Coming off of Suzanne's wonderful post where she provides her 2-cents on scents, and Babeba's reply there where she comments about the prevalence of unisex fragrances becoming more popular, AND something I got when out on Friday...it all got me thinking about trying to pass off a decidedly feminine fragrance on a daily basis.

Now I'm not talking about those who don't care what others perceive and would wear something that is decidedly floral and feminine as Estee Lauder's "Pleasures Bloom" with pride. No, I'm referring to those like myself who have abandoned male cologne in favor of product intended for the fairer sex...yet are trying to be at least a little subtle about it. Here is my experience in this area...

• Estee Lauder's Sensuous

Warm. Luminous. Feminine. A modern new definition of sensuality. Confident and elegant. A rich sensuous core of Molten Woods and Amber, surrounded by atmospheric florals, Pepper, Mandarin Orange Pulp and Honey. Estee Lauder Sensuous. Every woman wears it her way.

Categorized by Lauder as being on the spicy or woody side, this one is beautiful but doesn't scream "perfume" to me. That is, until I told my friend Erica that I was wearing it daily, to which she replied "oh yeah, they know".

• Bobbi Brown's Beach

If one scent could capture the atmosphere and attitude of summer, this best-selling fragrance is it. Designed with a lightly intoxicating blend of sand jasmine, sea spray, and mandarin, it's wearable anytime, anywhere. Comes in spray bottle for light application.

This one is my latest go-to fragrance to wear on a daily basis. Beach is fresh. Again, feminine but not so much that I think anyone would notice so much.

• Shiseido's ZEN - The newest addition. I was out on Friday and my Shiseido facial buddy surpised me with a sample of this one in my shopping bag.

Background: Warm, spicy scents of Amber, Patchouli, & White Musk.
    Heart: A floral combination of fresh Freesia and feminine Violet
    Top: Dewy sweetness of Blue Rose as counterpoint to the sparkle of Citrus.

ZEN The Fragrance. The Sensation. The Emotion. Experience Zen, and discovery bursts open. Shimmering energy enfolds you, encircling your body with sensations, possibilities freeing you from within. Release the pure joy of living as the woman you truly are. A breath of floral freshness layered with warmth to convey sweetness and femininity in a new modern language…

Yet later that evening, my friend Diana described it as almost being a bit masculine. Personally, I think it smells pretty, very unique, and might be another good choice for daily wear because it doesn't scream perfume.

So this is just another aspect of how the elephant in my room makes herself known. She likes to smell pretty even if she's the only one who knows the truth. Or is she? Have I ever been called out on the fragrance I choose? Well my wife has sometimes said she doesn't like the linger of Sensuous but that would come up once she returns home after I had some alone time (as in I use more in "girl mode" than I wear on a day-to-day basis. Never a comment from her on Beach and I'm pretty much finished with my first bottle. Nothing from anyone else. Still, it makes me wonder.