Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: TV/media depictions of drag or crossdressing that had an impact on you growing up

Just finding my way.... StaceyJane's Avatar
    Billy Crystal played a transsexual on the comedy series "Soap"
    His character entered the hospital to have a sex change but changed his mind.

I remember the TV series "Medical Center". In one episode a doctor (played by Robert Reed) announced he was going to have a sex change. I was around ten years old then. I read about the episode in TV guide and was all interested but on the night it was on I stayed away from it because I didn't want my family to know that I was interested in sex changes.
    Stacey

I'm not a doctor, I just play one on TV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wob7zmvVTb8

fierce glamazon
    Quote Originally Posted by Starla View Post
    The second was an article in Life magazine titled "The Boys in the Bank." This was about the botched bank robbery that was later dramatized in the movie "Dog Day Afternoon." Included in the article was a photo of John Wojtowicz's ("Sonny" in the movie) crossdressing gay boyfriend Ernest Aron ("Leon" in the film) en femme. That little, blurry black-and-white photo fascinated me. This issue of Life was one of several amongst a ragtag collection of magazines available for perusal in one of my high school classrooms, and I took every opportunity during down time to casually wander over and get another glimpse of that picture.
    I had never heard of this film.. watched it last night - thank you for bringing it to my attention. I thought it was a very good film.

Christopher Morley in Freebie and the Bean. Around that same time he did a spread in Playboy where he and a Playboy model changed clothes. He looked gorgeous in her dress. It didn't increase my own crossdressing but I found myself very sexually attracted to him.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I think that seeing a few shows/movies/ads had a major impact on my crossdressing.

I remember an episode of the anime series Zorro when one of the major characters (can't remember which one) had to dress up as a cute girl. I'm pretty sure I saw this before I have had any crossdressing experience, but I remember I thought it was very cool, and that the crossdresser was very cute.
    I also remember being impressed by a few depictions of crossdressers in some TV shows and ads when I was a kid, but I can't recall many details.

There was also Monty Python, which had a big influence on my life as a whole, but I obviously treated their crossdressing as a joke (and still do).

I have been searching my memory (which in and of itself is a daunting task) and I just can't remember any TV or movie person who instigated or affected my cross dressing. Personally I found Geraldine and Milton Beryl offensive and hey were actually people who reinforced me to NOT dress because I didn't need people pointing and laughing at me. When I was in my 20's Christine Jorgensen, Tula and Wendy Carlos were m heroes for having the fortitude to actually change (I never had the guts). I love the campyness of Rocky Horror but it was again too much a parody and just reinforced my thought hat I was strange in some manner and didn't want to be thought of as a clown. So no, I can't think of anyone who helped direct me or even made me feel better about being a cross dresser.

I can however think of many transsexuals who I admire, even a few here.
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

The Bosom Buddies show in the early 80's is my first time I remember seeing men crossdressed. The show that made say to myself, I need to go for it, was the He's a Lady Show on TBS.

Quote Originally Posted by Janice Lester View Post
    This thread inspired me to re-watch Freebie, its not a great movie by any means. But wow Christopher Morley was sex as hell a boy and as a girl. If you get the chance I suggest giving it a watch.
    Chris Morley did quite a few TV roles as well, in addition to the aforementioned stint on Santa Barbara, including roles on Vega$, Partners in Crime and Too Close for Comfort. All of these appearances have been on YouTube at one time or another.
    "Television is very educational. Whenever somebody turns it on, I go into another room and read a book." -- Groucho Marx

I remember many of the instances the gurls have supplied, but another imnportant one to my own pastime as a part-time girl goes way back, which may suggest my "certain age". Coincidentally, it too was in Life magazine ... probably in the forties! A college ran an annual stage show for girls only, and a fellow was dressed up (no doubt with the help of girls) and attended. I remember the line, "someone tipped off the cops" and he was outed. The pictures showed him in a neat skirt suit and a coat, as an extremely passable college gal. The lucky guys who were able to dress while faces and bodies were still young! Anyone ever see that one?

Celeste Aileen

I always liked watching the movie "Some Like It Hot". I was always so jealous.

The show that made the big difference for me was Phil Donahue when he had crossdressers on. That was the day I knew I was not alone and others were out there like me.

Sandcastle, it's strange how a tiny segment like that on Riverside can influence you isn't it?

I also forgot to mention an interview I saw on daytime TV when I was off ill which had Caroline Cossey promoting her first book I am a Woman. Must have been in the mid 80s. She was a big influence on me from seeing her as nothing but a beautiful woman who was good looking enough to be a model. There was also a World in Action (a topical news programme) edition that was about transexuals that I remember

I've seen a few more of Christopher Morley's appearances on Youtube including some detective show that had Lynda Carter in it. There is an easy clip to find of him from an episode of Magnum too.

Interesting question, for me it was cartoons. They would spark my interest and over active imagination...

Quote Originally Posted by t-girlxsophie View Post
    Didn't end well for the soldier,his lover (Glenda Jackson)shot him in the end
    The film is called Triple Echo.I saw this in my late teens and it really had an affect onme. Kind of "Oh no! I have to disguise myself as a woman to stay safe! What a shame..."

When I grew up in the late 40's / early 50's all I remember is "Uncle Miltie" and what I thought were his outlandish and ridiculous portrayals of women. They turned me off. All I knew was that I loved sneaking into my mother's closet and wearing her clothes; I even made a set of breast forms with lipstick colored nipples so that I could fill out her bras. My favorite books were the Alice books and I so much wanted to be a little girl like her.

I do remember movies where crossdressers were depicted as psychos (well, Psycho ...) but all they did was to fuel guilt.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Proud member of the Lacey Leigh Fan Club

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Annie D View Post
    Of course, there was Johnny hosting Tiny Tim and his eucal (I can't spell it), his banjo type instrument. Didn't Johnny dress up as Aunt ???? on occasion.
    The character was "Aunt Blabby". There are clips of the character on youtube etc.

Doesn't get out much. sandcastle's Avatar
    There's an episode of The Munsters that I really like.
    Grandpa mixes up a potion that changes him (temporarily) into a blond woman - so he can spy on Lily. I can't remember the name of the actress.
    Which was fun in itself. At the end it turns out the teenage son (Butch) has unwittingly drunk the remains of the potion and a blond youngster turns up but with the shocked boy's voice. Oh I wish such a potion really existed.
    Sandcastle is a bit buried.

Quote Originally Posted by Starla View Post
    Was there a particular depiction of crossdressing in the media that really made an impression on you early in your life -- something that really gripped you and stirred up your budding interest? Especially if you, like me, grew up long before the Internet's barrage of trans images, and only had a few fleeting insights into that world through TV, film, or print.

Three examples come to mind. I grew up in the 60's and 70's, and remember being fascinated by Flip Wilson's "Geraldine" character on his variety show. He looked quite fetching in drag, and created a very believable (and funny as hell) character. One sketch in particular wowed me -- when Geraldine became a Playboy Bunny. Being naive and as yet unacquainted with things like falsies, waist-cinchers, and the art of "tucking," I was mesmerized at just how he managed to achieve such a curvy, feminine shape.

The second was an article in Life magazine titled "The Boys in the Bank." This was about the botched bank robbery that was later dramatized in the movie "Dog Day Afternoon." Included in the article was a photo of John Wojtowicz's ("Sonny" in the movie) crossdressing gay boyfriend Ernest Aron ("Leon" in the film) en femme. That little, blurry black-and-white photo fascinated me. This issue of Life was one of several amongst a ragtag collection of magazines available for perusal in one of my high school classrooms, and I took every opportunity during down time to casually wander over and get another glimpse of that picture.

Finally, there was an episode of the old game show To Tell the Truth. The challenger was a young man who had been jokingly dressed as a woman by some of his female friends and entered in a local beauty contest as a joke....only to actually win the damn thing! Both the real subject and his two "imposters" on the panel were in full drag. I was not only drawn to how good they all looked, but by the notion that this had been done to him by girls (I always had fantasies of being dressed up by a female friend), and could actually look so convincing as to beat out real girls in a beauty contest!
    One thing this thread is doing is showing our ages. I remember all the shows that Starla mentioned in her post. Plus, " Some like It Hot " was an early favorite of mine.

Renee
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] [SIZE="2"]Huggs, Renee [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by barbie lanai View Post
    Bugs Bunny & Elmer Fudd occasionally seemed to have a segment that caught my eye. And back when it came out, the movie "Some Like It Hot".
    Hahaha, yes I love Bugs Bunny with red lips, a dress, long eyelashes. high heels and blond hair ...