Thread: TV/media depictions of drag or crossdressing that had an impact on you growing up

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

TV/media depictions of drag or crossdressing that had an impact on you growing up

Was there a particular depiction of crossdressing in the media that really made an impression on you early in your life -- something that really gripped you and stirred up your budding interest? Especially if you, like me, grew up long before the Internet's barrage of trans images, and only had a few fleeting insights into that world through TV, film, or print.

Three examples come to mind. I grew up in the 60's and 70's, and remember being fascinated by Flip Wilson's "Geraldine" character on his variety show. He looked quite fetching in drag, and created a very believable (and funny as hell) character. One sketch in particular wowed me -- when Geraldine became a Playboy Bunny. Being naive and as yet unacquainted with things like falsies, waist-cinchers, and the art of "tucking," I was mesmerized at just how he managed to achieve such a curvy, feminine shape.

The second was an article in Life magazine titled "The Boys in the Bank." This was about the botched bank robbery that was later dramatized in the movie "Dog Day Afternoon." Included in the article was a photo of John Wojtowicz's ("Sonny" in the movie) crossdressing gay boyfriend Ernest Aron ("Leon" in the film) en femme. That little, blurry black-and-white photo fascinated me. This issue of Life was one of several amongst a ragtag collection of magazines available for perusal in one of my high school classrooms, and I took every opportunity during down time to casually wander over and get another glimpse of that picture.

Finally, there was an episode of the old game show To Tell the Truth. The challenger was a young man who had been jokingly dressed as a woman by some of his female friends and entered in a local beauty contest as a joke....only to actually win the damn thing! Both the real subject and his two "imposters" on the panel were in full drag. I was not only drawn to how good they all looked, but by the notion that this had been done to him by girls (I always had fantasies of being dressed up by a female friend), and could actually look so convincing as to beat out real girls in a beauty contest!
    "Television is very educational. Whenever somebody turns it on, I go into another room and read a book." -- Groucho Marx

Not anything on TV but I also read a Life article on transvestites in NYC... And it made me aware that I wasn't alone....
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

There were a few things for me, I think it was more like it was for Karren though, where it made it seem like "ok so this isn't just me."

Nickelodeon had a show called "You Can't Do That on Television," which was this oddly subversive kid's show originally from Canada, that had a lot of weird things on it like people having slime dropped on them whenever they said "I Don't Know," but also once in a while they'd do jokes about boys wearing dresses, or being dressed like girls, and I remember being a little kid and watching that stuff and whenever a boy wearing girls clothes would be used in a sketch, I'd feel excited, like I can remember even having butterflies in my stomach the way you do when you're anxious or excited about something coming up. I remember wanting *so* badly to be on that show just so I could wear a dress sometimes.

There was also a movie called Ladybugs with Rodney Dangerfield and the late Jonathan Brandis where Brandis played a a teenage boy who Dangerfield's character had dress as a girl to play on the girl's soccer team he was being forced to coach for work. Another "I wish I'd been in that" moment.

Like Karren I remember being so relieved the first time I came across the word Transvestite, but mine was actually in a MAD Magazine. It was their parody of the Tim Burton Batman movie, and there was a panel where Bruce Wayne was revealing himself to someone as Batman, so he stepped out dressed in the suit and someone said "Oh you're a transvestite." I asked my mom what transvestite meant and she explained that there are some men who dress in women's clothes. She said it very disapprovingly, like it was a bad thing, but by that point I was 8 or 9 years old and I already knew I very much wanted to wear girl's clothes, so even though she said it like that, I remember feeling so happy that there were enough people that felt like me that there was a word for it.
    -------------------------------------------------
    ~Riley
    Check out my trans themed standup on YouTube!

My Tumblr Blog

My formal awakening came from a newspaper article in DC about a female impersonation nightclub that had the line "These gorgeous young men floating about in diaphanous chiffon gowns are quite fetching". I vowed that as soon as I was able to drive THAT would be a spot to visit and I did. That was followed by several other nightspots and eventually I got hired as the sound and light guy for a few clubs in and around DC in the 70's. That afforded me a LOT of opportunity to meet and talk with the performers, befriend a couple, and learn a LOT of the tricks of the trade.

This also gave me a much better understanding of the gay world and as such, I am a strong supporter of gay rights.

Gee, that's long ago. I remember the movie 'Switch'. The main character wakes up as a female to re-live his life in a woman's shoes. I thought a lot about that movie.

There was not much educational material in those days and I found a book in the library on transsexuals and I was way to scared to sign it out and secretly read most of it hidden inside another book. I was even too scared to be seen looking in that section of the library.
    Chickie

Bugs Bunny & Elmer Fudd occasionally seemed to have a segment that caught my eye. And back when it came out, the movie "Some Like It Hot".
    [SIZE="3"]
    *** Barbie Lanai ***
    [/SIZE]

SF Area, Outer East Bay (Pleasanton/Dublin/San Ramon)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickhe View Post
    There was not much educational material in those days and I found a book in the library on transsexuals and I was way to scared to sign it out and secretly read most of it hidden inside another book. I was even too scared to be seen looking in that section of the library.
    That brings back a memory! I read "The Christine Jorgenson Story" that way, hiding in the back of the library because I certainly wasn't going to march up to the checkout desk with it!

I've been most inspired/impacted by people involved in music. The list is too long to recite, but people like Bowie, Trent Reznor, Freddy Mercury, etc etc. They've all had their influence on me over the years. Even if it was just dabbling in androgyny. Rocky Horror Picture Show of course... except my fascination with it has always peaked when it wasn't just cross-dressing, but the transformation from man to woman. So, more recently, people like Brian Molko catch my attention. Look up the video Pure Morning by Placebo on youtube and you'll see what I mean. He doesn't have to do much to look pretty /jealous lol! My grandmother was super intrigued by drag queens and such, which also played a huge role for me. I was very close to her and we spent a lot of time just talking over a bottle of wine when I lived with her. She was a very special woman in my life.
    [SIZE="2"]"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not"[/SIZE]

the happy camper
    Geraldine was a very big influence, as was the show Bosom Buddies.

I first learned about CD/TVs, though, from reading Ann Landers. I picked up two important data points from her: that crossdressers were primarily heterosexual, and that some wives accepted their husbands' crossdressing.

Geraldine would be my first memory. Bosum Buddies was another one. They weren't negative just didnt really hit home. I would have loved to live in the building on Bosum Buddies but didnt really consider them to be like me.

I remember some coverage of Christine Jorgensen and that seemed to connect more for me. I have never considered myself a TS but knew I wasnt a drag queen either. I think the fact that she was a real person and not a charachter kinda hit me.

I do remember a talk show with Tula as a guest; that would be the first one that really connected. They discussed Crossdressing as opposed to Transsexualism. I remember her saying that there more out there than you know ect. It was the first time I saw a bigger picture and a place where I may fit in. Also she looked damn good and made me want to see how good I could look.

mini kilted chick t-girlxsophie's Avatar
    Funny,that I first realised I wasn't alone when I read Agony Aunt Dear Dierdrie in the Sun Newspaper,was a story about a Crossdresser in the closet,It gave the phone number for a support group in my area,I havent looked back since
    As far as entertainment went It was Comedians that caught my eye,Scottish Comedian Stanley Baxter spent most of his Xmas specials in drag,also ppl like Danny La Rue and Dick Emery

Sophie
    We look to Scotland,for all our Ideas of Civilisation-Voltaire

========================================

A woman who loves to wear beautiful clothes is like a flower.
    A man who loves to emulate these women is a special flower-a rose
    Facebook:Sophie Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post
    Not anything on TV but I also read a Life article on transvestites in NYC... And it made me aware that I wasn't alone....
    My first awareness that I wasn’t alone was also from a 1966 Life Magazine article on Sunset Strip in California that included a mention of boys dressed as girls working on the strip. Maybe not the best role model but I vividly remember it as a moment in my life when I realized there was another world out there.

Aspiring Member
    Does anyone remember a Johnny Carson show that hosted a man, he was quite tall, like 6'7", and his very short wife and their only child, a daughter? The couple both crossdressed and the daughter brought pictures that she had drawn for school showing dad in a dress and mom, of course, in pants. The daughter was about 7 or 8 years old and accepted what their parents were doing as very normal.

Of course, there was Johnny hosting Tiny Tim and his eucal (I can't spell it), his banjo type instrument. Didn't Johnny dress up as Aunt ???? on occasion.

This thread inspired me to re-watch Freebie, its not a great movie by any means. But wow Christopher Morley was sex as hell a boy and as a girl. If you get the chance I suggest giving it a watch.

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    Unfortunately everything I saw was intended to use Drag as bad, over-the-top humor. Milton Berl, Red Skelton and the others. I didn't have control of the TV at home so anything that could have been close to a positive interpretation of a Crossdresser was on the channel I wasn't watching. When I did see a CD on Television I only wanted to turn them off since I knew they were going to be embarrassed at the end, and if they were not, then I would be embarrassed for them. Now I know that all I was doing was projecting my insecurity onto the characters I was watching. By the time the attitudes were changing I was out of the house and went years without a television. I now have the remote control in my hand thank you.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Janice Lester View Post
    This thread inspired me to re-watch Freebie, its not a great movie by any means. But wow Christopher Morley was sex as hell a boy and as a girl. If you get the chance I suggest giving it a watch.
    Chris Morley did quite a few TV roles as well, in addition to the aforementioned stint on Santa Barbara, including roles on Vega$, Partners in Crime and Too Close for Comfort. All of these appearances have been on YouTube at one time or another.
    "Television is very educational. Whenever somebody turns it on, I go into another room and read a book." -- Groucho Marx

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Annie D View Post
    Of course, there was Johnny hosting Tiny Tim and his eucal (I can't spell it), his banjo type instrument. Didn't Johnny dress up as Aunt ???? on occasion.
    The character was "Aunt Blabby". There are clips of the character on youtube etc.

Doesn't get out much. sandcastle's Avatar
    There's an episode of The Munsters that I really like.
    Grandpa mixes up a potion that changes him (temporarily) into a blond woman - so he can spy on Lily. I can't remember the name of the actress.
    Which was fun in itself. At the end it turns out the teenage son (Butch) has unwittingly drunk the remains of the potion and a blond youngster turns up but with the shocked boy's voice. Oh I wish such a potion really existed.
    Sandcastle is a bit buried.

fierce glamazon
    Quote Originally Posted by Starla View Post
    The second was an article in Life magazine titled "The Boys in the Bank." This was about the botched bank robbery that was later dramatized in the movie "Dog Day Afternoon." Included in the article was a photo of John Wojtowicz's ("Sonny" in the movie) crossdressing gay boyfriend Ernest Aron ("Leon" in the film) en femme. That little, blurry black-and-white photo fascinated me. This issue of Life was one of several amongst a ragtag collection of magazines available for perusal in one of my high school classrooms, and I took every opportunity during down time to casually wander over and get another glimpse of that picture.
    I had never heard of this film.. watched it last night - thank you for bringing it to my attention. I thought it was a very good film.

Christopher Morley in Freebie and the Bean. Around that same time he did a spread in Playboy where he and a Playboy model changed clothes. He looked gorgeous in her dress. It didn't increase my own crossdressing but I found myself very sexually attracted to him.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I think that seeing a few shows/movies/ads had a major impact on my crossdressing.

I remember an episode of the anime series Zorro when one of the major characters (can't remember which one) had to dress up as a cute girl. I'm pretty sure I saw this before I have had any crossdressing experience, but I remember I thought it was very cool, and that the crossdresser was very cute.
    I also remember being impressed by a few depictions of crossdressers in some TV shows and ads when I was a kid, but I can't recall many details.

There was also Monty Python, which had a big influence on my life as a whole, but I obviously treated their crossdressing as a joke (and still do).

I have been searching my memory (which in and of itself is a daunting task) and I just can't remember any TV or movie person who instigated or affected my cross dressing. Personally I found Geraldine and Milton Beryl offensive and hey were actually people who reinforced me to NOT dress because I didn't need people pointing and laughing at me. When I was in my 20's Christine Jorgensen, Tula and Wendy Carlos were m heroes for having the fortitude to actually change (I never had the guts). I love the campyness of Rocky Horror but it was again too much a parody and just reinforced my thought hat I was strange in some manner and didn't want to be thought of as a clown. So no, I can't think of anyone who helped direct me or even made me feel better about being a cross dresser.

I can however think of many transsexuals who I admire, even a few here.
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

The Bosom Buddies show in the early 80's is my first time I remember seeing men crossdressed. The show that made say to myself, I need to go for it, was the He's a Lady Show on TBS.

Quote Originally Posted by Starla View Post
    Was there a particular depiction of crossdressing in the media that really made an impression on you early in your life -- something that really gripped you and stirred up your budding interest? Especially if you, like me, grew up long before the Internet's barrage of trans images, and only had a few fleeting insights into that world through TV, film, or print.

Three examples come to mind. I grew up in the 60's and 70's, and remember being fascinated by Flip Wilson's "Geraldine" character on his variety show. He looked quite fetching in drag, and created a very believable (and funny as hell) character. One sketch in particular wowed me -- when Geraldine became a Playboy Bunny. Being naive and as yet unacquainted with things like falsies, waist-cinchers, and the art of "tucking," I was mesmerized at just how he managed to achieve such a curvy, feminine shape.

Finally, there was an episode of the old game show To Tell the Truth. The challenger was a young man who had been jokingly dressed as a woman by some of his female friends and entered in a local beauty contest as a joke....only to actually win the damn thing! Both the real subject and his two "imposters" on the panel were in full drag. I was not only drawn to how good they all looked, but by the notion that this had been done to him by girls (I always had fantasies of being dressed up by a female friend), and could actually look so convincing as to beat out real girls in a beauty contest!
    One thing this thread is doing is showing our ages. I remember all the shows that Starla mentioned in her post. Plus, " Some like It Hot " was an early favorite of mine.

Renee
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] [SIZE="2"]Huggs, Renee [/SIZE]