Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The real you?

The real you?

We talk a lot on here about how we like to dress up, go out and what not and what we go through to look nice and presentable. Aside from all of that, my question is: When all is said and done with regard to appearance and presentation, just how much of who we really are inside shines through in the final product? Basically what I am asking is if you were a genetic woman would your basic personality be the same and would you more or less act the same way, gender notwithstanding? Why or why not?
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Aspiring Member
    Great question Denise.
    I believe that my personality would be much more toned down than it is as a male. My thoughts might still be present but not with the same passion and far less inclined to blurt out some of the things I do now. My knee jerk reactions to many things would be replaced by more thought before I acted, or spoke, or offered an opinion.

Mrs. S has told me, and it still comes as a shock to me, that I experience a personality change when dressed. She tells me I'm much more calm and mellow. I'm told I experience changes in body language and speech that lean much more toward the gentler feminine side. This is something I was not conscious of until she informed me of it.

I think we all have our own ideas of what a woman and a man should be and act like. Were we the opposite gender, I feel these concepts would have to be automatically applied.

All told, it would probably great for my blood pressure and overall demeanor and may just might add a few years to my life.

Women DO live longer than men, isn't that so?
    Last edited by Shari; 01-07-2011 at 06:59 AM. Reason: spelling

Yes to both. I would want to have the same personality and I would act pretty much the same way. In fact, I have thought if I were female, it's likely I would still be here on this forum exploring some FtM areas, trying to live in that balance.

I like who I am on the inside and prefer to live out my attributes of both genders.
    When I dress now, I always think of how I think I would want to dress if I were female, with my personality as it is. I currently do wear my long hair in a page style, just as how I think I would do if I were female. When I dress, mostly what I wear is long jumper style dresses that are very comfortable. I'm sure I would wear flats and rarely heels and little if any makeup. Anyway, that's me and I just try to dress as if "me" was female, when I do dress.

I like what my female boss said when I showed her my pics one day - "That's (definatly) you!"
    Last edited by Jonianne; 01-07-2011 at 07:28 AM.
    Joni

"Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free" Bob Dylan

Hi Denise!
    I have said before, I am me no matter what I am wearing.
    I might walk a bit different though.

Formerly Deborah Whitney
    Yeah, I think my personality would be pretty much the same. Maybe a little more outgoing when I present as a woman? Good question.

I've been trying lately to let my "self" shine through no matter how I'm dressed ... for me, it's started with giving up on a wig and some of the clothing I was using to slim myself down.

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    I believe that the real me shines through more than ever it did when I was pretending to be a man. I have always had a reputation as a good listener and being good with customers, but since I began my transition my performance reviews show that I am even better at dealing with customers who are feeling panicked by their problems.

When I was pretending to be a man, I tended to be more irascible than I am now so I believe that my true personality is only really visible now that I am in transition. From the point of view of presentation and attitude, several GG's have commented how much more girly I am than them.

In my opinion, if I were a genetic woman the biggest difference would be that I would not have wasted half a century learning pseudo-male actions.
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

Quote Originally Posted by DAVIDA View Post
    Hi Denise!
    I have said before, I am me no matter what I am wearing.
    I might walk a bit different though.
    Exactly!!! I'm the same big mouth anoying person only prettier!!
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

We're all a product of our experiences, and if I'd had a lifetime of experiences as a woman rather than as a man, I'm sure I'd be a bit different. That said, I'm sure there would be many similarities as well. I'd probably be a toned-down feminine version of who I am now, with nicer hair and boobies. And I'd probably not enjoy wearing dresses nearly as much as I do as a man. I've noticed that very few real women do. And I'd probably not enjoy cigars and sex with women, either. LOL

Any money found in the laundry is MINE!

"This is no social crisis....this is me having fun!"

www.flickr.com/photos/tgmarla/

Thought-provoking question, Denise. I can only speculate because to really know the answer would be to do it over again as a GG. I feel I'm the same person in demeanor/action whether en femme or not. My wife confirms that. I've only recently come to terms with my crossdressing and embrace it (as does my incredible wife). Publicly presenting en femme is a new experience although I'm getting more accustomed to it the more I do it.

I don't know why I think this, but I feel my mind and personality would have been identical whether I was born with a male body or female body. I've never really thought about it before now. I always just assumed that is the case. Maybe it's just difficult to imagine "me" being a different "me."

For me I would hope my personallity would remain the same if I were GG. But we need to think about the differences we would have growing up. Different friends different experianceses, Etc. Heck I could have been a boring walmart worker in either gender, scary.

Kymmie
    Just your average harley riding crossdressing biker

Why be normal??????

Really good question. It may not show, but I do make an effort to present in a way that is consistent with who I am, and I think my behavior when dressed more accurately demonstrates who I really I am. I can't really say how I might be different if I were a GG, except to say that I would be who I am only more so. ;-)

That's a good question,

I'm not sure who the real me is. The years of hiding my true nature and trying to be the man I'm suppose to be has made me an old grumpy depressed pessimist with little in the way of social skills.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Such a great question! As time has wore on, my taste in feminine clothes has changed (ummm, much less provocative and not ultra femme anymore) and my youthful personality has toned down (gee, I am getting older). But basically I'm the same person no matter how I'm dressed. I still like the Dallas Cowboys and the Texas Rangers (I'd love to go to an outdoor game in a summer dress sometime - that would be a kick). I'd like to think that I've developed my own sense of feminine style that looks right for me and that I would have the same style if I were actually a GG or if I were to fully transition.

The big difference, at least for me, is the way I talk. In drab at the at the burger counter: "Gimme a cheeseburger, fries and a Coke. Thanks" In femme "Uh, hi I'd like a regular hamburger and a diet coke, please". There's just about an octave difference between those two sentences too (yay, finally). After a looooog period of time my feminine voice is beginning to find it's "personality" too. I'm beginning to sound more like I should and not like I'm blandly reciting words ala Minnie Mouse.

Michelle

A very inciteful question Denise, I believe if I were a GG much of the inner personality that I now exude would be with me at all times. For as long as I remember, I have always been able to bond with the females in my life and be able to relate to their feelings on a one to one basis. Perhaps being raised with five sisters has helped me to undrestand my own feminine feelings.
    Luv and Jill

Straight, into Fantasy Land

Platinum Member
    I think am pretty consistent in terms of who I am. I don't pretend to be someone else...depending on how I"m dressed. I do feel more myself when I'm en femme.

I love the way I am, and feel very privileged to have experienced both genders,the last ten years or so I have mellowed a bit more towards the female side of my personality,which is softer than my male side, but that may also be because of my age

Hugs J-JAY
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Hugs J-JAY

Never underestimate the power of brains and a push up bra.

Never complain about growing old, far too many people have been denied that privilege".

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar
    I have been ME for all my 70+ years, no matter what clothes I am wearing! I know some people change their personality with their clothes, but I according to my late wife I don't. She said when I was properly dressed I was Stephanie, but that I was the same person as when I was in drab!! That is ME, I, or whatever!!
    Stephanie

Lady on the outside, but man underneath!

Im Me the cloths don't change what im inside,wearing the close helps me express my self better,when wearing my clothing i no longer stick out when shopping or looking at things im interested in ,got noticed all the time when i was in sort of man mode looking or taking an interest in thing i liked.

I posted as Nathalie on non-TG forums ( with avatar included) and some posters think I do this for sexual or provocative reasons despite that I am not. I'm just being me.

When I go out in public, my ultimate goal is to be a woman amongst the other women.
    I have no interest in shock or attention. I crave anonimity because I just want to be like every other woman. That being said, don't you think it's more gratifying being en femme, and flying under the radar in the public eye, than putting on your best sexiest outfit in a secure enviroment? I'm willing to be suspected even if I don't pass.

I like being both male & female publically. OK, I'm short (5'6") actually). I have been lucky enough to experience being a girl publically without anyone knowing.....at least for the most part.
    Last edited by NathalieX66; 01-07-2011 at 06:07 PM.

All things being equal ( in other words I get to keep this warped brain I have) I would be very much ...not like I am as a male. I would be a "party" girl (or would have been in my younger party days). I would dress very sensual (or as most here say inappropriately) and even at this age would probably spend more time in minis and short shorts when the weather allowed and slinky cocktail dresses this time of year. My male side is boring for the most part. I would be the same tease I am now and either very popular or hated (depends on the crowd).
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Observations re: life experiences are on the mark, IMHO, and would have some impact. That said, I think there's more than enough girl in me that I wouldn't be so much different. Would estrogen vs. T make a difference? I'd probably be mellower in some respects. It's a thought-provoking question.
    [SIZE="3"]Ali[/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]"You're as beautiful as you feel"... Carole King[/SIZE]

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

Not even CLOSE, Denise!

Sherry is an ATTRACTIVE woman, Robert is an unattractive man!

I NEVER got a chance to feel what it's like to be attractive until I was too old to appreciate it!
    I started dressing after 50.

If I had been born female, or even started dressing when I was younger, I would be a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT PERSON TODAY!

I can't properly describe the feeling! Because I NEVER felt it until I was older! Occasionally when Sherry has gone out and gets attention from admirers, I've felt a strong rush inside! Kind of a feeling of overwhelming power!

A feeling that I/Sherry could TAKE OVER THE ROOM, (the more folks in it the better), if we felt like it!

And, Robert has NEVER even had THOTS about doing that!
    Last edited by docrobbysherry; 01-07-2011 at 08:01 PM.
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

AS Popeye said. "I yam what I yam". No difference.

Truth, Love, Freedom Angiemead12's Avatar
    i would like to think so, I would still be goofy, funny and witty just in a pretty sexy version of me. Yet i have not tried working en femme so i cant totally answer the question but I would love to be a cross dresser dominating in my field of video production, racing and hospitality. With the looks and allure of a woman and the skills and logic of a man I think I would be unstoppable!

Suddenly I See
    what? where am i? i don't recognize this planet...
    This is something I was trying to figure out for a while... When i was younger, (earlier in my crossdressing experience) i tended to over accentuate the feminine, and completely ignore the masculine. I've spent so long hiding the Fem side that when i was able to express it, it was very intense.

More recently I've learned to accept everything that I am, be it F or M.

I think if you look at any person in the world, they are far more complex than any gender marker. I think if you give yourself the time to explore "you" then you might learn who you really are. (like I did) - not that i'm saying you need to explore anything, just talking about my experience.

Hugs!
    Kaylee