Thread: I want the elephant in my room to at least smell nice...

I want the elephant in my room to at least smell nice...

Coming off of Suzanne's wonderful post where she provides her 2-cents on scents, and Babeba's reply there where she comments about the prevalence of unisex fragrances becoming more popular, AND something I got when out on Friday...it all got me thinking about trying to pass off a decidedly feminine fragrance on a daily basis.

Now I'm not talking about those who don't care what others perceive and would wear something that is decidedly floral and feminine as Estee Lauder's "Pleasures Bloom" with pride. No, I'm referring to those like myself who have abandoned male cologne in favor of product intended for the fairer sex...yet are trying to be at least a little subtle about it. Here is my experience in this area...

• Estee Lauder's Sensuous

Warm. Luminous. Feminine. A modern new definition of sensuality. Confident and elegant. A rich sensuous core of Molten Woods and Amber, surrounded by atmospheric florals, Pepper, Mandarin Orange Pulp and Honey. Estee Lauder Sensuous. Every woman wears it her way.

Categorized by Lauder as being on the spicy or woody side, this one is beautiful but doesn't scream "perfume" to me. That is, until I told my friend Erica that I was wearing it daily, to which she replied "oh yeah, they know".

• Bobbi Brown's Beach

If one scent could capture the atmosphere and attitude of summer, this best-selling fragrance is it. Designed with a lightly intoxicating blend of sand jasmine, sea spray, and mandarin, it's wearable anytime, anywhere. Comes in spray bottle for light application.

This one is my latest go-to fragrance to wear on a daily basis. Beach is fresh. Again, feminine but not so much that I think anyone would notice so much.

• Shiseido's ZEN - The newest addition. I was out on Friday and my Shiseido facial buddy surpised me with a sample of this one in my shopping bag.

Background: Warm, spicy scents of Amber, Patchouli, & White Musk.
      Heart: A floral combination of fresh Freesia and feminine Violet
      Top: Dewy sweetness of Blue Rose as counterpoint to the sparkle of Citrus.

ZEN The Fragrance. The Sensation. The Emotion. Experience Zen, and discovery bursts open. Shimmering energy enfolds you, encircling your body with sensations, possibilities freeing you from within. Release the pure joy of living as the woman you truly are. A breath of floral freshness layered with warmth to convey sweetness and femininity in a new modern language…

Yet later that evening, my friend Diana described it as almost being a bit masculine. Personally, I think it smells pretty, very unique, and might be another good choice for daily wear because it doesn't scream perfume.

So this is just another aspect of how the elephant in my room makes herself known. She likes to smell pretty even if she's the only one who knows the truth. Or is she? Have I ever been called out on the fragrance I choose? Well my wife has sometimes said she doesn't like the linger of Sensuous but that would come up once she returns home after I had some alone time (as in I use more in "girl mode" than I wear on a day-to-day basis. Never a comment from her on Beach and I'm pretty much finished with my first bottle. Nothing from anyone else. Still, it makes me wonder.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

I wish I could add some suggestions for you. There's an Ed Hardy or two that are somewhat feminine, yet not overpoweringly so. I tend to go ultra-femme when I'm wearing perfume, things like Estee Lauder's Beautiful or Avon's Acapella. In male mode, I like Aramis, which is a little more sophisticated than say, Brut or Aspen. I actually don't much care for fragrances like Aspen. Maybe it's the girl in me talking, or else it simply smells like cheap cologne. I applaud your goal of going feminine with your scents while in male mode without going too overboard on it. This way at least you strike up a cease-fire with the woman in you that wants her part of the everyday pie.

Any money found in the laundry is MINE!

"This is no social crisis....this is me having fun!"

www.flickr.com/photos/tgmarla/

Quote Originally Posted by TGMarla View Post
    I wish I could add some suggestions for you. There's an Ed Hardy or two that are somewhat feminine, yet not overpoweringly so. I tend to go ultra-femme when I'm wearing perfume, things like Estee Lauder's Beautiful or Avon's Acapella. In male mode, I like Aramis, which is a little more sophisticated than say, Brut or Aspen. I actually don't much care for fragrances like Aspen. Maybe it's the girl in me talking, or else it simply smells like cheap cologne. I applaud your goal of going feminine with your scents while in male mode without going too overboard on it. This way at least you strike up a cease-fire with the woman in you that wants her part of the everyday pie.
    It's almost a pity because there were some really neat guy fragrances that I liked a lot, like you, putting aside the cheapies in favor of Faconnable, Tommy Bahama, etc. But it's hard to get my head around buying another bottle of that stuff when I can have a wonderful bottle of perfume instead.

And Marla, even though crossing this line might get you into trouble on the homefront, if you ever were to adopt a feminine fragrance for regular use, try Beautiful Sheer. You mention liking Beautiful, Sheer is much lighter and I think it's another one that can be used daily without much chance for the "a-ha" moment.

BTW, just noticed this from within the Shiseido ZEN description...I promise I didn't make this up...

...Release the pure joy of living as the woman you truly are.

Now I really think I love this one!!!
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

I love Pleasures, "Delight," but it's undoubtedly not masculine; however it is pretty light and I can get away with it if I'm out and about but not in my office.
    The Shiseido ZEN description appeals to me; I'll have to try the fragrance.
    warmly, Linnea

Quote Originally Posted by linnea View Post
    The Shiseido ZEN description appeals to me; I'll have to try the fragrance.
    Oooh, I might have started something, an unintended consequence in trying to convey a fragrance through mere words.

The best of both worlds Kathi Lake's Avatar
    Right there. To your left. No, your LEFT! Yes, that's it. Hi.
    Hmmmmmm, Zen. I like it - on so many levels!

My favorite girly fragrance du jour is Pure by DKNY, but I may have to try Beach as well. In guy-mode, my go-to fragrance is Burberry Weekend. Sure, I like the women's one better, but, . . .

Kathi