Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Continuing Saga of Jamie's Ballet Lessons

Quote Originally Posted by EllieOPKS View Post
    Jamie I am happy for you enjoying ballet and I am somewhat envious of anyone that can dance. Last time I tried to dance it was not a pretty site.
    Yes, I can dance, but I never said that I dance well. I'm always the last to get the complicated steps and sometimes feel like such an oaf. That said, I think by taking the classes I am getting better. Maybe in 10 years, I'll get to the point where I look like an average person dancing, as opposed to a clown.

Quote Originally Posted by Marissa333 View Post
    I have always wanted to do ballet, but never actually thought about doing it until now. Looks like I have some research to do...
    You should probably be able to find adult beginner classes in just about metropolitan area. Just check out the major local dance schools. I live near a fairly small city, and there are at least two options of classes for me. If I had more time and money, I'd be in both. And, assuming you're not planning on going en femme, don't worry about being turned away because you're male-bodied: most schools are dying to have more males in the classes.

At one point, the teacher taught us the "Vegas step," presumably named so because it is staple of Vegas showgirls. She joked, "I doubt {my male name} will ever be asked to perform the Vegas step, but we'll learn it anyway."
    Now where you the only male in the class there too?

I want to take ballet at some point, but it looks complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by JamieG View Post
    You should probably be able to find adult beginner classes in just about metropolitan area. Just check out the major local dance schools. I live near a fairly small city, and there are at least two options of classes for me. If I had more time and money, I'd be in both. And, assuming you're not planning on going en femme, don't worry about being turned away because you're male-bodied: most schools are dying to have more males in the classes.
    Thanks for the encouragement!

JoanieK
    I actually haven't been in class for about 4 years. I enjoyed it greatly, tho and was one of few males in the program. Tuff work for an inflexible body. But it did pay off in some sports activities. Usually wore a leo w/ tights over - mens style. Agree that Rivers Edge is a great resource.

Have fun with it.

Quote Originally Posted by brassieres View Post
    Now where you the only male in the class there too?

I want to take ballet at some point, but it looks complicated.
    No, there was one other male in the jazz class. He has occasionally dropped in in the ballet before, presumably as his makeup class. Ballet is very complicated. I was so lost the first few weeks, but slowly I started to get it. The fact that it is such a challenge mentally and physically is part of the fun!

Quote Originally Posted by joaniek View Post
    I actually haven't been in class for about 4 years. I enjoyed it greatly, tho and was one of few males in the program. Tuff work for an inflexible body. But it did pay off in some sports activities. Usually wore a leo w/ tights over - mens style. Agree that Rivers Edge is a great resource.

Have fun with it.
    Why'd you stop, Joanie? I agree that if you wear a leo and are concerned about appearances, you should wear the tights over. Otherwise, you might get a few funny looks and maybe a comment or two. It's great to be able to wear tights in a room with 20-30 cisgender people and not even raise an eyebrow.

JoanieK
    Hi Jamie,

I ended up getting to a kind of sub-intermediate stage and while physically up to the task, the choreography over the floor needed more practice time than I could give it. I also didn't have much vertical - the expression was "get some air in those tights" for the male instructor. So I would make a run at beginner/advanced beginner each season for several years. I wasn't alone in that there were several other students (male/female) doing the same thing.

It is great fun and the sense of physical confidence and poise you develop is very rewarding. One year I did a lot of rock/alpine climbing - knowing where your hips are from dance class did a lot to keep me from testing my belay partners.

I think about going back, flexibility is in need of work. Strength and stamina are good, tho.

It's almost a shame to see so much emphasis on free-style athletic dancing and so much less of the classics of ballet. As the great dancemasters pass, their work is at risk of fading. But there's always the Nutcracker, I guess.

Keep at it. It seems like you're coming into your own.

Joaniek

Year Three

About this time two years ago, I nervously stepped into my first ballet class. I was surprised at how welcoming everyone was. It's hard to believe that I am now embarking on my third year. We had almost two months off since the last session, and I always struggle when that happens. I goofed up some of the early combinations and got some corrections about how I didn't have proper posture on my plies (knee bends). However, my teacher was impressed with my flexibility during stretches (saying it was beautiful) and said that my retire (standing on one leg with the other knee angled to the side and its toes placed along the knee of the standing leg) was perfect. We also learned a new dance step in the center. Normally, I cannot pick up new steps on the first lesson. But I think I actually got it!

Oh, and for those who care, for the first time ever, I "underdressed" in class. I wore a girl's leotard under my tights and a long sleeve tee. It was a bit too warm, so I don't know if I'll do that again until the weather gets really cold.

Silver Member
    According to Julie, and my memory, the uniform is a black leotard over pink tights. Has this changed?

S

Quote Originally Posted by Stephenie S View Post
    According to Julie, and my memory, the uniform is a black leotard over pink tights. Has this changed?

S
    For young girls, yes that's the traditional uniform. In an adult class, like mine, there is no uniform. Some come in sweats or yoga pants. Of those that do wear a leotard, most wear shorts or pants over it.

You know the plain black leotard like you posed in for pics here is unisex. Just wear your Tshirt over it while you get warmed up. Then as it gets to hot, you have the perfect reason to shed the Tshirt and finish out class in your tights and leotard along with the ladies. You will be relieved at the acceptance knowing that you can always put the Tshirt back on if they disapprove. From the experience of my jazz/ballet class, they won't.

Good to see you're still going strong Jamie. I too have started my third year, attending two classes per week (at two schools).

I have two very different teachers. One is a very calm French male with a wonderful french/english/norwegian accent. He has this authority without ever raising his voice. Very pleasant guy to chat with before the class. The other one is a young Norwegian female, very energetic and enthusiastic, gets really happy when we get it right.

JamieG I’m glad you’ve stuck with it for 3 years. That is awesome. I started ballet when I was 5. My mom asked me if I wanted to take Karate or ballet and I picked ballet for some reason. I continued dance classes until I was 24. I’m 32 now and I haven’t danced for 8 years. I really wish I could get back into it. I always wanted to learn pointe but my teachers always told me that guys don’t do pointe and that pointe is only for girls. Good luck. Stick with it.

Had my third class of the year this week. I think I'm getting back into the swing of things. Our teacher has been pushing us really hard. Lot's of fast movements and jumps. It's been a great aerobic workout. I am definitely noticing an improvement in my ability to do center work (which is basically real dancing, as opposed to barre work which is exercises to prepare you for dancing).

Here's a funny moment. When our teacher was explaining the efface position to us. She said, "The true position is not like the way they pose in dance catalogs. And I'm sure [insert my name] spends lots of time poring over the catalogs." I happily replied, "I sure do" which resulted in some laughs by the class. If they only knew...

Finally, my apologies to Camilla and Jaimie for not responding earlier...
    Quote Originally Posted by CamillaCD View Post
    Good to see you're still going strong Jamie. I too have started my third year, attending two classes per week (at two schools).

I have two very different teachers. One is a very calm French male with a wonderful french/english/norwegian accent. He has this authority without ever raising his voice. Very pleasant guy to chat with before the class. The other one is a young Norwegian female, very energetic and enthusiastic, gets really happy when we get it right.
    That's awesome. Are you still mostly in class with fairly young girls, or have you found an adult class?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaimie View Post
    JamieG I’m glad you’ve stuck with it for 3 years. That is awesome. I started ballet when I was 5. My mom asked me if I wanted to take Karate or ballet and I picked ballet for some reason. I continued dance classes until I was 24. I’m 32 now and I haven’t danced for 8 years. I really wish I could get back into it. I always wanted to learn pointe but my teachers always told me that guys don’t do pointe and that pointe is only for girls. Good luck. Stick with it.
    Wow. I am envious. That would have been so cool to be dancing from age 5 to 24. You must have gotten pretty good. Did you ever consider doing it professionally? I know that some teachers can be sticklers about pointe, but I've heard there are some places where they might teach men pointe so they get a better understanding of their partners' balance. And of course, there's always the Trocadero's.

In the larger school the classes are divided between "16 and above" and "below 16", so there is a wide range of ages. The experience level range is also wide, from me to those who have been dancing for many years.

The smaller school is the one I started going to. I think the adult beginners class two years ago was a test. There were 3 nine-year old girls, a half a dozen teenagers, and me. There were no adult classes for two semesters, until last autumn. Now we are about 15 ladies (most around 30) and me.

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaimie View Post
    I always wanted to learn pointe but my teachers always told me that guys don’t do pointe and that pointe is only for girls. .
    I wrote of my night seeing Les Ballets Trockadero De Monte Carlo in the media section (http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...De-Monte-Carlo)

They are an all-male group that do ballet in both genders and do dance on pointe.
    Last edited by Sheren Kelly; 02-05-2012 at 01:17 PM. Reason: add link
    Warmly,
    Sheren Kelly

this is such a fascinating thread!! i've gained lots of encouragement from it cuz i've been thinking of signing up for an adult ballet intro class but as i';m sure a lot of you will understand there's quite a bit of apprehension. after reading through these posts i decided to throw caution to the wind and sign up! sadly the lady mentioned that they are still waiting for a few more to sign up before the class can start but at least its one small step for me:>

now to sit and wait...

Platinum Member
    Hi Jamie, Please let us know when your recital is.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Quote Originally Posted by phballet View Post
    this is such a fascinating thread!! i've gained lots of encouragement from it cuz i've been thinking of signing up for an adult ballet intro class but as i';m sure a lot of you will understand there's quite a bit of apprehension. after reading through these posts i decided to throw caution to the wind and sign up! sadly the lady mentioned that they are still waiting for a few more to sign up before the class can start but at least its one small step for me:>

now to sit and wait...
    I'm glad that I was able to inspire you to sign up. Please let us know how your first class goes (obviously after they have enough interest to start class). If you have any questions about preparing for it, or start to get cold feet, feel free to PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUE ORCHID View Post
    Hi Jamie, Please let us know when your recital is.
    Alas, there is no recital. This is course offered in the evenings through a local university. I hope to someday find the time to sign up with one of the two area major dance schools, so I at least have the option of a recital.

yay they actually called me yesterday to ask for an alternate timeslot...which means that there are more pple signing up although i may not get my preferred timeslot:> and yes tips on prep will be most helpful!:>

yay they actually called me yesterday to ask for an alternate timeslot...which means that there are more pple signing up although i may not get my preferred timeslot:> and yes tips on prep will be most helpful!:>
    That's great. First, if this is an "adult beginner" class, don't assume they'll start from first principles. Many assume you already have some basic knowledge, or that you'll pick it up as you go along. I was so lost the first few classes, but eventually you start to get it. I recommend you buy a book or two and start to learn the language: "1st position, 2nd position, etc.", "grande plie vs. demi plie", "retire", etc. This will help you to follow what the teacher is saying, and via practice and instruction you'll get better at the actual positions.

You'll also need some practice wear. I'm going to assume that do not plan to reveal that your trans. If this is false, ignore most of what follows. The only absolute requirement is ballet shoes (not street "ballet flats") and a dance belt. The traditional wear for a "man" is black tights and white tee. Men's ballet tights are thicker than women's tights, but there is some variety in styles. Nobody will think anything of you showing up in this outfit, but if you're a little nervous, you might try men's running tights for starters (that's what I did for my first class). Often times, they set no uniform requirements for adult classes, so sweat pants or shorts are not uncommon. However, keep in mind that baggy clothing makes it hard for the instructor to really see if you're doing things right.

Shopping at the mall, in the Pacific NW USA
    This thread has inspired me as well. I used to take belly dance lessons, and have been thinking about getting back into it.
    Dana Ryan

thanks for the tips!

and yea they are quite lax with dancewear requirements so i'm gonna show up in a t-shirt and shorts for the first lesson. i'll be able to purchase shoes from them directly so that won't be a problem as well. now just to get over the discomfort swimming in my mind abt a guy going for ballet class:> haha gender norms here in my country are still quite rigid and traditional!:>

Hey, I am GG w/ TGSO and GG Daughter at tender age.. Cute she was checkin this out!
    http://www.cascadiaweekly.com/pdfs/issues/201206.pdf
    Anyhoo; as a former student, Bon Chance!

Quote Originally Posted by Slo Jo View Post
    Hey, I am GG w/ TGSO and GG Daughter at tender age.. Cute she was checkin this out!
    http://www.cascadiaweekly.com/pdfs/issues/201206.pdf
    Anyhoo; as a former student, Bon Chance!
    That's great. Thanks for the words of encouragement.

and yea they are quite lax with dancewear requirements so i'm gonna show up in a t-shirt and shorts for the first lesson. i'll be able to purchase shoes from them directly so that won't be a problem as well. now just to get over the discomfort swimming in my mind abt a guy going for ballet class:> haha gender norms here in my country are still quite rigid and traditional!:>
    Gender norms in the US are pretty rigid too. However, when you get to a ballet class, hopefully most of the students have seen a ballet before. They should know that most ballets involve at least one male dancer. If there were no male students, there could be no male dancers. I've heard some women say that they appreciate having a male in class; as it helps everyone to be more serious. Certainly, all of the women in my class have been very welcoming, and I forged friendships with a good number of them.

Quote Originally Posted by DanaR View Post
    This thread has inspired me as well. I used to take belly dance lessons, and have been thinking about getting back into it.
    Go for it!