Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outed by Googlebots and cookies

Outed by Googlebots and cookies

While online shopping for clothes I apparently left a cookie trail that pointed from my computer right to "that" incredible dress. The next time I fired up the computer and went to one of our favorite weather sites, I noticed that the advertisement on the side of the page was that same incredible dress.

Yes, clearing the cache can be an important step when using a computer!

As much as I would love to have a social networking account as Christie, I can see lots of potential ways of coming out more than I feel comfortable right now.

Has anyone had similar stories?

I use Google Chrome and let's just say I'm glad this is a personal laptop. I get Avenue, Woman Within, (really the whole Redcats USA clothing family), 6pm.com, eBay women's shoes bids, Ideeli, etc. ads almost exclusively now. It's a constant reminder of Dani's likes and interests.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."
    Oscar Wilde

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar
    I bought some stuff from the Derm Store and suddenly their ads appear, and specifically for the kind of stuff I bought. It's just annoying!

tina

i do share my macbook with my male-self, so what i simply did is creating another user, protected by a password.
    When i boot it on, it starts always with the male user, which look exactly as the average guy user computer.
    If i want to do something related to helena, i simply switch the user to helena (well the name of the user is simply "H" as a precaution for just in case somebody plays with user and ask me who Helena is) and my macbook becomes the average CD user computer, with lots of pics of me, links and favorites that we all have.

this way i don't have to worry about leaving hints on my computer. My friends use it when they come home or we are on a trip and nobody will accidentally find something about helena.

just my two cents on Computer Safety for Crossdressers

You always have to watch the metadata...(it is the stuff that is sent without you knowing everytime you send something)... there are trails...

I am seriously thinking of getting a Kaz only laptop! I have had too many scares recently!
    Kaz xx

__________________________________________________ ____________

This Woman Within is Flying without Wings

Private browsing is your friend,
    I've used Firefox for a long time.
    CTRL-Shift-P and nothing gets saved.
    only problem of recent is logging in here
    every visit.

A lot of shoe stores that I shop at, end up on the side bar of my computer with ads. This dosen't bother because I am the only user of my computer. But, I can see where this could pose a problem.

When visiting a sports board, i am getting frederick's ads. Hmmmm...

Just another 'Gurl'
    Quote Originally Posted by VanessaVW View Post
    When visiting a sports board, i am getting frederick's ads. Hmmmm...

Yes Vanessa, interesting when I visit military sites I am getting adds for Victoria's Secret. Againn Hmmmmmm.
    Just another man in a dress

Yes its scary how web browsers track your movements i keep my user password protected just in case x

ok girls, now i know why i joined this site... i learn stuff! ok lets see???? i learned how to create cleavage. put on makeup, size dresses...uhhh now i have to learn why onestoppluss.com is always showing me these beautiful dresses on the side of my screen. ok girls what do i have to do to get rid of them?

uhhhhh maybe later...there is this cute georgette dress in blue.....ok i'm back, now how do i get rid of this? uhhhh ohhh look at those pumps , how adorable. MUST REMOVE SITE.....help!!!!!!

remove cache?????? i only use credit!

edit:

Now you've gone and done it...this thread just cost me $64.00 I wound up buying that dress that kept popping up!!!

http://www.onestopplus.com/clothing/...roductTypeId=1

hugs

msniki48
    Last edited by msniki48; 01-11-2011 at 07:19 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hugs, msniki48
    Blog
    http://nikishomeawayfromhome.spaces....x?sa=764853634

Silver Member
    First always use InPrivate Browsing when crusing where you don't want others to know about. Also you must be aware that the site you are visiting can place a cookie on your machine. While most sites don't record your IP address, they can. There are a whole lot of tracking cookies today. And of course Google knows who you are.

Probably the easiest way to protect yourself is to have a unique user name for when you want to surf the fem world. Make the password hard enough that your friends can't get it. If someone (wife) asks whats that, tell her your not sure. You were experminting and all of a sudden it came up. You have tried and can't figure how to get into it. You would delete it, but not sure what is connected to it.........

Or just come out. My wife knows and what I shop for on line so it wouldn't help me.

I use a separate browser for gender-related stuff, Flock, and Firefox for everything else. When other people use my computer, they use Firefox, so I keep that "clean" and so far, I haven't had any carry-over from one browser to the other. I used to like Netscape, as it could be set up so that you could have distinct users with their own Bookmarks and everything that couldn't be seen by other users unless they had your password.

Carol
    My name is Carol.

I am the only one to use this computer, And if my wife does happen to use it, then no real big deal.
    I am pretty sure that the kids would never even try. If to do, well then so be it.

I am pretty much done hiding anyways.

Now damn you, This is going to cost me money too.
    http://www.onestopplus.com/product.a...=2&rec=Certona
    Last edited by Raychel; 01-11-2011 at 08:12 PM.
    my sister's reply when I told her how I prefer to dress

"Everyone has there thing, all that matters is that you are happy, love what you do and who you do it with"

In google chrome, ctrl+shift+N opens up an "incognito window" that leaves no trace of anywhere you go when you are in the browser. A handy tip

I do that on purpose and have friends who dont cd who will run vitorias secret in a minimized window for a bit just to get the ads :-)
    If any one sees it just ask them what they rather look at a pretty model or bunch of whatevers you normally would see.
    I cant get rid of the ads so I might as well have pretty ones.

I do have a seperate windows user profile for the fem stuff; it doenst have access to an entire drive that holds info I wouldnt want to share and is password protected.
    It also has private folders for pics and stuff I wouldnt want to accidentally attach to something.
    But I shop under any profile and dont mind the ads.

I use Firefox with the Adblock Plus plugin so I never see the ads that caused Christie Ann's concern. That doesn't mean that they aren't generated, just that I don't see them.

I use Firefox's Private Browsing mode, but I have no illusions that it stops everything. It does stop the computer from "suggesting" things I'd rather keep to myself.

You can even modify Firefox's preferences to always start in Private Browsing mode if you so desire.

no problem, the tracking cookies are nothing compared to what big brother is doing now. and lots more planed to start with in a couple years.

nothing is privilege info on a computer, anyone with some knowledge can see every thing one wants to.

and i am not a puter hack, i just read and keep up with some stuff...even if i do not know what the heck they are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Eryn View Post
    I use Firefox with the Adblock Plus plugin so I never see the ads that caused Christie Ann's concern. That doesn't mean that they aren't generated, just that I don't see them.

I use Firefox's Private Browsing mode, but I have no illusions that it stops everything. It does stop the computer from "suggesting" things I'd rather keep to myself.

You can even modify Firefox's preferences to always start in Private Browsing mode if you so desire.
    I do the same thing. By the way, when someone tries to fix your computer for some reason they always want to look at your favorites. I can't understand why that would be important unless they are looking for some kind of virus producing site or something. Also because everyone else that uses your computer has an overwhelming need to look in there, I can no longer have favorites that lead to anything remotely feminine. It really is annoying.

Jeannie

Yes, I normally buy my stuff from overstock.com because i'm impressed with their delivery times and promptness. I am always seeing Overstock women's clothing ads, but that's what Incognito browsing is for when you use Chrome or RockMelt.
    ~Jennyfir~

Quote Originally Posted by Jennyfir View Post
    Yes, I normally buy my stuff from overstock.com because i'm impressed with their delivery times and promptness. I am always seeing Overstock women's clothing ads, but that's what Incognito browsing is for when you use Chrome or RockMelt.
    I also get Overstock, and quite a few others - much better than looking at chain saws or such.
    A prisoner in a kings disguise - Styx

I'm a bit paranoid but I generally use Opera as my main browser and then firefox(I have two profiles set up) for anything I don't want people to see. It's far too excessive considering nobody touches my computer and really haven't since I bought it years ago.

If you think that is bad, it won't be long before digital television is used to customize marketing. Your neighbors football game will have a beer commercial, and you will be on the same channel but get a Victoria's Secret commercial.

If you are really paranoid, run Linux as a virtual guest OS using VirtualBox, and install it with full encryption. Or, just run a mini OS. You can run SLAX Linux off of a USB key.
    Last edited by juno; 01-11-2011 at 09:16 PM.
    Juno Michelle Krahn

Normal people are weird. Stealth is another word for "in the closet".

For me its windows and this was proved when I had a personel (on line) conversation with one of their people. Believe me they know every thing we do on line! vivian fair

Ladies!

Altogether now: Firefox + adblock + web-elements +noscript + preference (options in MS WIndows version) set to private browsing or to clear history/cookies when you close Firefox.