Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Too specific?

Gold Member
    I don't think that you were being too specific. Stilletos and LBD are very common terms to me. Now the kitten heels mentioned above may be pushing it.

The tough thing is that if you don't want to give away too much, is where to draw the line. Both my wife and youngest daughter will put something on and ask me how it looks. And I may comment about color matching, shoe matching, accessories, etc. But my daughter has a habit of asking me in front of someone who doesn't know. So I just revert to the fathererly "you look wonderful today dear". She asked me why I did that and I told her. She still asks but goes "Oh" when I give the diverted answer. But it does keep me from saying something that I want to reel back into my mouth. Grey area can be hard to decide on in a flash.

Sue's comment is actually where most guys who have close female relatives (ahem, translation: most guys) are.

People tend to learn the lingo of whatever they are around. Remember the scene in "My Cousin Vinny" when Vinny's fiancee (I forget the character's name) blew the case out of the water? Looking at her, you would never guess she knew anything about cars, but she had plenty of experience with them because she grew up with a family of mechanics. If you grow up / live any extended amount of time with something, you're bound to learn a little. I had a Spanish teacher in high school who's husband knew how to speak it, but had never learned it in school...he knew it from being around his wife and her family enough to pick up on it.

Now, most guys tend to toss stuff like fashion in one ear and out the other, as it typically doesn't apply...or so the stereotype is.
    I'm a guy who likes girls, I just like a little more about them than the average guy.

the happy camper
    Colors are another one you have to watch out for. A manly-man's crayon box only has 8 colors in it, 16 at the very most. Taupe isn't in it. Neither are plum, teal, ivory, or mauve. Caring enough to make the distinction between chocolate and plain old brown may cause you to be outed.

(An example of the feminine viewpoint on color vs the manly-man view. )
    Last edited by Sophie86; 12-30-2010 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Added example.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveTurkeyOnRye View Post
    I think she was just teasing you. I think we read into it because we know what we know. I see women teasing guys about wearing women's clothes fairly regularly, at least once every few months or so.

Stilettos aren't that weird a thing to know about, I know guys who talk about them in regards to how sexy they look on a woman.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorileah View Post
    So you are a sensitive guy with good taste in clothes who actually knows things about women's style and taste. Wow, sounds like someone many women would want to be with especially when shopping. Stilettos, stacked heels, Princess, clunky, spikes, open toes closed toes, Mary Janes, strappy heels, sandals....I learned those when I sold shoes in high school. Maybe you do know more than the average male (gee this doesn't smell too bad I'll wear it) but women know men's styles and cuts so why can't a guy know women's? I agree with JT she saw an opening and teases you about it. How you react will set the dynamic for your friendship. If you get defensive, she will go on to other things. If you state you have fashion sense, she may want you to go shopping with her. If you tease back, you will be just two friends who like each other
    You are right, I think. She went on teasing me and actually it has become a running joke between the two of us. We do a lot of joking around all the time. I honestly didn't feel "stilettos" was such an unusual term but still felt a little self-conscious about the kidding.

When that kind of thing happens to me I just laugh and reply something like "What can I say, I'm a well-rounded guy, who happens to know a little about a lot of different things" or something like that. To the best of my knowledge, noone has ever read into it that I might be a CD. I could be wrong of course. LOL.