Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Well that's odd - she usually only likes women!

The best of both worlds Kathi Lake's Avatar
    Right there. To your left. No, your LEFT! Yes, that's it. Hi.

Well that's odd - she usually only likes women!

For those of you that don't like overly-long posts or details, feel free to click the link below. At least you'll get something out of this post.

This weekend, my lovely wife took me on a wonderful trip to a city a few hundred miles away as a Valentine's Day present. We went to a wonderful bed and breakfast that we have frequented for years. It was just a short trip as our oldest son came home from college to watch the younger ones; we left early Saturday morning and came back Sunday afternoon. For us, short trips - even a trip to the grocery store together - are at least time spent together to rebond as a couple. We treasure those times.

While we were there, we saw a wonderful two-person play with two of our favorite actors. We went shopping, and walking, and talking, and just being the odd, crazy-in-love people we have been for nearly 25 years. Sure, we have our issues (OK, one issue - my crossdressing) that bring us occasional friction, but for the most part, we are very happy.

After our drive, my wife wanted to have a nap to rest up for the night. I took a book into the parlor of the B&B to read and relax. After about 5 minutes, I saw their housecat glide into the room, make her way to the couch I was sitting on, and hop up next to me. Next thing you know, I have a buzzing, happy cat in my lap with her head down on my leg, fast asleep. Now, those of you that are cat-people know that I certainly couldn't go anywhere with a sleeping cat on me. It just isn't done! So, I sat there and read and occasionally scritched the cat behind her ears.

After about 10-15 minutes of this, the, . . . what would you call the owner of a B&B? Proprietress? Innkeeper? Anyway, in she came.

I should explain a bit about this wonderful woman. She is the perfect person for a B&B - one part businesswoman, one part gracious hostess, one part mom, and one part social butterfly. She is charming, effortlessly engaging, wise, and just makes you feel at home. Over the years, we have essentially befriended her and her husband. They're really a wonderful couple.

So, she walks in, sees me with the cat, sits down in the chair next to me, and with an odd expression says, "That's odd, she usually only likes women!" The cat looked up at her, and then plopped her head back down. I said, with what I though was a touch of humor and bit of well-placed sarcasm, "Well, I guess the cat must know me better than I know myself." She looked around to make sure no one else was around, placed her hand on my arm, looked at me, and with her wise twinkling eyes said, "Now now, the cat's not the only one that can see you're allllll girl." Gulp! You know that warm, liquid feeling you get in your chest, like your heart skips a beat or something? Well, that's what my insides were doing. I don't know if I blushed or made any other outward sign of how her comment made me feel, but her smile got bigger, her eyes got twinklier, and she patted my hand and said, "Yeah, I kinda thought so." All I could say was a whispered thank you. She smiled again at me, petted her cat, and went off to the kitchen, leaving me seriously befuddled.

I tell ya - for someone desperately holding on with both hands to keep this vehicle in the median, I sure have a lot of roadblocks in the way, it seems. Cheerleaders to the left of me, friends and strangers to the right. How can I continue to convince myself of my own happiness in my station in life if I can't even convince others?

How about you? Do others see through the mask that you present to the world? Women? Men? Children? . . . . . . Animals?

Kathi
    Last edited by Kathi Lake; 02-07-2011 at 12:02 PM.

You can't get anything past an animals 6th sense
    cats and dogs can read people like a book

Hmmmmm, it sounds like you have feminine ectoplasm oozing out of your pores, Kathi. It's the spiritual substance that forms into pink fog. I'm not sure there is a cure for such oozing, or at least I never heard of one.

Some entities, be they cats or proprietresses, can sometimes perceive this aura.
    Last edited by Persephone; 02-07-2011 at 01:06 PM.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

Kathi, this story fascinates me because it provides the quintessential answers to so many of life's questions. We have all been told to be ourselves, or not to be ourselves as the case may, and yet we cannot deny who and what we are to those who take the time to really look, to really listen, to get beyond their own needs. Your hostess knew who you were, that she was safe in commenting and beyond that, that you would appreciate even more your relationship albeit business/casual.

What makes her so wonderful is her taking the time to see and listen, then feel comfortable making you even more comfortable. The answers are all there in front of us, if we take the time to really see.

that lady has the right job for her.
    and dogs and cats know us far better than we know ourselves.

The cat is one thing, quite cool actually because it sensed your essence. But the innkeeper? Wow, that takes "leaking femme" to an entirely new level!!!
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Deep in the Heart of Texas..okay..DFW area
    Okay, I had every intention of reading the post but curiousity got me so I hit the link first, that is such a cute pic Even though the story is very enjoyable and leaves me with a good feeling, that pic added a touch more..

I'm not really a cat lover, but somehow when a cat is brought into my home (my ex had one and now my two daughters each have one), they end up spending alot of time with me. It can be entertaining..if one cat sees me heading to my room where the computer is, she will run fast and making some big leaps from my bed to my desk chair and plop down, roll around snuggily and just purr (smiling) at me with that "what are you gonna do now?" look.

Did I mention that I hate cats????? maybe it is just as you were told, they know better

Thank you for sharing..

Hugs,
    Marissa
    Marissa

"You better look hard and look twice,
    ...is that me, baby or just a brilliant disguise?"- The Boss

That's a heart warming story! I had a cat for twenty six years that did not like women but I was okay with it when I was dressed! This cat also hated the smell of whiskey! You did not pick him up if you had whiskey on your breath!

Beautiful story Kathi. Makes me wonder if anyone sees through my male guise at times. I do recall one female friend kind of guess what it was that I was about to tell her about me. She was not the least bit surprised or shocked when I told her that I was a CD. Perhaps we really don't know how others see us.

Wonderful story, it really makes you think. I don't enjoy cats (I am allergic) but don't hate them. Don't you know it when ever I am around cats they flock to me. I'm ok if I don't pet them and get my hands around my face. I do think they kind of "know" about people. I know they want to torture me!
    Dana Fleming

What a beautiful story (and picture). I would have had the same reaction to the hostess' remarks but what a feeling of joy to be recognized and accepted by her or anyone. Life is so full of these mysterious twist and turns.

That's quite an amazing bit of insight she showed you there!

Any money found in the laundry is MINE!

"This is no social crisis....this is me having fun!"

www.flickr.com/photos/tgmarla/

What a great story to read! Thank you! It does make me wonder just how much we can be transparent to perceptive folks or even those that just pay attention! Heehee! Sometimes the easiest person to fool, just may be ourselves!

Dana
    [SIZE="3"]Dana Rachael Stevens

The person I have always wanted to be, is within me!
    [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Dana921 View Post
    Sometimes the easiest person to fool, just may be ourselves!
    I'm sure that comment wasn't necessarily directed at me, but it does resonate. Ouch!

Kathi

I have to agree Kathi, many times I have been in peoples homes and their animals are very friendly with the woman of the house usually saying the same thing...she really likes you, but she usually only likes girls. But I have had the reverse and had a dog or two want to take my leg off and they'll say "funny..she usually likes men...

Jenn

Kathi -- My wife's cat likes me better than him. So, there must be something to that. And, as for the innkeeper, she probably remembers the time you forgot to take off those sparkly, dangling earrings.
    Sherrie Lynn Pall

Sometimes I make sense and that frightens me.

Please don't let me be the last post on this thread

My friend's dog only likes women and she always barks at me boo hoo

Cats know. We all know that cats are not from this planet and they have extra sensory reception
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Great story and cute picture!! Did you discuss the owner's comment with her? I'd be dying to know what she picked up on...maybe it was the earrings

Cats are the greatest (mine are, at least), but I get really nervous around them if I'm wearing my favourite hosiery!

Ok Kathi, if anyone can't see through my mask, they sure can after reading your post! (Hold on, there's something in my eye. . .) That was just lovely!!! Your situation sounds alot like my wife and I!

I don't know if my cat can see my feminine side but he sure knows who he can play for a sucker!

Debby

Banned Read only
    I believe animals can see through our little disguises. As for the innkeeper, it could have been that hidden video camera in your room.

Quote Originally Posted by SherriePall View Post
    . . . the time you forgot to take off those sparkly, dangling earrings.
    Quote Originally Posted by S. Lisa Smith View Post
    ...maybe it was the earrings
    Did you ever have a pair of earrings that were just so cute that you never wanted to take them off? Maybe these supposed earrings were like that. (No, she never saw me in earrings. She has seen me sitting and talking around with other women, I know. Sometimes when a group of us get together and we just 'click' the hands start flying, I have knowledge that most men 'shouldn't' have, unless, . . . you know, and just basically blend. It's funny, sometimes I'll see them start, look at me quizzically, and then just get back into the flow of conversation. Sigh. Who knows? ).

Quote Originally Posted by Jorja View Post
    . . . it could have been that hidden video camera in your room.
    Jorja, as I have only taken my wife to this B&B, I have made pains to be a very good boy during these trips. The most risqué thing a hidden camera might have seen is me checking my girly Facebook page when my wife was asleep.

Kathi

Quote Originally Posted by Jorja View Post
    I believe animals can see through our little disguises. As for the innkeeper, it could have been that hidden video camera in your room.
    If they can see through our disguises, I am so glad they know enough to keep their mouths shut. The last thing I need some Blab-rador Receiver telling my wife what I do when she isn't there

I have a feeling that that very perceptive innkeeper will be seeing a lot of Kathi and her spouse in the future!