Thread: Best Cities

Best Cities

I picked up a copy of Men’s Health yesterday and while perusing this publication, I noticed that my adopted city of Philadelphia was listed next to the bottom as being the worst city in America for men (Madison, WI was #1). They used 37 different criteria to make this determination. These included health, fitness, and quality of life, percent of heart disease and cancer as well as ratio of single women.

It was interesting reading but it made me stop and think about another issue that I had thought about in the past. What cities in American are good for Transgendered individuals?

A good friend of mine tells me that Philly seems to have more than its fair share of activities and organizations that are helpful and welcoming to our community. She says there's always something going on here. I think it’s the center of the universe for TG affairs, but I’ve been wrong before.

So I have two questions; first, what attributes do you think are important in a community that makes it a TG’s life easier and nicer? What makes a community TG friendly?

Secondly, if not Phlly, what other city is as responsive and helpful to our kind. This can include everything from medical assistance to social activities as well as accommodating to the Transgendered. What cities are fun and accepting for us?

Thank you for your input. Maybe we can pass this information along to Men’s Health and see where they go with it.

Jen

Account is closed
    Las Vegas is wonderful. Nevada needs to stop dragging their ass and pass an enda bill but this is a great city to transition in. Not overly inviting and not rejecting in any way.

To me tg friendly means letting you be yourself without fear of rejection at every turn. I'm not sure how it is for crossdressers but I know there is an active Tri Ess and Diva Las Vegas. Unfortunately the Tri Ess chapter here is not accepting of transsexuals. Thankfully the population as a whole is accepting.
    [SIZE=2]
    [/SIZE]

As far as I know, San Francisco is 100x better than any other city in America, in terms of acceptance.

I personally don't live there, but I have never seen anything come close.

As for ENDA, it had a chance, but Obama is now a Republican (for all sakes and purposes), so you'll have to wait another 2-6 years...

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar
    From my own travels, I would rate San Francisco as the best place for CD's, or any people with different ideas. Seattle and Atlanta would also rank high!!
    Stephanie

Lady on the outside, but man underneath!

Despite the fact that I have traveled throughout all of North America and a good part of Central America, I have had no first hand experiences as a TG living in any large city. I can only offer my opinions that are based on intuition and casual observations as a visitor.

First, I offer a bit about myself. I live in a rural, small town that many would call a "Mayberry" with its own cast of lovable characters. People still leave their front doors unlocked and help their neighbors in times of need. Everyone knows everybody and everybody's business whether it is the truth or not. These are God fearing people that attend three church service per week - Sunday morning, Sunday evening, and Wednesday evening. In other words, I live in America's Bible Belt where the sighting of a TG person would headline our newspaper quicker than a Martian spaceship landing at the Walmart Supercenter. Despite all of this, I still love it here and I don't think anyone would really burn a TG at the stake. I suppose my true area of expertise rest with the antithesis of Jenny's first questions; what attributes do you think are important in a community that makes a TG’s life harder and not so nice and what makes a community TG unfriendly? I will refrain answering that since this is Jenny's thread.

Let me go back to Jenny's unaltered questions and address them from one of my experiences. My wife loves to accompany me on business trips. Unlike me, she has a remarkable ability to spot a trans-person from a considerable distance. Several years ago, we were eating in a crowded, downtown Washington DC restaraunt.

We had been there for at least a half hour and she asks, "Did you notice those four people sitting at a table across the way? They were here long before us and nobody has shown any visible reaction to their presence."

She was referring to three very obvious trans-women and one trans-man. The waitress treated them like they owned the place. People immediately next to them carried on their conversations with total disregard. We followed them out the door and noted how they walked with confidence passing dozens of people and not one person flinched. What does this have to do with Jenny's question? To me, this example demonstrates the stark contrast between cosmopolitan cities like Washington, DC, Phillidephia, and San Francisco, from where we live. The social atmosphere in larger cities seems to be more passive toward alternative lifestyles, whereas other areas like smaller cities and towns still consider it taboo.

I'm sure there are forum members living in larger cities that can cite horror stories of prejudice. Nevertheless, where do you typically find the greatest number TG support groups, organizations, conferences, etc? "Mayberry" will probably never have any of those in my lifetime. For you people living in accepting areas of any degree, I say enjoy what you have.

There has to be some differences between the larger cities' TG friendliness. I suppose we could debate the best and worst over many rounds in the bar. Until I've lived in all of them, who am I to say? Never mind that question, what time does the bar open?

Babette
    Someone else's imagination is a terrible thing to waste.

Don't forget Austin, TX. It's a very friendly city. Ever heard their motto???? I think it was started by the UT students, but I may be wrong. It's "Keep Austin wierd!". Seems they really like the diversity there. I'm in San Antonio and we have our places here too.

No WE aren't wierd, but in Austin, Orange spiked mohawk hairdos are 'normal' and the nightlife is to die for!

Personally I'd rather live somewhere based on low crime, low cost of living. Jobs somewhere named Americas most livable city multiple time over the last 10 years, that is tg tolerant.... Than somewhere that is TG friendly and but you can afford a decent house or get mugged..

Ohhhh Go Steelers!!
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos