Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Girl Voice or Guy voice, when in public??

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Freeman View Post
    It's odd to think about this - my voice doesn't change, but how I use it does - the inflections change slightly.
    Jennifer Freeman
    [/B]
    BINGO!!!! I have a long way to go but that is how I do it.
    Sarah

when I have been out 1st time, I didn't get my teeth to open, but to smile only.

But than I found this link and do practice this now (also by recording my own voice and listen to it for self assessment) and the more I do this practice, I believe I will be more confident to use it out in public as well.

http://www.looking-glass.greenend.org.uk/voice.htm
    You have only this one Life - make the Best out of it ....

Natalee, I always use the voice that I was born with which often draws a double take from whom ever happens to be around me. Passing is an over rated concept. To me personally it is a form of "deception". And perhaps one can say that how I present myself could be considered a 'deception" too. And they would probably be true if a kept my darn mouth shut but once I start talking it removes all doubt as to "what" I am.

"It's a guy!" "She's a he." "That ain't no woman. That is a man!!" I've heard it all.

It's just little old me....Dawnmarrie.
    CANCER IS A BITCH SO YOU HAVE TO BE MORE OF A BITCH TO BEAT IT.

To be honest, I had to laugh out loud! I pictured GG's trying to make their voices manly, before going out in public, in jeans!!!!!!!!!

I have a deep male voice, I have gone out several times and have rarely had the need to speak anymore than a few words. I whisper and use a lot of body language and nodding and such to basically say, thanks, but I'm fine on my own. At parties, I don't try to fool anyone and speak in my natural voice and people enjoy it. They tell me I look like a female until I speak and in some rare cases they didn't put it together until my wife called me her husband. ...there is some enjoyment in outting yourself at a party because people are usually facinated by the transformation, but I don't let on that its anymore than a party activity. ...all that said, I am working on a female voice because I would love to just go out in daylight and be able to chat up a storm without raising too many eyebrows.
    Chickie

My goodness! Whats a feminine voice? lol sigh..... don't I wish.....

My voice is a bit midrange, but it's unpredictable.
    I can't tell you how many times, while en femme I've interacted with sales attendants, waitresses, even the person behind the counter at Starbucks thinking my gender-ambiguous voice is going to roll off my tongue, then I hit the deep registers (yikes!).
    I've gotten so worried about it, perhaps unnecessarily so....mainly because I don't want to blow a good thing when I've gotten decent ( and hopefully unfazed) reaction by the people I've mentioned above to the point I've made hand gestures instead of talking. I honestly enjoy interacting with people, but I've gotten too self-conscious as of late, and I don't think that's a good thing.

When I go out I use my girls voice and address people normally. At first I was nervous but I got used to going out as Cindy or Angela ( my other character). I almost slipped up when I was on line at Stewarts. The lady behind the counter was helping another customer and I was next when someone asked her a question for help. She said this lady is next and I thought what lady? I'm next. Then the long brown hair of my wig caught my eye and I remembered I am the lady she was talking about. I almost gave myself away. I would advise you if you want to go out start small. Grocery stores, Dukin Donuts. Just remember to look serious and act as your girlself. Good luck. Cindy.

I am still working on my voice but I think I finally discovered it for sure a few days ago. I had worked on a variety of techniques but my voice just sort of fell into a place that finally sounded feminine without sounding fake. When I am dressed it just doesn't feel right to not use a more feminine voice. I almost feel like that voice is the voice that has been trying to break out of me for years!

April

Ina Fried is a reporter for CNET and a TG who has transitioned full time. You can find videos and interviews on the Internet. As far as I can tell, Ina uses a natural manly sounding voice.

I'm going to post this publicly but since you asked the question Here I am. If you're musically inclined at all. Think of a scale: do re mi fa so. It's the so pitch you want to use for a femme voice. Best, Elena Ornamental (accent on the last syllable)

When I did wear skirts in public, I deliberately acted shy, and spoke very softly and very little, and used hand gestures a lot... when I go out in womens' jeans and tops and ear rings, I use my normal guy voice...