Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Politically Correct titles

Come and talk with me ;) Briana90802's Avatar

Politically Correct titles

So I was reading about the differences between "transvestite" and "crossdresser" and I was wondering what would be more PC? Any ideas? This is a chance for you funny and creative people to think of something fun.

I think I prefer effeminately attired

A nose by any other name will smell!!!

I've never seen any problem with ma'am.

How about, "I'm an Xgamer."?

As both words mean the same linguistically, it has never worried me which is used about me - though I tend to use Crossdresser about myself; I couldn't say why.
    Love, Bev x

Something simple like " crosstransdresservestite" or " transdressercrossvestite, or maybe just chage it to " Happydresser" or knowing you lot " ive got pantieson dresser"
    Last edited by Joanne f; 02-07-2011 at 04:10 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Joanne

Silver Member
    This reminds me of the other various terms that have been tried over the years such as "GEM", gender enhanced male. I rather liked Virginia Prince's term "femmiphile" (but it sounds way too much like "pedophile" to be practical today.)

I usually prefer clinical terminology myself, maybe it is the engineer in me.

I personally don't like the term "crossdresser"...I creates an image for me of a hairy guy sneaking into his wife's panties while she's out. I like "transvestite", although it does make people think of Rocky Horror Picture Show.

I usually refer to myself as transgendered or of "flexible gender status", but it kind of helps that I hang around with a diverse group of people of varying gender and sexual orientations. I've also been known to just call myself a tranny.
    "There came a time when the risk to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. "

- Anais Nin

The avvy pic isn't me
    It's kind of an oldie, but "fem-male".
    I still don't understand why so many get all tripped up with the good ol' transgendered term, well i mean i think i know why, but it is an unecessary fear. And by that i mean the fear of the prefix trans. But there are many who just can't get their heads around a simple spectrum that we all co-exist on.

Cassie

a bit nutty
    Transvestite makes me think of someone standing on the corner trying to turn a trick. Crossdresser seems to be less offensive. Something better? Oh, I'm not that creative.

Ginger

Karren works well.... For me... Not you...
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Aspiring Member
    Im a transsexual, but I dont like titles. But, whatever I am, I am definitely not politically correct- does that make me"PC challenged?"

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar
    I also am politically challenged! And I don't like titles!! Just call me Stephanie, or Ma'am! At least when I am in enfemme clothing!!

BTW, crossdressers and transvestites are two entirely different types of people. A Transvestite dresses enfemme for sexuaL reasons, while a crossdresser dresses enfemme for many other reasons! Don't call me a Transvestite unless you are a very good distance away. Otherwise you will have a broken nose!!
    Stephanie

Lady on the outside, but man underneath!

The avvy pic isn't me
    Be careful with that exclamation key Steph, one of these days your gonna break it. For someone who doesn't like titles you sure are adamant in there usage.
    I have seen numerous websites and links to sites, over the past several months, that differ in all the various terms and their definitions, suffice it to say that the jury is still out.
    It is what it is...........

Cassie
    Last edited by Cassandra Lynn; 02-08-2011 at 08:32 PM.

. . . . . just don't call me late for dinner!
    Grace,
    Bobbi

"Talking is sharing. Listening is caring."

I'll settle for wannabe fem! I've never been politically correct anyhows! And to Sissy Stephanie, I would never call you that 'cause I hate the sight of blood, even more so when it's MINE!!!!!

Question

This is a real tough one. I think if you ask any two people what a "transvestite," a "crossdresser," or "transgender" for that matter, means you get three different answers!

The definitions just aren't clear.(!!!) I got into some consternation on another, mostly TS, forum by identifying myself as a crossdresser. I got a lot of attitude because crossdressers supposely "choose" to do what we do and/or we dress for sexual pleasure (I actually think there is a clinical term "Transvestic Fetishist" that means one who dresses for sexual pleasure.). I had to defend myself because neither of these statements are correct in my case.

(I was really surprised at how angry the whole CD thing made some of our TS sisters. I still don't get it but that is for another thread.)

The discussion actually was pretty good at times and it was suggested that maybe a new, clearer term for those of us that dress for a gender identity related reason should be created. Any suggestions?

Transgender is a good term but it is pretty well understood to be an umbrella term. "Multigendered" maybe? Possibly just clearly make a distinction between "transvestite" and "crossdresser?" That probably wouldn't fly because I understand that the TV word doesn't have the negative, sexual connotations across the pond that it does here. Maybe if we all spoke American instead of English

I personally don't mind "crossdresser" but the idea that it is either sexual or that it is a choice doesn't sit well me. Not that there is anything wrong with either of those, but for me it is not sexual nor do I have any choice.

Debby

mini kilted chick t-girlxsophie's Avatar
    how the hell do we expect to get acceptance when we get hung up on words,transvestite or crossdresser (tho cant say ever felt angry dressing lol) I could care less,if either term disturbs you then theres a major problem there as far as i can see,just show me the same respect you would show anyone thats all that is important.
    We look to Scotland,for all our Ideas of Civilisation-Voltaire

========================================

A woman who loves to wear beautiful clothes is like a flower.
    A man who loves to emulate these women is a special flower-a rose
    Facebook:Sophie Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by LisaK View Post
    I personally don't like the term "crossdresser"...I creates an image for me of a hairy guy sneaking into his wife's panties while she's out. I like "transvestite", although it does make people think of Rocky Horror Picture Show.
    I see it exactly the opposite way. To me, "crossdresser" is the friendlier term while "transvestite" seems to bring visions of the denizens of Transylvania.

Regardless, as the language evolves folks will come up with negative connotations for any commonly-used designation and other folks will figure out ways to be offended by it.

May I just steal a bit from a popular comedian and refer to myself as a "Male Lesbian?"

I like gender-gifted.

Born in Scotland - live in Western Australia.
    May I just steal a bit from a popular comedian and refer to myself as a "Male Lesbian?" [/QUOTE]

I've often thought that if I were born female, I'd be a lesbian. Yes I like the term male lesbian!
    Jennifer Freeman

May I ?

I refer to my husband as Bi gender or dual gender... depending on my mood.

That's just me.
    Presh GG
    Last edited by Presh GG; 02-08-2011 at 03:41 PM. Reason: spelling

I don't like all the "t"'s in 'transvestite', so 'crossdresser' sounds better to my ears.

I personally, I prefer Crossdresser to Transvestite more so I am "wannabe", On here you can call me Michelle in Male mode you may call me Michael but either way please don't call me late for dinner

Magnus Hirschfeld coined the term transvestism around 1915 in Berlin (from Latin trans-, "across, over" and vestere, "to dress or to wear"). He used it to describe a group of people who habitually and voluntarily wore clothes of the opposite sex. (The distinction between sex and gender had not been made at this time.) Hirschfeld's group of transvestites consisted of both males and females, with any sexual preference.

There are many different usages and meanings of the term transvestism. Most experts agree that the correct usages is limited to:
    When people dress in clothes normally worn by the opposite gender in order to identify with that gender in some manner.
    When people dress in clothes normally worn by the opposite gender for purposes involving sexual arousal (transvestic fetishism).
    The reason you close your eyes when you dream, when you kiss, and when you pray is because the best things in life aren't seen with your eyes, but are felt with your heart.

Pasted from my previous threads:

As for transvestite vs. crossdresser, well... It's a slight semantic difference, but I prefer transvestite.

I accept the definitions at dictionary.com. Transvestite: a person and especially a male who adopts the dress and often the behavior typical of the opposite sex especially for purposes of emotional or sexual gratification. Another one that I think adds something important: person with a strong desire to dress in clothing of the opposite sex.

Crossdresser: to dress in clothing typically worn by members of the opposite sex.

Being a crossdresser or crossdressing sounds like something you do: putting on clothing of the opposite gender. Which is true, but I think it's a pretty far ranging behavior, from the girls on this forum to a guy wearing a dress, but otherwise presenting as male, on Halloween to Monty Python. But, transvestite sounds more like somebody you are inside, something more all encompassing, from birth. You get emotional and sexual fulfillment from the act of crossdressing that others do not, even if they were to crossdress. You will have lifelong desires. One of the thoughts that motivated me to tell my sister is that, even if I went to the grave without dressing up or telling anybody, I would still be a transvestite; I'd still desire to dress and present as feminine, even if I never dressed up.

Crossdresser sounds more like a euphemism to me, a more palatable word perhaps without the past negative "****ty" connotations of transvestite. I'd rather be accurate and honest though. And, hell, let's start changing what people think of the word transvestite anyway.

Final thought: I think people underestimate or talk down the power of their sexuality too often. Like, you're somehow a lesser transperson if you dress for "only" sexual reasons and not emotional. But, is there such a thing as "only" sexual reasons? I mean, your sexuality reaches deep down into who you are and your desires and yes... your emotions. If dressing up is the only way you will be satisfied sexually, that's a pretty HUGE thing that should affect your life decisions, no? I think that transpeople who are like "I like to dress up, but only for sexual reasons" are often (not all the time) trying to disassociate themselves from their transvestistic behavior in some way.