Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do Doctors Care if you are a Cross Dresser?

Living Dead Girl Schatten Lupus's Avatar
    As much as they probably see it, it would be surprising if they do care. When I had carpal tunnel surgery about a year ago, I had my toe nails painted. The bedside nurse said she was going to take off the sock things they gave me to wear to the OR, and put my socks back on. I protested this because my feet are smelly, prone to athletes foot outbreaks, fungal rashes, and probably have psoriases (I really do need a biohazard sign tattooed on them). I really hate that she probably took my protesting because of the nail polish, but no one seemed to care or think anything of it.
    Gott weiß ich will kein Engel sein

It depends on the particular Doctor but not generally. You are paying them, right?
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Well, doctors have seen everything. If they make negative comments, I'd consider another physician. I have told all of my doctors that I cross dress, and let them know about whatever supplements and med's that I take. As I've mentioned in a previous post, my current doctor is wonderful -- she gave me my first breast exam last month (no, I'm not on HRT but do take herbals).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Proud member of the Lacey Leigh Fan Club

I'm diabetic, and the last time I went in for a checkup, the Nurse Practitioner wanted to check my feet for neuropathy. She never said a word about the OPI "I'm not Really a Waitress" polish on my toenails. (It was a bit of a disappointment, if truth be told.)
    Last edited by Christen3042; 01-19-2011 at 10:41 AM.

Again, I'm willing to put my priviliges of posting on this forum on the line to try to bring a bit of reality to those who like to live in a fantasy world. If you prefer to believe that everyone loves you, don't scroll down, and go to the next post, please.

Doctors, nurses, and every other person who works in health care are no different from the rest of the world. They simply have a different job. Many, in fact, most, will behave appropriately to us (to our face) when they encounter any evidence that we are outside of the 'norm' when it comes to sexual/gender presentation. But don't for a minute think that you don't get talked about by them when they're out of your hearing range, any differently than by any other folks that laugh at others who are different. Just like the vast majority of the rest of the world, most believe that we are gay/ts/or just plain nuts; I recently overheard derogatory discussion about a transitioning person who came in with a complaint of rectal bleeding; they assumed that he deserved it because he was probably sticking things into himself in places that he shouldn't. Turned out he had ulcerative colitis; but the automatic assumption had been made, based on what they thought of anyone who dares cross the gender lines. Yes, some professionals do behave professionally, but many are just as prejudiced as the rest of the general population. Just because you don't see and hear it, doesn't mean it isn't happening behind your back. Please be careful out there. The world is not as friendly as you think.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Aspiring Member
    I think most doctors could care less about your crossdressing if it isn’t affecting your health and their workload.

Docs (including my former scoutmaster family GP) have seen my underwear and shaved body several times without saying a word. The last time I was in, it was a bad case of hives and I wouldn’t have cared who saw what since I was so miserable. Fortunately, the GP and dermatologist were more concerned with the anaphylaxis than they were my decidedly uninteresting skivvies.

I feel I am very lucky, Since the break up of my marriage, the Doctors and councilors I have seen all know about my CDing. My family doctor and I have had many discussions about the crossdressing. He has seen me in feminine panties, shaved legs, chest and arm pits. He has never once put me down, just been excepting about it. I underwent a year of of counciling for depression. The doctor and 3 councilors I seen all told me I could come "dressed" anyway I wanted. I see a chiropractor once a week. He has seen me a few times in my feminine panties and cares less. I also see a massage therapist once a month, She also does my pedicures, she has asked me to dress femme anytime I see her and I have a few times.

Hi . i hope they dont care because i bin all my male pants and i always have my nails painted . when i am at work it puts a smile on my face . love deanna .

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Christen3042 View Post
    I'm diabetic, and the last time I went in for a checkup, the Nurse Practitioner wanted to check my feet for neuropathy. She never said a word about the OPI "I'm not Really a Waitress" polish on my toenails. (It was a bit of a disappointment, if truth be told.)
    {Pet Peeve}I have got diabetes, but I refuse to "be diabetic" - when I had flu, no-one wanted me to be flu-ic.{/Pet Peeve}

Last year, when I wanted to get help from the medical practice that I attend, I wore one of my prettier nail polishes for my diabetes clinic appointment. The nurse - who is also a former constituent and a friend - complimented me on the nail varnish then waited for me to decide if I wanted to say more (which I did). She then recommended the doctor who she thought would be most appropriate to help with my gender dysphoria whilst also watching out for complications due to my diabetes.

That doctor is a really lovely person who wants to undertake the journey of my transition with me. At our last appointment, I apologised for taking up so much of her time (although we were talking a lot of the time about her impending childbirth) and she said that she had enjoyed it and that maybe next time we should have a chat over coffee.
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

Aspiring Member
    My doctor, a female, and I attend the same Catholic Church told me on my last visit that if I see her at mass to introduce myself as she was sure that she wouldn't recognize me in male mode. I replied that in that case I should attend church as Annie to save her the embarrassment of not knowing who I was. The ladies in the office oftentimes spend a few minutes talking about shopping and clothes when I am finished with my appointment and paying my deductable. The more you are around people, either in a professional or casual situation and you are just yourself, I think they tend to become more accepting and look beyond what you are weari ng. Yes, perhaps they talk about me when I am gone but I really think that it is a more positive nature rather than negative.

Not sure where I am yet Jay Cee's Avatar
    One doctor that I almost signed up for as a regular patient had a very strong negative opinion about homosexuality (it's a mental health problem, according to him). I steered clear of him after hearing about that, thinking that he wouldn't have a favourable opinion of CD'ers either.

I would think that any health care professional would keep their mouth shut when treating a CD'er, and treat that person as well as any other "normal" patient.

Quote Originally Posted by Kate Lynn View Post
    My doctor called me a creep and walked out of the room,I was wearing bootcut jeans,oxfords,and a pocket tee,it didn't look femme at all.
    Report him to the state medical board. Whatever his opinion, he had no right to treat you that way, it is a violation of professional ethics. Obviously you should dump him as a doc, but he (I presume it is a he) needs to be reported to the states medical monitoring body. It may not do any good but it needs to be done.
    I am a medical professional, a Nurse Practicioner, and agree with most of what has been posted. Most medical folks will at least treat you professionally in person, many will be friendly, but they will talk about you because you are different. We also talk about the little old lady who drinks heavily, the young guy who comes in covered with tattoos, and anyone else who is different, we are human. The one thing we don't do, we can't do under federal law, is identify you to anyone who is not involved in your care. I have cared for famous people and can't say a word about who they are. I have even cared for a somewhat famous person who was in transition, again I can't say who, or even what they are famous for.
    If a person is crossdressed, I would only be interested professionally if it impacted my care of them. As some have posted, shaving of body hair may be due to other reasons, nail polish may conceal some health issues, etc. It would be important to me to know if someone is on HRT or had some kind of surgery (SRS, BA, FFS, etc). On a personal level if I felt it appropriate I might talk about CD and TG issues with them, even revealing myself as TG if I felt it helpful to their care, but it wouldn't affect my care of them. Most of the people I work with wouldn't have a problem either, again they might find it different and talk about it, but would not identify the patient or breach confidentiality. What I am saying is that if you need to talk about CD or TG issues with a medical professional, don't be afraid to, and if they ask, don't try to hide it. Don't accept anything less than totally professional care, they don't have to be friendly but they should not judge you or make you feel bad. Unless it's an emergency, you can always find another medical provider, and you should if you don't like the way they treat you.......Stephanie

Ouch! That sounds like it hurt. lol
    I have a better question for you - Do YOU care if a Doctor cares?
    I do my job. You do your job. The doctor is gonna do his. Why would you care what he thought about your toe nails?

Do Doctors Care.....?

Years ago, I injured my back (due to psyatic nerve). I went to one doctor who just told me rest and take a couple of days off. A couple of years later, at another job, it went out again (same problem). At that time, chiropractors were'nt too respected as health professionals. After talking with several people, I decided to try one that was being recommended by those I talked with. He x-rayed and found the problem (retarded vertebrae in lower part of back). After going for several sessions for adjustments and treatments, on one occasion, I had forgotten that i had an appointment until the wife called to remind me. I was CDing that particular day. Oh no, my bra left and imprint all across my back! I went in, took off my shirt, laid on the table, and he did all of the adjustments, manipulations, and treatment and never said a word. So, on this one experince, I would say "no", and if they do, they handle it in a very professional manner.

Another doctor (the one who delivered our children) once made the comment to us when we had taken one of our children in for a check-up once told us that when he was in med school, one of his rotations required him to ride with the abulance in the city of his school. He just made the comment how that it was not unsual to pick up a victim or patient, thinking they were transporting a woman to the hospital, only to find out after further investigation that it was a man dressed as a woman. He didn't say anything negative about it, but he did say it in atone that was somewhat demeaning, or so I thought.

I went to get my annual check up at VA in nov. Iwas a new provider. She didn't say a word about my underwear. I had worn a joe boxer string side bikini pantie. When I had my motorcycle accedent in 08 I had one comment from a nurse about my painted toes. but it was " Oh, painted toes"

Kymmie
    Just your average harley riding crossdressing biker

Why be normal??????

In answer to TX Kimberly. No I don't care what they think. I have been back twice to have the wound checked and redressed and today had a male nurse. Nothing was said, no funny looks, just did his job. In and out in 5 mins.

My GP was the first person I outed myself, actually she noticed my shaved body and waxed brows and read me right and asked me if I was gay but she was very professional and only did it because she considered something was not right with my stress and depression...we had a nice talk basically with issues pertaining my emotional and physical being..she also referred me to a therapist

This is a tough one because we can't paint everyone with the same brush. For every person we meet in a professional setting there is a different set of beliefs, tolerances, experiences etc. Sort of just like us.

A couple of years ago I had to take a nuclear stress test at a local hospital. The process involves a number of people including doctors, technicians, and anesthesiolegest (sp). While I was busting my butt on the treadmill while hooked up to a ton of wires the so called professionals conversation revolved around a recent patient that was male but had boobs and was obviously a transgendered person. So although there was not reference to any identity the fact is that the person (and all of us by definition) was the subject of a rather unprofessional discussion. This was not a fly by night operation but a world class teaching hospital. I'm not sure they were deriding the patient but there was no question that these professionals were enjoying the conversation.

As I said, we are all different and all the same. Just think of how many times is our lives we relished the opportunity to share some juicy gossip.

The funny thing about that is at least one of them was probably a crossdresser. Seems to me that the higher the intellect the more likely a male is to crossdress. I was a scientist and I love my crossdressing. I was a volunteer paramedic and had one incident where an older male was underdressed. He had been in an auto accident and was slightly hurt, but he had a heart attack(mild) worrying as to whether he would be 'found out'. I removed all his underthingies and put them in a biohazard bag. He recovered and I could never say anything that might compromise his identity. Even at my low level we were not allowed to discus patients private info.

Two years ago I was diagnoses with bladder cancer, had the cysts removed 3,all went fine.Doctor(urilogist) told me it was early stage, did not invade any soft tissue. I go back for check follow up every 3 months now (everything negative so far). My urologist and his staff have seen Jackie dressed with no negative comments,infact last app. i did not dress and staff made comment you did not dress for us today. lol

Gold Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TxKimberly View Post
    Ouch! That sounds like it hurt. lol
    I have a better question for you - Do YOU care if a Doctor cares?
    I do my job. You do your job. The doctor is gonna do his. Why would you care what he thought about your toe nails?
    I have to say, yes I do care. The reasoning is that I don't want a doctor in the room with me who is in hurry to get out. He may be putting up with it because he has to, but if he hates it, his mind may not be on the task at hand. And I want my doctor 100% with me and not 99% or lower. There are enough out there that I don't want to force one to "put up with me" because of professional ethics. I would rather just say "Next!". Now I realize that many may not be that way, but my health is too important to gamble with.

I wonder how many doctors crossdress?
    Whenever I have worn a skirt in male mode, there have never been any issues at all.

Wonder if the doctor is a crossdresser, that would be something to consider.

Well here's my take.

When I get a physical from my GP, and he's starting to examine the genital area, he always seems to ask at the same time how my social life is going. I take that to mean, am I sexually active? I don't crossdress or underdress when I go for my doctor visit. I have no intention of telling him the truth ---- that "Karen" is my own social life. I just say I'm not seeing anyone.

Now here's another point to ponder. Doctors hate when women wear high heels because of what they do to the feet and posture. I wonder if my doctor can tell from looking at my feet that I often wear 6-inch heels around the house. And what if somebody had an injury related to walking in high heels, such as pulling a hamstring, falling down the stairs, etc. How does one explain that?

Karen

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    There is no need to explain anything. Even if there were, people get hamstring injuries without wearing heels so you just say that you had been doing a bit more taxing exercise than usual. Falling down the stairs need not be caused by high heels, in fact inthe majority of cases it is cause by losing your footing.
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity