Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Don't know what to do...

ConcernedMother

Exclamation Don't know what to do...

I think I've made a terrible mistake. I'm the 45 year old mother of a 14 year old son. About a week ago I came home early from work to discover my son in my bedroom, standing infront of my full length mirror admiring himself whilst wearing a skirted suit of mine, a pair of my shoes, and as it turns out, a pair
    of my underpants. Anyway, I was immediately furious [why, I don't know], and completely ignored him as he tried to explain himself. Instead, I took him over my knee and spanked him as hard as I could. I then told him to goto his room, change and bring me back my clothing. I'm guessing I was hoping this would somehow deter this behavior, but instead it's completely shut him off from me. He won't speak to me [or his father, even though I haven't told him], he won't come down for dinner... he just hides in his room.

In any event, I just don't know what to do to connect to my son. I don't know how to address this crossdressing without completely embarassing him. Not to mention spanking him in my clothes, which I almost immediately regretted [he was spanked very rarely as a child]. Sigh, I'm at a loss here. I happened upon this site after doing some googling on crossdressing, and thought perhaps someone might have an idea or two. Very very very much appreciated.

Formerly lisameaghan :) Lisa Maren's Avatar

Hi :)

Hello Concerned Mother.

First, what mother hasn't lost it and whacked her kid at least once? I got spanked a few times as a kid but I got over that. Somehow I understood that some degree of discipline is a parent's job, even if some of the time it's quite startling.

I don't have any children (or a wife for that matter) and so my advice to you is woefully limited to what would help me, but I suggest you write him a letter explaining to him that you wish to talk to him and that you've researched crossdressing. Let him know where your reaction came from. Basically reassure him in the letter that you wish to work through this with him in a constructive way. Reassure him that your intention is to support him however you can. Most of all, reassure him that you love him no matter what. You might try putting the letter in an envelope and writing "I'm Sorry" on the outside of the envelope so he can get an idea of your intentions before he even reads the letter. That might encourage him to read it.

I think kids expect their parents to make mistakes from time to time, and I think right now, his feelings are likely more along the lines of feeling scared and confused about his crossdressing than anything else. He may feel hurt by you, but all kids feel hurt by their parents from time to time. I'm 33 and I still feel hurt by my parents from time to time.

The last thing I'd like to say is that depending on whether he's researched the subject himself or not -- perhaps he doesn't know about nice forums like this -- you might know more than he does at least for now.

I hope it goes well for you and we're always here if you need more information or have more questions.

Lisa
    Last edited by Lisa Maren; 09-17-2005 at 07:15 PM.
    [SIZE="1"]What lies behind me and what lies before me are tiny matters compared to the girl who lies within me.
    -- A twist on Ralph Waldo Emerson

To know what you prefer instead of humbly saying Amen to what the world tells you you ought to prefer, is to have kept your soul alive.
    -- Robert Louis Stevenson

Ubi dubium, ibi libertas. (Where there is doubt, there is freedom.)
    -- Latin Proverb
    [/SIZE]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I think that you initial reaction was probably pretty normal.I am not sure about spanking a 14 year old boy, But what ever works in your family.

I think that if he will not talk to you you should leave him a note (maybe on his pillow) tell him exactly how you feel and what your initial feelings were that time that caused the reaction he got when you found him. If you have changed your mind and woudl like to open up talks with. Maybe you should run down to you local store and pick him up a pair of his own undies, Pin the note to that on his pillow. He still need to know that you love him and will try to accept him and his decisions thruout his life.

I would bet that he is feeling very ashamed of himself and embarrassed. Let him know that you are there for him to talk to when he is ready.

I hope that you will do alot of reading on this board. You will find tons of great people, and just as much great information. I personally think that in all my reasearch that this board is the most down to earth of all of them. If there is anything that I can do to help feel free to contact me.
    my sister's reply when I told her how I prefer to dress

"Everyone has there thing, all that matters is that you are happy, love what you do and who you do it with"

Well mom, this is a tough one if you ask me.... I was dressing when i was 14 and never caught ( by a parent).

Im goning to say a few things and hope you read them with an open heart and mind.

Take him and show him this site, at least this site doesnt have nudity. Let him see he's not alone, SUPPORT HIM, read and learn with him.

Take him on a little shopping spree to get his own clothing if you are going to support him like i wish i would have had in my younger years.

I'm telling you that he is embarressed and scared but from many of us here, crossdressing ussaly isnt just a phase.

Explaine that you were shocked scared and forgot that your suppost to suport your children in every aspect of life. Even Crossdressing.

If your dead set against his crossdressing, still explaine that you love him for all he's worth.

I dont know, as a crossdresser I have not hid it from my kids they and have seen me dressed.

Please be open with him on all your feelings about this. Someday he may have to face diffacultys with his own children and be able to look back on these moments in time with a open loving mind that I hope you will show him.

Best wishes and keep us posted on the awaking of you and your wonderful son.
    what a fool I use to be

Quote Originally Posted by size7satin
    Take him and show him this site, at least this site doesnt have nudity. Let him see he's not alone, SUPPORT HIM, read and learn with him.
    All good advice,Satin, but the owner of this site allows no members below age 18.

ConcernedMother,
    The following site does permit underaged members and has a good reputation.
    Good luck!

http://www.susans.org/
    “I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.”
    Marilyn Monroe

I didnt say make him a member, I sugested letting him see he's not alone. I dont want a bunch of highschooler pranksters running amuck in here......

But open both their minds & hearts togther will build a lifetime of love and support.

what a fool I use to be

Well if this isn't a wind up you are welcome to my advice.

I am a TG farther of a 14 year old boy, I love him to pieces! My issues aside we have a normal relationship.

Sorry. I am not going further at the moment due to recent events.

You want my help, PM me, I'll be happy to help, just not in public!

Racheal.
    I am a TV repair man, if I cant cure me nobody can!

I have a 13 year old daughter that has ADD and is in speech therpy, even though she is not a crossdresser she still has challegnes before her in her life. I can tell you that the times that I just lost it and went off on her, I got the same reaction from her, that your son is giving to you. I fixed it by being more gentle to my daughter and by giving her the support she needs in addition I don't try to be just a parent to her, I try to be a good friend to her as well. I must say that my daughter and I get along alot better becuase of this. Support and understanding is the best thing that you can give to your son right now. I also agree with the advice that satin and sharon had given as well.
    Best of luck to you

:flirt:
    Kayla Horn

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon
    All good advice,Satin, but the owner of this site allows no members below age 18.

ConcernedMother,
    The following site does permit underaged members and has a good reputation.
    Good luck!

http://www.susans.org/
    Sorry Sharon, I didn't expect you to be here!

I'm off, leave you to it!

Cheers, Rachael.
    I am a TV repair man, if I cant cure me nobody can!

Sanity's Revisionist RainyHaze GG's Avatar
    Hi,

Welcome to the forum. The members here are very helpful and supportive. I would also like to add there is a GG Forum here. GG means (Genetic Girl.) A wonderful group of supportive women.

I wish your family the best.

Rainy
    [SIZE="1"] [SIZE="3"]But at least I know I want a woman....no wait yeah a woman or maybe a guy that dresses like a woman and sounds like a man. Ok I know I dont want just a man. Everything else is sort of undecided.[/SIZE] [/SIZE]

From the Waist Down Rainbow6562005's Avatar

For Concerned Mother

Hi,

As a father of two adult sons, I certainly can understand why you reacted the way you did with your son. In my opinion, hitting him, though, was a massive wrong: inflicting your pain on him made two persons miserable, rather than one.

My thoughts: I think he needs good parenting here, as difficult as it may be for you. But both of you need to heal this breach in your relationship.

I think that intitially involves asking him whether he would be willing to talk with you about what happened (he may not right now; bullying him in any form will only drive him farther away).

Then, when he agrees to listen to you (which he will, probably, in time), apologize for hitting him. Ask him to forgive you. (He may not be ready to, yet.)

Ask him if he will listen to why you lost your cool: be straight and complete, keeping the focus on you, not him. Again, hold nothing back.

Then ask him to share his feelings before, during and after the incident. Listen as best you can. You might even try doing "mirroring," giving him back what you think you heard. (He may not be ready to tell you much right then.)

Finally, ask him how you can support him; and agree to do only whatever you're ready to do.

May things go smoothly for you both.

Rainbow
    Who's going to decide how you live: your parents? wife/husband? teachers? priests? politicians?

This sounds like a very tough situation. I can not really comment because I was never caught growing up. But as others have already said just let him know that you love him no matter what and if you choose to support this rather than be against it let him know that you will support him. If you choose to be against it still let him know that you will always love him and just leave it at that.
    "How can you find your fortune if you can not find yourself"

Hello concerned mother,
    I don't know if you will read this, but I would say the best thing you could do is to TALK to your son & TRY to understand that he has done this and will more than likely he will not dress for some time, but then he WILL dress again.
    I think you should tell him it's OK. You are fine with all this. You are not going to tell his father anything about it.
    He is probably hiding in his room because of your reaction and he is expecting you to have told his father. He will probably be expecting his father to have a worse reaction than you!
    I was caught out when I was a teenager living with my parents. They came home and my father walked up the stairs to find me stark naked in their bedroom with clothes all over the bed! He looked at me and just walked past the bedroom door towards the toilet. At the time I couldn't believe my luck, but have only recently found out (20 years later) that he has also cross dressed in my mother's clothes (via my wife).
    Why can we not all talk about our innermost feelings?
    If had talked to me, I think things would have clearer for me going through adolesence and maybe I wouldn't be so confused.

Anyway hope this is of some help.
    Karen

Concerned Mother,

First, you (nor your husband, if you chose to tell him about the incident) don't need to feel responsible for your son wanting to dress in your clothes. Crossdressing is something that he was BORN with and it's not anything that was due to you or your husband. I won't go into a lot of details here, but he can't help feeling the way he does. Also, it does NOT - by any stretch of your imagination - indicate in any way that he is gay, bisexual, or anything other than heterosexual, so if those are your worries you can rest your mind about it.

You are to be commended for researching crossdressing rather than taking an immediate negative attitude about it. You've already gotten some informative replies from the folks in the group and I hope those have helped you to begin to understand crossdressing a little better.

I would like to invite you to have a look at my web site where I think you'll find a lot of answers to the questions that I'm sure you have. Although directed primarily towards crossdresseres and their wives, there is a lot of information there that could be of benefit to you. It's a CLEAN site and the information there is down to earth so you need not worry about being embarrassed by what you find there. I would appreciate it if you DO visit the site if you'd let me know if you found it to be beneficial to you.

Dixie Darling -- http://www.geocities.com/senorita_cd

First I want to commend you for doing research and asking a group such as us. You realize you initial react was wrong, though understandable. I suspect you must be fairly open minded to even look into xdressing let alone ask for input.
    As for advice, let him know you love him no matter what and let him know you will stand by him. I would suggest allowing him to explore his feelings, with your guidence of coarse. If you are open enough to help him shop for some clothes, I think that would be very helpful. As with many aspects of growing up, it is difficult and confusing to him. He needs your support to become the great person you have raised him to be. I would wait to tell his father until he is comfortable telling him.

It may also be helpful to find a counselor in your area that is familar with young people and gender issues. It is important that he has someone safe and non-judgemental to talk to.

It is difficult for him to admitt these feelings/urges to himself, let alone to you. There is shame, embarrasment, and stigmas all around him telling him he is doing something wrong. He needs to know it is not wrong and he is ok!

Feel free to PM me.

As a concerned mother you may sometimes not know how to react to something you are learning for the first time especially if you are concerned about it. As a parent we are always concerned about our children and want everything to be perfect or just about perfect. The reality however is that not everything is perfect. I'm sure you are very loving and caring to your son and you mean well.

As a 14 year old things can be confusing and there are awkward stages of development. Kids that age are trying to fit in and are going through stages of growth and development that at times may not be so easy for them. There is also experimentation and times of quiet introspection.

As far as crossdressing goes usually it develops in a child's youth and it seems to be a part of them. There is no real answer as to why it develops in some boys but for most who do gravitate to it usually it is a part of their life they will fight throughout and go through so much trying to repress it. They will feel guilt, they will hide it from others, they will continue to dress throughout with times of not dressing at all.

There may be a good reason why you happened to catch him while he was dressing. You as a concerned mom should not ridicule your son for dressing up. You should try to put yourself in your son's place and try to understand what is happening in his life. You should have a real heart to heart talk and tell him that you will try your best to understand what he is going through and try to have him talk and most of all you must tell him how much you love him no matter what! Unconditional love! It may be a while or he may feel very embarrased. You may have to give him time. You may need time as well. It's not so easy to understand the human condition and all the things that we are or may be predisposed to.

I'm sure of one thing. Your 14 year old son is not the only boy out there trying on female clothing. There are more boys out there and men as well that are wearing feminine clothing then you could imagine. They are not really understood and usually do it in secret.

I hope you both can establish a stronger bond from this traumatic finding and try to realize that it's not the end of the world!

I wish you all well and please send me a pm if you wish to talk more about your situation.

You will definitely find all the people here very helpful and very caring. It may eve give you more of an appreciation for crossdressing!

Emmi

Dear Mom ,

tell him you ,overreacted......
    tell him your concernes.....
    tell him other well ajusted ,,respected people do "IT"...
    tell him you love him !! -no matter what ...
    Just Remember,"Wherever You go- There You are ! "

Dear Concerned Mother.

We have real ladies here in the forums (GG's) who could offer female advice as opposed to our male views. Don't get me wrong - the responses above are all valid and i concur with them.

What i'm saying is, women find it extremely difficult to understand why their ADULT husbands, boyfriends, etc crossdress! When you discover one of your children crossdressing in your clothing, the shock may be overwelming more so!

It's wonderful to see that you are trying to seek opinions to help yourself and your Son. If you decide to stay as a member long, maybe you should contact TAMARA who may let you join the GG FORUM (for ladies only - no men).

Finally, i recommend the letter to your Son at this stage. I don't think a talk will do any good initially as he is probably embarrased over being caught and is scared of more punishment. Lisameaghan (1st response) has got it right. Try her recommendation and make sure your Son has opportunities to raise the issue with you - let him know you're ready when he is.

Keep an open mind and display some understanding to your Son. But don't forget, this is a difficult situation for you too. You need some support also.

Christine.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Love And Devotion To My Online Family

I'm outa the closet, but still inda house!

my nic says it all obsessedwithpantyhose's Avatar

what to do

set the clothes u found him in on his bed while he is gone with a note that ur sorry for freaking out and that if he wants to talk ull listen to him

my mom caught me in my sisters pantyhose when i was 12 and freaked out n sent me to shrinks ,,30 yrs later im stilll dealing with the pain...

my dad and sis didnt care one way or another about my wearing,,,i wear my pantyhose 24/7 and now dress fully if im goin to the bar

Happy to Be...
    Hmmmm - He wears the same sized shoes as you do?

Danielle

My heart goes out to you and your son. Your reaction was understandable, although you have done a great deal of harm, your sensitivity in reaching out shows that you will do whatever it takes to make this right for the both of you. I agree with the advice to leave him a note assuring him that you love him and will be with him, no matter what. Right now his ego is shattered, and he needs some time to deal with the shock of being discovered. Maybe some good will come out of this if he comes to terms with his feelings instead of suppressing them, as so many of us did when we were his age. Good luck to you both.

Quote Originally Posted by KatsMeow
    Hmmmm - He wears the same sized shoes as you do?

Danielle

Say what?

Anyway, there is not much that I can say since I was never caught when I was young. But, I saw mentioned before that for many this is not a phase. And that is so true. I am much younger than many here. I am only 29, and have been dressing for over 21 years already. But it took me till I was 25 to share it with anyone. I worked thru it alone until then. And I was 27 before I accepted that part of myself. And many ups and down along the way while the two sides fought for the same real estate if you will. Now I am happy with and ok with who I am. this is just a little insight from me as to how one feels and how long one copes with being a CD. Best of luck and wishes with you and your son.

April
    no matter how much love we have, we can not feel it if we are not happy inside

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting "Holy ****, what a ride!",author unknown

Women to me are gods greatest forms of beauty and art in motion.

Dear Mom:

First, I want to congratulate you for getting past your initial feelings and committing yourself to finding out more about this.

It gets a little confusing, because

- not all crossdressers are transgender,

- most transgender folks aren’t gay/lesbian/bi, and

- the transgender spectrum includes many from “vanilla” crossdressers all the way to post-operative transsexuals.

At 14, your son may not really know where he fits in to all this. The important thing is that sex, sexuality and gender are not necessarily linked. A “T-friendly” therapist could probably help him a lot.

When I was first starting to unravel this for myself, I found these links helpful:

http://www.altsex.org/transgender/

http://www.debradavis.org/gecpage/gectransinfo.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transgender

http://www.answers.com/topic/list-of-transgender-related-topics

The most important thing to know is that TG is not a “lifestyle choice”. It is a real part of us. No matter how much we try to repress it, it always comes back. So, it’s a lot better to just come to terms with it. It is not a mental disorder!

Good luck to you!

Hugs

[size=3][size=2]Rachel[/size]

[/size]
    Last edited by Rachel Ann; 09-18-2005 at 12:47 AM.
    In another time's forgotten space
    Your eyes looked through your mother's face
    Wildflower seed and sand and stone
    May the four winds blow you safely home
    - Robert Hunter

I think some on here have forgotten what its like to be a 14 year old. The poor kid is probably dying with embarrassment and doing what most teenagers do in the situation hiding away in his room till it has blown over a bit.

Hopefully now you have researched it a bit, you will realise this doesn't automatically mean your son is gay or a future sex change candidate. At 14 he is expeirementing to discover who he is.

The last thing your son will want is to talk about it. I know I've been there and when my mum caught me she asked the once about it then dropped it and never spoke of it again. For that I was very greatful, at 14 or 15 you are not ready to deal with people knowing your intimate secrets.

My advise would be to give him a hug say your not mad at him anymore, maybe lay down the law that your clothes are off limits and then carry on as normal. Do not start searching his room when he is out for traces of this being more than a phase.

When a little older he may be ready to talk about it, but don't force him now.

Just love him.

Mom,

Sometimes it's very scary, sometimes not, it has been for me, you know in a way your son is very fortunate to have come out to his mother regardles of the circumstances at fourteen years of age. Mom, just accept him as he is, if this is the way your son was made, please let him be himself, it will be better for all concered that way, you can be of invaluable help to him in his developementand his search, Oh, my, the things that you will be able to advise him on, the things you will be able to teach him will prevent much hardship on you son's part. I envy him, I really do, I am old man who has had no help from anyone, I have two children in their forties and six grand children. Dear mom, stay with this group, you will learn much from those who are in a position to help you and thus to help your dear son. Do you want to know something dear, this recognition of the feminine within the masculine, and of the masculine within the feminine is a most beautiful gift.

I will hold your family and yourself in my prayers.

Astrid.