Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Girl Voice or Guy voice, when in public??

Question Girl Voice or Guy voice, when in public??

I've never gone out in public, dressed to the 9's. I've only done random things like: nail-polish, covert clothing items, minimally dressed in a drive-thru, or fully dressed under my winter coat. I only wonder (and day-dream) to myself, of the full experience of going out in public. And everything that entails.

So, I'm VERY curious, how YOU personally handle interaction with others..

When YOU are going out in full attire, make-up, heels, everything. Do you, use a "girl" voice; or your "guy" voice? Do you address certain people differently, or does it depend on how much you are dressed?? Do you ever slip-up, in this regard?

When I'm working in my office, and on the phone, I'm almost always dressed; but I always use my normal guy voice..

Aspiring Member Dawna Ellen Bays's Avatar
    Let's put it this way...I don't have a "girl" voice...

If I'm dressed but working from home... I am working so it's who they expect..

Out and about... I haven't got to talking yet... on the occasaions I have had to interact it had been a bit a mumble! I need to work on this but to be honest as I am getting seriously into facial decline (i.e I am increasingly looking look like an old man in the bathroom mirror), I more concerned with make-up techniques... though I did buy a digital recorder and I should use it to work on this! I must admit having a female voice would be very helpful!
    Kaz xx

__________________________________________________ ____________

This Woman Within is Flying without Wings

I always use my guy voice.

Born in Scotland - live in Western Australia.
    It's odd to think about this - my voice doesn't change, but how I use it does - the inflections change slightly.
    Jennifer Freeman

I've not worked on any sort of femme voice yet. I keep meaning to do a few trials, but haven't got round to it yet. Speaking in a passable female register would be fantastic, but I think it takes a LOT of work. Otherwise I speak softly in my normal male voice

Quote Originally Posted by Kittykitty View Post
    My wife's biggest complaint when we go to tg events are the folks that refuse to work on their voice, but pass in every other way. No one expects perfection, but some of them could at least TRY.
    I am thinking of being out in my skimpy black dress, heels, diamante sandals, hair to perfection, make-up, nails just right... and I open my mouth.... and Darth Vader speaks to the nation!
    Kaz xx

__________________________________________________ ____________

This Woman Within is Flying without Wings

I always use a voice appropriate to how I am dressed. I think it must not be too bad because I don't get any funny looks, even when I dressed to go to car shows and talked to two or three guys at a time sitting by their cars under canopies! When I sing, I sing base, so I have to go up an octave, but it comes out pretty naturally and I don't even think about it.

I use a softer me voice. (and I'm sure they know I'm a guy). If I tried to pull of a female voice it would come across as a mix between Mini Mouse and Rosanne Barr!

If you are "out-and-about" you have to speak or you will immediately invite scrutiny. Women often casually talk to other women, even complete strangers. Not responding will attract attention.

My "guy voice" is deep and distresses me. In girl mode I raise it as much as I can without going into falsetto, soften it as much as possible, drop the volume and try to use more fluid feminine variations. It seems to work as no-one gives me funny looks nor questions it, but I wish it was better.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

Very interesting, I love the diversity of responses. I have seen a YouTube on voice training; I may try for fun one day off (alone!)

Kaz, I feel exactly the same!

My God, KittyKitty that Pink-Vader posting was classic!

I just have a guy voice, but you will always see me with earrings and my purse!

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar
    If you look at the threads here that talk about voice, you will eventually come across a lovely young trangendered woman who is there to talk about not using your bass vocal cords, and the notion that it is totally incongruous to use a male voice when completely en femme. She makes her point but suddenly going back to her male voice and it's: OMG!!!!!

That convinced me. Tina has been working on her femme voice for 18 months and she uses it whenever she can. The male me also practices when alone because it's not just the voice and pitch, it's the changed nature of vocal inflection that's really hard! When we don't have that bass resonance anymore, inflections have to come from somewhere else, and that takes practice to be natural!

So it's very much a femme voice for Tina...effectively, a voice for Tina! Her voice.

tina

mini kilted chick t-girlxsophie's Avatar
    I've never put on a girlie voice when out as I dont think it would change anyones perceptions of me if i talked softly,I dont pass so it seems pointless to me,also I just sound like a really bad caricture of a woman,sort of little britain crossed with monty python

Sophie
    We look to Scotland,for all our Ideas of Civilisation-Voltaire

========================================

A woman who loves to wear beautiful clothes is like a flower.
    A man who loves to emulate these women is a special flower-a rose
    Facebook:Sophie Johnson

I try to use a femme voice when I'm dressed. I have been taking voice lessons and I think it really helps. It's not easy, but I practice each day and I think it's coming along.

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    When I am at our TG support group's parties and events I always plan to use my girl voice but invariably, I'm having such a great time that I tend to "forget" and slip back into my boy voice. It happens all the time. However, outside a TG event, in the mainstream public, I always use my girl voice which is a slightly higher, quieter, and softer version of my boy voice.
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

I have tried to practice a girl voice on numerous occasions but as a natural baritone it comes out sounding fake, so I just soften my natural voice to sound more like a tenor female. When in public interacting with others I will use my tenor voice which sounds close enough to feminine to pass.
    Luv and Jill

Straight, into Fantasy Land

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar
    I have a very masculine voice that no amount of training will help make feminine!! I decided many years ago to just go with it and not worry about it. Even when I was going out completely as Stephanie (with wig and makeup!) I never had any real problems. Since I go out now dressed enfemme, but looking like the man that I am, my voice is right in line!!
    Stephanie

Lady on the outside, but man underneath!

I use my girl voice. I use the time while im commuting to and from work to practice. But it is more than just the pitch, its the inflections and rhythm too. Also for some reason, I have a much stronger southern accent as Gwen then I do in guy-mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Morley View Post
    When I am at our TG support group's parties and events I always plan to use my girl voice but invariably, I'm having such a great time that I tend to "forget" and slip back into my boy voice. It happens all the time. However, outside a TG event, in the mainstream public, I always use my girl voice which is a slightly higher, quieter, and softer version of my boy voice.
    Rachel does a nice job with her voice. Using a quieter and softer version goes a long way in creating a fem voice.

I'm lucky to have the ability to create an acceptable fem voice. I wish it was better, but it seems to work. Actually, it is not that different from my male voice in pitch, but my vocal inflections and prosody are very different. When I'm out, I'll talk to anyone without hesitation or reservation.

I was out on New Years Eve and using the stall in the women's restroom at a bar. It only had one stall. For some reason, no one else was in it when I entered. I went into the stall and was about finished when a woman comes in and starts talking about it being a pain when guys use the women's restroom (it was a gay bar and there is also an unisex restroom in the place). She saw a guy walk into the restroom a minute or two before and assumed he was still in there. When I responded, she said "you don't sound like a man" which made me laugh and smile. A few seconds later I was on my way out of the stall and when I opened the door, she said, "oh, you're not a man." We chatted for a minute more while I was washing my hands and she was taking care of business. I found the whole situation quite amusing.

I raise my voice and soften it so it is a feminine baritone since my natural voice is basso profundo. I have to also vary the pitch more than I do naturally.

Johanna
    John (Legal name)

Preferred pronouns: he, his, him

I now try to always automatically use a more feminine-sounding voice rather than a masculine one in any situation really.

I have a natural alto voice that is somehwere between male & female, but sometimes it likes to hit the lower registers. Last weekend I found myself overcompensating while ordering coffee at Starbuck's, and thought I sounded like a complete idiot. I have a very limited octave range.
    What's even worse is sometimes in public, the reaction from people such as waitresses, cashiers, sales attendants is often so neutral and unaware that I'm not really a woman, I'm so afraid to speak in my normal voice and I end up doing a Harpo Marx routine by trying to gesture instead of talking. It has happened.

OK, F*** it, I'll talk in my normal voice.

Do the girl voice thing 24/7

I enjoy smiling and just chirping"morning" while out rollerblading in girl mode...I do have the immitation down pat...lol