Thread: I'm startling people with my guy voice

I'm startling people with my guy voice

So I've just recently started crossdressing full-time. Over the last few weeks, I've been progressively working on my appearance to make myself look more feminine. I think I have some work to do before I could even sort of pass. Like, I need to work on getting my makeup to look right, for instance. Apparently I am passing for some people because the last two times I went out fully dressed as a woman, people have freaked out a little when I spoke. One of those times was at the supermarket. I was waiting in line to check-out. A woman in front of me had just started to unload her cart, which contain about a hundred items. She quickly realize that I only had three things so she said to the cashier, "I'm going to let her in front of me because she only has a few things". I was surprised to hear her refer to me as "she". As I passed by her to go in front, I thanked her in my deep guy voice. That's when things got a little uncomfortable. I'm almost certain at that point she knew I was just a dude dressed a woman. As I paid the cashier for my items, I notice the woman from the corner of my eye giving me an investigative look-over as she continued to unload her cart. Definitely an awkward situation.
    So I guess I really need to work on a female voice. I don't even know where to begin with that one.

Has this ever happen to anyone else here? I'm sure it has.

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    You sure she wasn't just checking you out? Her fiorst impression was obviously of a woman (the use of "she" and "her"). The second look might just have been to appreciate the effort you had put into your appearance.

There are resources on-line for voice training, they demand a lot of work and I haven't yet put in enough.

Since going full-time, I have noticed that all but a few ignorant people will respond to the visual clues more than to the audible clues.
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

Comfortable to be me PortiaHoney's Avatar
    When you say you are Crossdressing full time, do you mean you live full time as a female or you go out as a female?

I ask because, if you are living full time as a female, then the beginning is definitely the hardest. When you are part time, it's all about the look or how it makes you feel. Full time is about being accepted for the person you are.

In the beginning, it is definitely hard. And, when you have everything else under control, it's always the voice that you fear will most give you away. And rightly so. As Rianna said, there are plenty of resources to help with the voice training. Eventually, it will become more feminine, but deeper than normal girls. It is also hard to keep it up for long periods, at least to the levels you still feel comfortable at.

She addressed you as she. I remember how elated I used to get when anyone referred to me as she. There will be many curious looks to start off with. but, you will notice them less and they will become more infrequent as you get used to living as a woman. A good sense of humour and a friendly smile will get you a long way.

Good luck in your journey.
    Freedom to be an individual is all powerful

You just have to work on your voice. youtube is a good place to start. I have seen many videos on this subject. I think you can also buy courses on DVD.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

Ok, this is some funny stuff.

My GG and I were talking about the artists in the Visual Kei scene in Japan. There is this really incredible guitarist that goes by the name Hizaki. This artist is male, but looks entirely Victorian female. This is an aspect of Visual Kei, men looking feminine is highly liked....as long as they are still male. That is the key.

Well anyway, these guys have all kinds of fangirls, and regular female fans that love them.

Ok, my point being. GG and myself were watching a promo vid from Hizaki's band, and there he is, facing the camera looking like goldilocks in a red fancy dress, and then he speaks.

Deep "manly" voice. LOL. My friend's jaw dropped and was all "OH MY GOD THAT IS HOT!!!"

She is not a fan of a guy looking male but with a "feminine" voice, but the other way around? LOL.

She is Bi, so that may explain that. But I have chatted with several Visual Kei fans and they all like male androgyny, and love it when a guy only looks like a female, but is all male.

It is a strange and many ways wonderful scene.
    Last edited by Pythos; 02-01-2011 at 10:00 PM.
    "I am not altogether on anyone's side as no one is all together on my side"
    Tree beard. Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers.

I have this same problem.. My voice is definitely an all male sounding one unless I can force it to sound feminine via speaking softly.. Voice is the hardest thing for me. I have yet to do anything whatsoever to change it although I should.. Rather than be concerned with it, I said "F" it and don't let it bother me that much. I suppose some day I'll get off my butt and start practicing to change it

Pythos, that is interesting, and it also sounds like you have a GG friend.

Thanks for the positive words, Rianna

Poriahoney, Yes I'm realizing that "full-time" is not the correct term to describe my cross dressing right now. I do only own women's clothes but some of them aren't that feminine so I can get away with being in guy mode sometimes. However, I dress as female every time I go out. So I guess I'm still transitioning. Thanks for your inspiration

Linda, I will check out the Youtube videos. Thanks

There are several rather easy things that you can do to sound more like a woman. Listen to how women whom you admire talk. Many women have a deep voice but they rarely sound like men as they speak differently.

A woman's voice originates a little higher in the larynx area and is thus a softer quality. Soften your tone; use "softer" words and phrases; ask rather than demand; you can raise the pitch of your voice several keys (practice); women tend to use more hand motions when they speak (don't over do it). Observe, observe, listen and practice!
    Hugs, Carole

Silver Member
    My voice cannot pass either, and I try to use non-verbal communication as much as possible when I am in public. If I am in that kind of situation I usually just look at the person and smile and give them a friendly wave. If you are in a tight situation and really need to pass, non-verbal cues might be helpful until your voice improves in time.