Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you think... Were narciissitic?

Banned Read only

Do you think... Were narciissitic?

I have always wondered this so a few months ago i started to anylize behavior of people.
    Mostly those who are part of an odd offshoot of society. namely us, CDers and Transgenders.

And ive had a sort of correctly predicted realization,
    Much of our behavior rings somehwat of a "Self absorbed" air.
    Dress and tell if you will.
    Not that that is a bad thing because if not then we'd have no real community to chitchat with each other about this. but no real serious topics could really exist and want to be shared with out some narcissistic intention.
    Now thats not to say that CDers and TG arent the only people
    not by a long shot
    Its said that most facebook users are narcissistc to a degree. The willing ness to sahre and say "Love me" "pay attention to me"

But our place here really isnt that so much persay but more of a "Look at what i did, now validate it for me" attittude.
    but again thats not a bad thing.

so realy im i looking at it correctly?
    Or maybe im over observing?

The FW side of DFW, TX, but New Orleans is my adopted home town
    That's an interesting take on it. I have wondered the same about myself. Am I just being self-indulgent? Perhaps.
    Torrey

"Never laugh, and you will live to regret it.
    That's what living is to me..." - Jimmy Buffett

https://www.facebook.com/torrey.stephens

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar
    I don't think I am Narcissistic to any degree. Yes, I do have a page on Facebook, because my daughter put it there! I have put my friends on there, but have never done anything else with it and probably won't. I am not sure what is meant by a "self-absorbed' air! Read the following and see if you think I am "self-absorbed!"

As far as crossdressing is concerned, I dress simply because I like the fit, feel, and look of feminine clothes. I have never wanted to be a woman, I just want to dress like one. I dress to please my self, not the rest of the world. If other people don't like the way I dress, that is their problem not mine! I just don't much attention to what other think of me when I am out and about! My dear wife did my makeup and fixed my wig so I could go out as Stephanie for the entire time we had together. Now that she has passed on, I go out as the man that I look like but dressed totally enfemme!! Been doing that for several years and have never had a problem!!

I live my life as I see fit, and expect others to do the same. I do not question what others do, unless they are hurting someone else by what they are doing!
    Stephanie

Lady on the outside, but man underneath!

–noun
    inordinate fascination with oneself; excessive self-love; vanity.
    Psychoanalysis: erotic gratification derived from admiration of one's own physical or mental attributes.
    I bolded key words.

P.S. If a woman changes her hair style/color, is she being self-indulgent? If you say yes, does that mean it's a terrible thing for her to do?
    Last edited by Fab Karen; 01-31-2011 at 10:09 PM.
    [SIZE="3"]Gender is a state of mind[/SIZE]
    LGBTQ PRIDE
    As of Oct. 5th, go here to see my pics:http://www.flickr.com/people/fab_karen/
    A Yankee Doodle T-Girl
    proud of my President

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Fab Karen View Post
    –noun
    inordinate fascination with oneself; excessive self-love; vanity.
    Psychoanalysis: erotic gratification derived from admiration of one's own physical or mental attributes.
    I bolded key words.

P.S. If a woman changes her hair style/color, is she being self-indulgent? If you say yes, does that mean it's a terrible thing for her to do?
    remember i didnt mean anything negative by the word narcissistic.
    I used the word to embody the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Fab Karen View Post
    Good point. We're being about as narcissistic (<---thank goodness for spell check!) as the GG that we're emulating.

Now, if that GG happens to be Imelda Marcos...

fierce glamazon
    definitely self-involved.

Well....Yes. To a certain degree at least. Most people have at least a small amount of narcisist in them. If we don't then why put the effort into your looks. I also think that there are enough of us on this forum who are still closeted that our inner narcissist comes out simply because there is no where else for it to go. Heck, only my wife and 2 others know about me for sure. But I do like to come here and "Brag" once in a while if I do something I think is exciting, brave, or daring. There are also different levels of narcisist. Most here take the time to comment and admire or give compliments to other members. There are a couple though who never say anything to other members and only post or comment on themselves. I'm not complaining, too each their own. Before I stop, I hope that I didn't "P" anyone off here. That wasn't my intention.

I don't consider it narcissistic. Especially if a CD'r doesn't get to dress full-time. It's always interesting in my opinion to look in the mirror as a TG person because you get to physically see the "other" you. It's fascinating to me. There can be an erotic thing to it if that's an aspect of the experience you enjoy. There's no reason a GG can't get turned-on by seeing herself all dressed-up and made-up before she goes out on the town Sat night for example. I'll admit I look in the mirrors a lot because I want to make sure hair, make-up an such are alright, because I don't want to walk around the public areas looking silly. Also if someone does go out and decides to report it to us here, I think it's wonderful. It takes courage and determination to get ready, and go out and realistically function in the public as a member of the opposite sex; especially if it's your first time out. I don't see it as bragging at all. Validating can create a sense of community, and it provides an opportunity to offer wisdom, comfort and advice. You can never have enough of that when learning and living as a CD.

Account is closed
    FIrst transgender encompasses crossdressers so there is no tg and cd. TG is CD and CD is TG. Second, many crossdressers have obsessive and possibly compulsive behavior based on projected excitement over the illusion of physical alteration. Don't confuse that with narcissism. It is an addictive trait perpetuated by a displacement of emotional and physical arousal. Last, never confuse the self confidence needed by a transsexual with narcism. It is the removal of self doubt and replacement of acceptance that allows us to be able to face the world.

I have found that anytime a person states the equivalent of themselves being a people watcher, they are painfully withdrawn from society at large due to the perception of harm in a public situation. You are not over observing, you are making an assumption based on personal projections. Imagine yourself being thrust into that very world that you seem to be withdrawing from. Unless you stop caring abou the harm that you fear can be done to you, there is no way you are going to step outside. That ability to face ridicule is what you are confusing with narcism and until you get over your fears, it will keep eating you up inside.

What I would hope to see is why you felt the need to make such a passively agressive post that seems to be plea for approval.
    [SIZE=2]
    [/SIZE]

I don't think so... because most CDers have kept this activity to themselves most of their lives and given the opportunity to share with others it is only natural to talk about yourself, show pictures etc. I have not seen too many people here telling everyone they are god's gift to humankind... on the contrary, most of us think we look pretty unconvincing, but the reality is many of us look great!
    Chickie

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I can only speak for myself and Sherry!

I'm not the LEAST BIT narcissistic. Sherry, however, is QUITE THE DIVA! SHE'S the one with all the "friends" on Facebook and Myspace! Not I!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Quote Originally Posted by Chickhe View Post
    I don't think so... because most CDers have kept this activity to themselves most of their lives and given the opportunity to share with others it is only natural to talk about yourself, show pictures etc. I have not seen too many people here telling everyone they are god's gift to humankind... on the contrary, most of us think we look pretty unconvincing, but the reality is many of us look great!
    We look great because that is our reality. Peace
    May the stars carry your sadness away,
    May the flowers fill your heart with beauty,
    May hope forever wipe away your tears,
    And, above all, may silence make you strong.

Chief Dan George

Platinum Member
    I suspect that most humans are self involved to a degree. Its not all bad. As we often hear said, you must love yourself before you can really love others.

Junior Member xxprincess_tiffyxx's Avatar
    I think I can be a bit narcissistic or concieted as Tiffany. Whatever u wanna call it.
    My GG SO calls tiffany a diva, and I can't deny it. It makes me feel good to look my best.
    When I do get all dolled up I feel so pretty and confident and sexy, I love it.$
    As a guy I feel blah average at best nothing really special, just a regular dirty stinky ass boy.
    Which don't get me wrong can be fun too.
    But recently since I'm open and my SO and I share in all of this together I just always wanna be dressed up.
    I just feel sexier, to me Tiffany is that hot chich everyone looks at, whether its true or not I think that's how I feel.
    So call it diva, narcissistic, self involved conceited or whatever. That's how I feel.
    Follow me @xxTiffyLovexx on Twitter xoxo

Quote Originally Posted by Myojine View Post
    I used the word to embody the idea.
    The definition is the idea being expressed- if you don't intend that meaning, you've used the wrong word.
    [SIZE="3"]Gender is a state of mind[/SIZE]
    LGBTQ PRIDE
    As of Oct. 5th, go here to see my pics:http://www.flickr.com/people/fab_karen/
    A Yankee Doodle T-Girl
    proud of my President

Aspiring Member
    I'll let you know my thoughts on the subject as soon as I am done admiring myself in the mirror.

Quote Originally Posted by Shayna2008 View Post
    There's no reason a GG can't get turned-on by seeing herself all dressed-up and made-up before she goes out on the town Sat night for example.
    I can honestly say the only times I've ever turned myself on by looking in the mirror are when I'm dressed up like a man.

Banned Read only
    Western Upstate NY, on a Lake Ontario city
    Well of course we are. Wake up and smell the roses and get out of that pink fog state of denial!. I'll be the first one and perhaps one of the only ones here that will be totally honest with myself and own up to being Narcissistic, conceited, self centered, selfish and all those other wonderful attributes that we ( transvestites) have come to embody.Yeah its a real cool "gift" to have isn't it,?? a real popularity attribute.
    Why do you think we admire ourselves so much in the mirror?. Why do we stroke our body running our hands up and down our lingerie and stockings and thinking we're the greatest, prettiest thing thats come along since Cher ( talk about seconceited... the Queen herself. So if the joke goes,If you want to murder a transvestite ( sorry want to use the old term word here for a change)... throw his/her mirror in the bottom of the pool. If she drowns shes narcissistic, if she bobs to the surface for air, its to come up and see the light.
    O.K. slither me in shavings, I really don't care, just my two cents what to me is a VERY obvious answer.

Megan
    Last edited by Megan70; 02-01-2011 at 09:35 PM.

Complex Lolita...
    Quote Originally Posted by Myojine
    Much of our behavior rings somehwat of a "Self absorbed" air.
    [SIZE="2"]You might want to look up the term autogynephilia, my dear, unless you’re too self-absorbed…[/SIZE]

I don't even know what that word means.... I just like people to tell me how pretty I am.... Even if they are lying... Lol. If that makes me more of a pervert than I already am then so be it.
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    It's like this. If I don't like myself how can I get anyone else to like me? But I am not my own biggest fan, I am my own worst critic, so it gets really uncomfortable sharing these attempts at beauty with someone who thinks I should stay in the closet. It's a love-hate relationship. But that's okay because it turns out to be normal.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

This narcisissm thing....does it involve mirrors?

Banned Read only
    Western Upstate NY, on a Lake Ontario city
    Quote Originally Posted by NathalieX66 View Post
    This narcisissm thing....does it involve mirrors?
    Yeah... big time, the three way kind outside dressing rooms. Sometimes there's smoke with those mirrors to really blur your vision into complete narcissism

the happy camper
    You know that song by Carly Simon? It was totally about me...