Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: A Simple Question...

Quote Originally Posted by Babeba View Post
    some deeply rooted cultural conviction that men dressed as women are probably scary warlocks.
    I like that!

Wizards in our mythology are often portrayed with long flowing hair and long dresses, no?

Somewhat like Eddie Izzard's bit about the Druids being "early transvestites, didn't have the shaving thing down yet..."

I don't have a lot of information on this, but in some ancient societies (and not so ancient ones as well) my impression is that there was a type of individual who practiced things that were considered to be 'between' the norms, among them crossdressing and the practice of magic (between the worlds). Call them holy men, magicians, shamans or whatever, but it was a means of accessing energies to work with. Today however, society (okay, Hollywood) prefers to emphasis the magical side of this, leaving the less understood practices out of the stories.

Does anyone here have more information on this I wonder?

Banned Read only
    First, it is really only male to female cross dressers that alarms society. I think because it can not be labeled. "gay" doesn't cover it. It can't be understood by anyone other than a cross dresser.

Oh Girl,
    I guess it has to do more of where you live or more than anything the age of the local populace. Where I live the people around our house is on the average 20+years older and they think very conservative Cross dressing doesn't fit in their world and they don't want to hear about it or see it. I did check with city hall and it is OK no problems. I was just to be a little careful that's all. In the community there are a lot of old families that have been here forever and older retired military whom didn't care for Don't Ask Don't Tell and the new law even less. Ignorance is what we are up against and some of the people are so stuck in there ways they will never change no matter what
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Jenniferathome View Post
    It can't be understood by anyone other than a cross dresser.
    I like to think that those of us who love a CD can come close to maybe understanding a little?

Quote Originally Posted by Babeba View Post
    Hmmph! I spent a good hour or so pawing through some old 'archaeology of gender' textbooks to give a bunch of examples of prehistoric gender roles, and of course the site timed out and even though I copy-pasted, I STILL managed to lose it. Oh well, it was a bit of an essay and probably a lot more info than most of you would've wanted. If you ARE interested, let me know and I'll dig stuff out for you to read/find reccomendations based on what you're interested in.
    I'm sorry you lost it all! And yes, I'm very much interested in anything you have on the subject! But rather than veer Holly's thread on a different tack, you could start a thread about this in the Lounge. I'm sure other anthropology minded people can also contribute resources.
    Last edited by ReineD; 02-09-2011 at 02:56 AM.
    Reine

Quote Originally Posted by Jenniferathome View Post
    First, it is really only male to female cross dressers that alarms society. I think because it can not be labeled. "gay" doesn't cover it. It can't be understood by anyone other than a cross dresser.
    Jennifer,

I have to agree with ReineD that crossdressing can be understood by others than just crossdressers. There are many others spouses,children,parents,friends that do understand this. is it as personal to them as it is to us? For some that is a resounding yes for others no. This happens through knowledge and love,being able to open your heart and soul to others. It is the same with any part of our lives, being open and giving to others bring the same back. The old saying that you reap what you sow is very true.

danni