of opportunities for me. Not only is it a substantial increase in my income (Yay! More shopping) but I will be moving from the stuffy little town I live in now to Omaha. That means more getting to go out and more shopping.

A side benefit is that they have an antidescrimination policy that includes transgender individuals as well as their company provided health insurance covers transgender needs from counseling to hrt and surgeries. While I'm not sure if that is the direction I'm going to be going, it is nice yo know that I will be with a company that will not stop me should I pursue transitioning.

Congratulations!

But remember that just because the company has policies doesn't mean it only has employees who agree with them. I hope it doesn't happen, but you could get a neanderthal for a boss... </off soapbox>

So now go out, celebrate, and buy some clothes!!

Deep in the Heart of Texas..okay..DFW area
    Good for you, Aimee... after you get yourself established, I'll buzz ya for a job reference..i need one..lol.. no, actually I looked at some that would take me to mid-west..and not that I hate the cold.. but..hmmm anyway.. if the money is right and am I to guess right that cost of living is lower then other major cities?

Its great for income increase and the benefits..good luck
    Marissa

"You better look hard and look twice,
    ...is that me, baby or just a brilliant disguise?"- The Boss

Tina, thankfully I already know who my boss is and have met with him several times. To say my gaydar was going off is a bit of an understatement lol.

And Marissa, I hold the same sentiment when it comes to cold weather but I guess if you look at the positive... I get to have Moe variety in my wardrobe. Also yes Omaha's cost of living is very low compared to other cities I've lived in.

I live about 50 miles from the headquarters of State Farm and have known many people who worked there over the years. They also have an office in my city and are a major supporter of several business and technology research projects at the university where I work. My impression is that their commitment to diversity and the policies in their employee manual is deep and sincere. That doesn't mean you will never encounter any individual employees who exhibit various degrees of prejudice, but the corporate culture as a whole is, relatively speaking, open and supportive. It is probably a good opportunity.

- Diane