Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: College

College

I got accepted to Western Michigan U a few days ago, im 18 and really excited for the fall. but heres my dilemma. should i "closet" crossdress at college or should i avoid it. im only wondering because i want to know if i should bring my "things" with me or leave them behind. FYI only my parents know about my crossdressing so it would be no trouble leaving them at the house.

You probably should take it with you, so you can wear it when you get the urge to away from home. Depends on how far you will be living from home I guess. If you live close you could just leave it behind and go get it some other time if you decide you want it.

Congrats, girl for getting accepted into Western Michigan U. College is your opportunity to experiment and explore. You can go out into the world and be yourself. You can dress both at school and at home. Your school does have a Gay-Straight Alliance, and since its a public school, its covered under civil rights laws.

Pretty much anything is okay on college campuses. Do what the hell you want. I went to college at 18, didn't socialize, tried to dedicate myself to study and nothing else ...... it didn't work. Now I'm 23, back in college, and doing it right this time with clubs and people (and yes, I still find time to study). I got D and F grades when I tried to be a workaholic .... taking it easy, I pull As and Bs.

i am currently in college myself, and having a collection at school is very fun. risky, but fun. you have to be careful with when you do it (like if you are to tell your roommate or not). I am a closet dresser in my dorm room, its a rush to do it, but depending on if you want anyone to know is one of the first things to look at. I once got caught by my roommate, but he luckily never mentioned it to anyone, nor did we have any mutual friends. if you are comfortable letting them know, be aware of getting a "gay" flag placed on you, it can cause lots of problems if you are against it. in college, word travels in college just as fast as it does in high school. otherwise, it can be a great experience.

If I was your age again.... ANYWAY,bring your girlclothes to school...you need them to help you cope...like the rest of us...Best of luck,Rogina

Take your stuff with you. You may wish to just leave Claire in the suitcase or you may have many opportunities to dress.

Let me put it to you this way...

If you plan on taking your brain with you, Claire is coming too. And it'd be kinda insulting if you didn't pack her any clothes to wear. Just sayin'.

If there's anywhere you can be a tranny, and be popular with the ladies at the same time, it's in college.

The difference is... your personality. Are you shy, or outgoing?

It's all an open slate.

I would take your stuff, I know I would if it was me.

Hello Claire,

I'm with the others. Take your things with you.

Unfortuneately, there are still quite a few bigots around. I ran into one a few years ago when I went back to school. My offense? I hung a shocking pink shower curtain to stop him from leaving water all over the bathroom floor after he showered. Asking that it be cleaned up didn't work, and I wasn't willing to go off campus to get a more appropriate colour.

Good luck with your studies.

Congrats Claire! College will be a blast. I agree with Amber, Most Colleges has Groups/Alliances/Clubs for all groups of people. Look em up on the college website and contact them before you go.

Congratulations Claire! I've heard that WMU is a really good school!

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

Claire, the answer to your question is a no-brainer. Yes, you will want to have your things with you at school.

I'm assuming that this is your first time living away from home. You're going to find an entirely new social structure in school, and it is going to be a wonderful experience. Don't repress yourself by leaving this part of your personality ar home, but learn how you want to express it. This is the perfect oppurtunity to find out how Claire fits into the world. There are few places more accepting and tolerant of alternative lifestyles than a college community. Investigate and take advantage of the resources that I am sure will be available at school.

Oh yea, be sure and keep the grades up, too!
    I learned the laws of physics by watching Road Runner cartoons.

Do you have that, in a tall?

You only live once so you might as well take your stuff. I wouldn't say to bring everything, but bring some stuff. I'm going through the same problem, whether or not to bring my clothes to college or not. I will be about an hour from home, so I may bring up a few pairs of undies and thats it. I'm not sure yet. I am worried about getting caught, because it would make for an awkward situation.

Silver Member
    I was in your situation about ten years ago, so I can relate. Take your stuff with you. It is wonderful you have accepting parents too (my parents knew, but my old man did not approve whatsoever.)

Now, whether you should dress openly or not is another issue. Will you be living on or off campus? I had to live on campus (ugh did that suck), I dressed and went out but I didn't do it at school or even in the same community; I went to a nearby city. I knew it would not go well if I were known to be a crossdresser, lots of testosterone and booze on my campus. I would just be careful and weigh the risks involved with your classmates knowing about you. As a previous poster said, word can spread fast if you are discovered.

Since I've worked on more than enough college campuses let me give you my perspective. Bring some clothes but not all, after all, when you go home on break you'll need clothes and it'll be a hassel bringing then all back and forth. You can always buty more. Take a good long look at your environment on campus. Who are the people you are hanging around with, are they type of people who might be accepting? DO NOT MAKE ANY PERMANENT DECISIONS UNTIL AFTER THE FIRST YEAR! After the first year you are in a more mature frame of mind and most of the adjustments you will make have happened. It is always cool to see how much more confident sophmores are than freshmen.

Most campuses have a group that is GLTG supportive, look to see if that group is one you might enjoy. Get involved! Most of all remeber this is just one of the stages in your life and if you let it, it can be a wonderful growing experience! Also you are off to a great start since Mom and Dad are supportive, use them for their input.

Good luck to you.
    Dana Fleming

Worlds Prettiest Dad!!! Jocelyn Quivers's Avatar
    I will go from my own college experiences. I was 18 upon entering college, at the time I made a self agreement that this wearing women's clothing had to stop immediately and right now. So with the best of intentions and with 100% determination I purged what few items I had before leaving to go campus. I also felt empowered because I was trying out for the football team as a walk on. So if there was ever a point that I was totally all male and would stop dressing this would be it. For an entire week everything went well I felt as if I was cured. Then a few days later, everything came back with a vengance and there I was dressing again, luckily I did not have a roomate at the time.
    [SIZE="3"]MUSCULAR GIRLS ARE PRETTY!!![/SIZE]

Current Inspirational Song-"Running Free"- Kissin Dynamite

M-E-A-T, M-A-C-H-I-N-E, MEAT MACHINE!, MEAT MACHINE!!!
    The Governor for President 2016!!
    All I want for Christmas is an Anita Model Synth

Definitely take your clothes. I wish I had been more open in college. Those were the times!

Gawd I wish I would have had the good sense to have a femme wardrobe in college!!! Take your stuff!

I say take the clothes; it's important to have these things to express yourself! Just be careful where you put your things and keep safety in mind. See if the college has any clubs for LGBT people, so you can have a "safe place" to go out to, if you are comfortable doing that.

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    Take your things with you. If the desire strikes and you don't have your own clothes there, the chances of doing something that could turn out badly increase significantly. You will also probably discover one or more support groups, safe places or opportunities for your dressing.

However, do remember to take your self control along as well. If the Pink Fog hits and you don't keep up on your responsibilities, school could become very difficult. Remember you are there paying for the education. Good luck.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

Take you clothes, makeup, and forms to school. You are going to need them to cope with the stress.
    Your desire to dress is not going away!

You may be busy at school the first few days. Let things settle down and when you are all alone....you will want her with you!
    If you feel the need to explain yourself. Smile and Educate. Be proud of who you are!

."ALWAYS, SIT, SPIN, AND TUCK ONE FOOT BEHIND THE OTHER....NEVER CROSS YOUR LEGS"

Emme as in "M"

I started college when I was 30 and did night school. I would have really enjoyed going to college at 18 and having the opportunity to be "out" around such a potentially tolerant environment. It really comes down to how comfortable you are being out. If you understand the risks and keep yourself safe, you are your only limitation. Congratulations on starting college and good luck with whatever you decide.

You should actually go to Eastern Michigan. A more liberal minded school.