Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What if men wore skirts?

What if men wore skirts?

Would you? Well, they do!

I just posted a link in the media section
    http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...99#post2395199
    about a trend for spring in Paris fashion--skirts and dresses for men. Turns out some designers; e.g. Rick Owens, have been doing this for a while. Now many fashion houses seem to be getting into the act--Givenchy, Balenciaga, Commes des Garcons, &c.

So will you add a skirt to your boy-mode wardrobe for the office or an evening on the town?

Lainie

You're only young once, but you can be immature forever!

Unfortunately, I don''t like most of them. Of course I feel the same way about most of the high fashion women's apparel.

I would ...that is if i could find some Stacy Adams wing tiped shoes with a 4 inch heel and a man bag to match ..

Joann

An interesting thought and one that carries with it a faint glimmer of hope. It may turn out to be fad that dies out but it could be the first step along the path that results in the loss of stigma, with the resultant ability to be open and free in our choices of dress. It will be difficult to be stigmatised for wearing clothes that are found in the Men's section, as well as the Ladies'. Mind you, it would also require a change in our collective name: how can we call ourselves cross-dressers when we could be buying Men's (or at least neutral) clothes.

I am not certain that I will necessarily see societal attitudes change (note the sarcasm in the article) sufficiently to really benefit. However, as a generalisation, SOs of my generation are less likely to be understanding and accepting of our "life-style" compared to the SOs of the 20 and 30-year-olds. It would seem that societal attitudes are changing but at a glacial pace. This haute couture trend might add impetus to the pace of change.

I would be one of the first! Mostly the skirt, evening gown maybe!

If you want to see members who wear and discuss their kilts, skirts, and dresses in a masculine context I suggest you visit

www.skirtcafe.org .

One of their rules is that male members use masculine names.
    My user name there is JohnH and I use the same avatar on that forum as I do here.

Johanna (masculine name John)
    Last edited by JohnH; 01-29-2011 at 04:12 PM.
    John (Legal name)

Preferred pronouns: he, his, him

If it gets to the high street shops the styles would have been changed a bit so it may turn out OK , it has been tried a few times before though .
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Joanne

Depends on what women were wearing!! if everyone were allowed to wear the same clothes... I'd quit and go find a new more exciting hobby!
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post
    Depends on what women were wearing!! if everyone were allowed to wear the same clothes... I'd quit and go find a new more exciting hobby!
    I'm with Karren on this one. If everyone wore skirts, male and female, then I'd have to find another way.

Looks like an attemt to mainstream Goth

Quote Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
    Would you? Well, they do!....a trend for spring in Paris fashion--skirts and dresses for men....
    It's a very long way from the runways of Paris to what is acceptable male wear in the offices and streets of America. Do I hope it happens? Sure. I'm not holding my breath about it, though.

Then most likely I would not have entered the realm of crossdressing. I like skirts and the styles that go with them. If men were permitted to wear skirts like women wear pants then I would not have tried out full on cding, and would just wear skirts and leggings. I would have my other Gothy elements (makeup and such), so I would be able to be me.

I don't want to be female. I want to have freedom of style.
    "I am not altogether on anyone's side as no one is all together on my side"
    Tree beard. Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers.

If haute couture made men wearing skirts a common practice, it really wouldn't affect me much. I want to be able to dress as I please. What pleases me is to dress and present as a woman. When I'm wearing drab these days, I'm crossdressing. If men want to wear skirts because they like skirts, I'm fine with that.
    I actually prefer dresses and sometimes pants and a pretty top.
    warmly, Linnea

Probably more complex than it appears

The reasons why we feel the need to at least occasionally dress as women are perhaps less related to the clothes themselves than to what they symbolise.

While it is the case, at least in most contemporary cultures, that women’s clothes have attractive tactile and aesthetic qualities they are not always as comfortable as are men’s clothes.

Were it the case that women’s clothes had evolved in such a way that they resembled what are currently men’s clothes, and vice versa, it is hard to believe, that the phenomenon of cross-dressing would not now exist.
    [SIZE="3"][/SIZE]Sapphire

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
    So will you add a skirt to your boy-mode wardrobe for the office or an evening on the town?
    I wouldn't do it for work because some the opinions of some of the people there can effect my pay, my future and career development (at that company) but outside of work yes (depending on the situation). As a matter of fact, this summer could be the year I substitute my denim shorts for a denim skirt.
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar
    After spending a significant amount of time separating my genders, I'm not about to go blurring the lines.

The other reason I won't be wearing a skirt in male mode is that I think they look absolutely silly without heels (and preferably stockings). Wing tips and skirts just don't do it for me. However, I will admit to smiling to myself when it becomes clear that this may start a trend of men with no leg hair

Nope, Tina wears the skirts! I'll stick to pants with my tuxedo in male mode

Platinum Member
    Here comes the Metrosexuals.

Orchid

You say that like it is a bad thing. (the post about the metrosexuals)

Oh and I myself have worn skirts in male mode. It is a challenge, but fun. I have gotten only a few bad looks....from gang members.
    "I am not altogether on anyone's side as no one is all together on my side"
    Tree beard. Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers.

Aspiring Member
    Those guys on the link were anything but attractive.
    Heels and hosiery might have helped.

Complex Lolita...
    Quote Originally Posted by Lainie
    What if men wore skirts?
    [SIZE="2"]Never mind that – what if women wore skirts? Sorry, I’m channeling Groucho…

If men wore skirts, I’m sure they would turn the concept into a presentation of masculinity, which would be completely at odds with my own need for expression. Men do this with kilts, somehow turning a chance for reducing masculinity into an exercise of manly exaggeration. In that sorry (and unintentionally funny) case, I would slip on a pair of short shorts in lieu of a skirt, thus revealing (and maintaining) my effeminacy for all to see…
    [/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]Not likely. I don’t have a boy-mode wardrobe “for the office,” nor do I go out on the town – where I live, it’s dead by 8PM, sometimes sooner, unless you want to swill beer at the local watering hole with the gender-specific residents of the prairie. I don’t think the patrons of the latter would appreciate my male-skirt, do you?[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Eryn
    It's a very long way from the runways of Paris to what is acceptable male wear in the offices and streets of America.
    [SIZE="2"]If you even mention Paris, or France, or Europe to a typical uncultured American male, they will tap into a certain amount of prejudice for all things continental. This is a pity, because, by and large, we are all cut from the same cloth. In my little corner of America, far from the madding crowd and the hustle and bustle of big cities, skirts on males would resemble targets, and I’ll give you three guesses who would notice them…
    [/SIZE]

Dresses and skirts don't really go with my male persona. Especially the ones in the article. With that said, however, I really would like to find the courage to wear a utilikilt out and about. They're more rugged and manly looking.

Worlds Prettiest Dad!!! Jocelyn Quivers's Avatar
    No thanks I'll pass on that fad, nothing against men's skirt wear. In male mode I love my boring Dockers, jeans, slacks, and other dull boring types of clothes. That's just fashion sense my male side chooses.
    [SIZE="3"]MUSCULAR GIRLS ARE PRETTY!!![/SIZE]

Current Inspirational Song-"Running Free"- Kissin Dynamite

M-E-A-T, M-A-C-H-I-N-E, MEAT MACHINE!, MEAT MACHINE!!!
    The Governor for President 2016!!
    All I want for Christmas is an Anita Model Synth

I can remember years ago (decades?) when they came out with "pantyhose for men" - never caught on (obviously). Regrettably, I doubt very much that "dresses for men" will catch on either ... though I wish it would, then we all could go out in dresses and skirts ... :-)

I've got to admit it doesn't work for me. It just doesn't. It's not all about the clothes, I guess, although that's a big part of it. But even if there is an enormous attraction to the clothes, they still work better on women. Maybe that's why most of us present as women when we wear them.

Any money found in the laundry is MINE!

"This is no social crisis....this is me having fun!"

www.flickr.com/photos/tgmarla/

I don't dress this way to dress in skirts and dresses, I dress like this to present as female, most of those styles are not flattering, and I don't want to give up the make up and wig either. Years ago Phil Doneue did a show of men in skirts, and they where much prettier than what this designers are trying to do. If it did catch on, it would take a long time before you could go from that hard manly skirt, to something soft and floral that I would want. I say let men be men, and women be women, and I will stay right here in the middle.
    Tina B.