Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Too specific?

Too specific?

I was chatting with a good female friend at work and mentioned about another lady who we sometimes chat about her sometimes inappropriate fashion sense and I mentioned about her stiletto heals. So my friend says that I was a little too knowledgeable. She claims most guys would only say "high heels" and not stilettos. And she goes on joking about how I would look in my stilettos. I was like whoa, did I just give myself away and tried to cover explaining I've seen Project Runway. So was I really "too knowledgeable" about women's footwear? Should I try to push other hints. I'm really kind of intrigued.

I might be to knowlwdgeable also I think today:
    Miley Cyrus Party In The Usa lyrics
    "....
    So hard with my girls not around me
    It’s definitely not a Nashville party ’cause all I see is stilettos
    I guess I never got the memo"

I don't watch Project Runway but I do know stilettos.

Know if you know the brand -Cesare Paciotti, Gianmarco Lorenzi or Jimmy Choo's.
    I think you would have some explaining to do.
    Last edited by az_azeel; 12-29-2010 at 05:41 PM. Reason: no need to quote the first post.. ;)

Hey, in my crowd stilettoes is like saying "kleenex" instead of tissue... We all learned that term back in high school, from this chic named Sally... I'm pretty sure that was her name...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Well, you've asked the right question, and I am one of the " shoe princesses " so here is my answer....

I think that everyone always has a feeling about someone else, and it seems that your GG friend at work is testing you, as it seems she already has an idea. Yes, we can all discuss clothing, shoes, bags, but it becomes strange at times, as we know as much as them. Over the years, my "saving grace" has been that my wife works in the Fashion Industry and because of this, I can say that I have experienced both the everyday bridge brands, as well as the ultra glam high line manufacturers. Thru her, I have learned many things, and of course, when it comes to women, I can now discuss openly clutch bags, purses, shoes (my favorite) and clothing. I'm pretty good with telling who is "real" and which ones are just "for show"...

Your friends comment about " how you would look in your stilettos " is the perfect example....if that's not a "test", then I need to fix my radar... I too went thru something like that, with an older female co-worker actually daring me to wear a dress, one of hers, in fact, and I agreed...needless to say, she never brought it in, and I just left it alone LOL (btw, she has opened a small catalog that I got from a fetish store in California once at work...she got the envelope before I did) She never mentioned it, but I'm sure that over the years, that has fueled her thoughts!

And its funny, but I do have someone at work who definitely has little fashion sense...she wears cheap stiletto platform boots almost everyday, tight jeans, and tops with low scoop necks and a leather jacket or some type of button down sweater over the top...not very put together, but fun to look at sometimes....I just get jealous of her being able to wear shoes/boots like that everyday !

Since when does knowledge about style cause anyone to be outed. UPS I forgot about TV. It is called sterotyping if you know about woman's clothes and style you are either Gay TS or CD. That is what the TV tells everyone. You can simply say you are watching to much TV. LOL. Then again you can also say, The truth. We are what we are.
    How sad it is to have to hide our lives away because the world hates to accept anything that changes or is different.
    TO OVER WEIGHT TO POST A PHOTO, MY wife tells me I look like I am pregnant

I have been working leather for the better part of 30 years. I have on several occasions made my wife purses/wallets and assorted other items. I am currently learning how to make shoes and boots. I do this for fun only. Have you ever tried to make/find the perfect purse? there is no such thing. I have talked with many GG about what they want in a purse. I put it in. In about a month they put it away because it isn't the perfect purse anymore. It is the same with shoes (mens and womens). There is no such thing as the perfect shoe. The best you can hope for is comfort.

Comfortable to be me PortiaHoney's Avatar
    Be careful. She may actually be joking and not be "testing" you for anything - except for the fact that women like to poke fun at men who have a "little" knowledge. She may even be enjoying the fact that her comment made you a bit uncomfortable. (or is that a LOT uncomfortable?)

A woman I was working with made a comment about how high a customers heels were and that she wouldn't be able to drive in those "ridiculous" shoes. I said that I didn't have any problems driving in heels like that and she just gave me the "look". And we laughed about it. Later, when I told her I was going to live full time as a woman - it was then that the penny dropped for her. She didn't give it another thought after the initial joke.

If you want her to know, it is a great way to break the ice and see how she feels or might react. If she has already had experience with a CD, then she may be "testing" you. Just remember, once you make that announcement you have no way to take back the words AND you will have no control over who she tells. As long as it is a bit of teasing, there is no commitment or harm.

Your choice.
    Freedom to be an individual is all powerful

I think she was just teasing you. I think we read into it because we know what we know. I see women teasing guys about wearing women's clothes fairly regularly, at least once every few months or so.

Stilettos aren't that weird a thing to know about, I know guys who talk about them in regards to how sexy they look on a woman.
    -------------------------------------------------
    ~Riley
    Check out my trans themed standup on YouTube!

My Tumblr Blog

I get a similar reaction when I refer to my shirt as a "top" in a conversation... Or compliment a coworker on her new Coach handbag.... Or bump into someone while I'm returning an arm load of women's magazines to the common area at work.... I'm sure most people at work suspect if not down right know...
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Silver Member
    You should always be comfortable and confident in who you are - no matter what you are wearing or commenting about! Could it be your "good female friend" needed a guys advice on what she was wearing? IMO, GGs seldom get honest positive comments from other GGs, while very few guys see "fashion" beyond the skin that the GG is showing!

So you are a sensitive guy with good taste in clothes who actually knows things about women's style and taste. Wow, sounds like someone many women would want to be with especially when shopping. Stilettos, stacked heels, Princess, clunky, spikes, open toes closed toes, Mary Janes, strappy heels, sandals....I learned those when I sold shoes in high school. Maybe you do know more than the average male (gee this doesn't smell too bad I'll wear it) but women know men's styles and cuts so why can't a guy know women's? I agree with JT she saw an opening and teases you about it. How you react will set the dynamic for your friendship. If you get defensive, she will go on to other things. If you state you have fashion sense, she may want you to go shopping with her. If you tease back, you will be just two friends who like each other
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

What are stilletos?
    LOL.
    I wouldn't worry about that being too specific. Now if you had said slingbacks or wedgies, that's a whole another story.
    Sherrie Lynn Pall

Sometimes I make sense and that frightens me.

Please don't let me be the last post on this thread

Every time at work when the safety shoe truck comes around I ask if they have steel toed stilettos yet and all the guys just laugh it off. I think most men know what stilettos are.
    If your really concerned about being outed at work, next time someone wears high heels just refer to them as CFM's. Women don't like it but all the guys will know what you're talking about.

Wedgies is an easy one. Just ask any young male if he ever got one from a friend! Now, back to the OP's experience. A girlfriend of my grown daughter was recently looking at a magazine and asked, "What is a LBD?". Duh, from a grown girl! So, I quickly answered, "A little black dress." She immediately asked me how do I know that. I told her after being married for 20+ years, dated a few women and have a daughter with her girl friends all for whom I had bought multiple gifts, why shouldn't I know. My daughter then added, "Yeah, my dad also reads all the woman's magazines!". I think my daughter's friends knows, or at least thinks, more than she wants to let on. She called me a metro-sexual once when I was first starting this second life of mine and before I even knew what that term meant. So, when asked a question like that, try not to blush and act nervous, and tell them that not all men are ignorant cavemen.

Platinum Member
    The term stilettos is pretty commonly used. Perhaps she thought you were a bit too knowledgeable, but more likely she has some suspicions and used the opportunity to tease out more information from you! The question is really - do you want her to know? If so, the second question is "why not tell her?"

Just because some women don't know the difference between a screw driver and an adjustable wrench, when one woman does certainly doesn't mean she's secretly wanting to become a guy! Turn the logic around. Likewise, some guys know more about transmissions than I do but I don't think that makes me any less of a guy. Just accept that some guys are more observant than others and may therefore know more about woman's clothing than others. Now, whether or not she is 'testing' you. A perfect comeback to her "how would I look in her stillettos" would have been "I would need a size 11 so I think that yours are too small."

It could have been worse. She could have assumed you were a foot fetishist

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by megan163 View Post
    She claims most guys would only say "high heels" and not stilettos. And she goes on joking about how I would look in my stilettos.
    "Most guys"? ... I don't think that's true. All my life I've known plenty of guys who know what stilettos are. They've been sexy since forever ... that is, unless all the guys she knows are uber macho neanderthals who don't have any general knowledge of common women's shoe types .... even the sexy ones.
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

Gold Member
    I use to call them SPIKE'S, and Floor wreckers, That is before I retired (Carpenter) Rader

I rarely make mention of anything specific of womens garb.. When describing what some woman might have been wearing, I go with "that blonde" or color of dress but rarely the girl over there in the nice calf length skirt wearing what appears to be black textured tights and red four inch stilettoes.. That would more than likely give me away as something suspicious..

I make this mistake often. I have cover since I was married for 27 years. I have commented on a woman's purse by knowing who made it and mentioning kitten heels the next day. Knowledge is power except when you are a cd'er. In that case it gives you away
    Michelle

Silver Member
    I guess I must really be out there. For years I have shopped with wife and her friends. The women love it as I know all the sizes and am happy to help them find what they are looking for. On more than one occasion someone has asked me to find them a different size in a bra. They are really happy that I know the sister sizes. In fact I've explained it to women. I now don't worry about being outed and openly wear womens pants and tops. I almost slipped the other day when a woman admired my sweater, I almost told her I had the skirt too.

I think it is fun to give away your feminine side. They don't know if you are a crossdresser, gay, "metrosexual", or just knowledgeable because you are married.

I was admiring a woman's sweater dress next to me on a plane and commented on it. I was obviously too knowledgeable about details, so she asked if I worked in the fashion industry. I sad "No, it is just a personal interest." Most women seem to be pretty accepting of male with a strong female side. If they seem a bit uncomfortable, you can always use the excuse that a smart man is knowledgeable about such things to keep his wife/GF happy.
    Juno Michelle Krahn

Normal people are weird. Stealth is another word for "in the closet".

about not knowing about the LBD

My wife and me were talking or shall I say arguing about shoes one day and I told her what type of shoes are called "pumps" if I remember right she said she had never heard of that description of a style of shoe. So not all gals are into fashion and the terms used.

Quote Originally Posted by AllieSF View Post
    Wedgies is an easy one. Just ask any young male if he ever got one from a friend! Now, back to the OP's experience. A girlfriend of my grown daughter was recently looking at a magazine and asked, "What is a LBD?". Duh, from a grown girl! So, I quickly answered, "A little black dress." She immediately asked me how do I know that. I told her after being married for 20+ years, dated a few women and have a daughter with her girl friends all for whom I had bought multiple gifts, why shouldn't I know. My daughter then added, "Yeah, my dad also reads all the woman's magazines!". I think my daughter's friends knows, or at least thinks, more than she wants to let on. She called me a metro-sexual once when I was first starting this second life of mine and before I even knew what that term meant. So, when asked a question like that, try not to blush and act nervous, and tell them that not all men are ignorant cavemen.

The best response to a joke like that is to say... I would tell you about why I know, but then I would have to kill you.
    Chickie