Thread: How are you defined?

How are you defined?

Why is it that so many people define who they are by fashion?
    Why can't people be defined by actions, mortals and voice?
    On a lot of the posts I read many people define themselves by
    an image alone and if some one else does it, well then your no longer an individual. Why is it such a challange to simpely be defined by who you are rather than what you wear?
    Furthermore, why would my choice in clothing ever give you a clue as to who I am?
    It is such a vain thing and a bane on my mind
    "if i find in myself desires which nothing in this world can satisfy, the only logical explanation is that I was made for another world."
    -C.S Lewis

Hot Blooded Space People
    Defining myself just isn't good for my sanity. In my experience, definitions need justifications, and I don't like the prospect of having to justify who I am to anyone.

I suppose I'm in agreement with you. What you do, think and say are the only things with unquestionable value.

Gold Member
    I ain't defined by what I wear.
    I am me, let people think what they want.
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

It is just one of the characteristics of social norms. I think it is often more of a "statement" of their affiliation with or allegiance to some personal image, group or status, than an outright definition of who they are.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am a visual person, If it looks ok its got my attention. If it looks weird, its got my attention. If its got an engine, sounds good and in tune and feels shiny then I am in love. If its a pair of 5" high heels, flowing dress, nice forms and costs under $5.00 I am in heaven.

Kind of what I've been saying for years my friend.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Some will define themselves by what they wear or have while others will define themselves by what or who they are it`s just the way of the world the question is who is the happiest .
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Joanne

Comfortable to be me PortiaHoney's Avatar
    How very poetic. I lurve this question.

I am defined by the moment. I am defined by my existence. Existentially, I am defined by those who know me. Ultimately, I am defined by those deeds and actions I perform.
    Freedom to be an individual is all powerful

Quote Originally Posted by Tybalt View Post
    Why can't people be defined by actions, mortals and voice?
    I will never let mere mortals define me!

I don't think that fashion defines us, it's more of a way for us to advertise to others the type of person we are. If you want to look like a successful businessman, you wear a nice suit. If you want to look like a punk rocker, you wear a torn denim jacket and studs. Etc. I want people to see that I'm more than your average guy, that I'm not afraid to wear what I like, and that I reject the typical labeling of things as exclusively male or female.

So we might be defined by our actions, or voice, but they don't give strangers a good first impression of us. It would sure be a pain walking up to everyone who sees me, and saying, "Hi, I don't believe in the way that society labels things according to gender. I also like pretty things. Just letting you know." So, I advertise it with what I wear.

How I act and what I do define me.... Not what I wear...
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

What I wear does not define who I am. Who I am defines what I wear!
    Grace,
    Bobbi

"Talking is sharing. Listening is caring."

Clothing is not a big part of how I am defined. Although, I am sure in some places I am known as the guy with a purse, or the guy that wears capri pants. But mostly, it is definitely by more of what I do. That is OK. I would rather be known as girly than as a guy who just dresses like a girl.

I'm defined strictly by my actions, as it should be.

I understand the psychology of it.
    I just don't understand people who define there identity
    by fashion, what motivates some one to be so one dimensional, so shallow?
    It's nice to see some common sense, and I find it refreshing. I suppose that it's my issue
    with the social stigma of fitting some role, some click.
    Or a lack of interest in being one of the herd
    "if i find in myself desires which nothing in this world can satisfy, the only logical explanation is that I was made for another world."
    -C.S Lewis

I may be a crossdresser but I that doesn't mean that womens styles define my life anymore that a non-transgendered man's life is defined by his choice in male clothing.
    But when you're on a cd forum expect the subject of womens clothing to come up from time to time. It's the nature of the discussions here, it doesn't mean that this all we think, talk or care about.

I don't pose this question to any one group
    it's just a question of human nature. I thought it to be a
    unique place to address this strange psychological habit
    nowhere do I single any one group out, I merely thought I would get
    some different answers here
    -C.S Lewis

In the end we are all defined by our actions, not our thoughts beliefs feelings or philosophies; not by what we intend to do, only by what we do.

Your choice of what to wear is defined by what you like or dislike, and how it makes you feel.

There's a lot of responses that talk about being defined by what you do.

Consider that what you do, and how you react is also linked to what you like and dislike, and so a relationship between the inner self and outward manifestation exists.
    Life is simple math: Expectations - Realisations = Disappointments.
    Tell ya what... I won't be too easily annoying, if you won't be too easily annoyed!
    Blogging | Twitter | Google+ |
    Acceptance comes in asking yourself the questions... and not caring what the answers are.

The sad thing is that too many of us are judged by society according to one act (usually, the most foolish, out-of- character one!).