Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: What is the difference?

  1. #1
    Member Sandygal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    S.W Florida

    Question What is the difference?

    I'm no where near a rocket scientist, so I need to ask a question thats been nagging at me for some time. What is the difference between a psychiatrist and a therapist. I've been thinking I should talk to someone. Inside my mind, I have been screaming to my wife..."Please, please,please let me talk to you". But I won't do it, I love her to much to risk losing her. She knows I crossdress, but I still hide it from her. I couldn't face it if she fell out of love with me. So I dress up for an hour every now and then, but I feel that I need much more lately.So I was thinking I should talk to someone. Thanks...Sandygal

  2. #2
    Member RACH99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    The Wild Wild West.
    As I understand it a psychiatrist has actually gone to medical school and is an actual MD who took training to aid those with mental illness. Sorry to be so vague but I have a vague knowledge base.

    Depending on the state you live in a therapist may or may not have any formal training at all.

    Regardless of what kind of counseling you seek please make sure they are well versed in TG issues.

    I wish you all the best of luck in your journey, and hope that in time you and your wife will feel comfortable sharing this part of who you are. Everyone deserves to be loved for who they really are hun, and not who we pretend to be. [Let the other person see]

  3. #3
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Rach is right.

    A psychiatrist is a medical doctor who has had further training in psychiatry. He/she can prescibe any medication just like any doctor.

    A therapist may or may not have any formal training. Look for a degree after a therapist's name. If they have a degree, they will be proud of it. I general, you want a therapist with at least a Master's Degree. A Doctorate is nice too.


  4. #4
    eluuzion eluuzion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Rcky Mtns, Colorado, USA, Earth
    hiya Sandy

    "Neurotics build castles in the sky.
    Psychotics live in them.
    Psychiatrists collect the rent."

    Remember...Just because someone is wearing a white lab coat, does not mean they are an expert,. Lab coats make people think you are an expert. That is why actors on television commercials wear them (and the sales clerk behind the counter selling you cosmetics. Another psychological trick is raising the floor level behind the counters higher than the sales floor. ( gives customers the impression of authority and expertise, lol).

    As already stated, psychiatrists obtain a medical degree first, then continue several more years of education required to become a licensed psychiatrist.

    If you suddenly collapse on the floor during your meeting with a psychiatrist, he might be able to save your life. A psychologist will just call 911 because they do not have a medical degree. A therapist would also just call 911, and possibly freak out. A "counselor" without proper licensed credentials would probably not even call 911 before running away... Jus' kidd'n.

    Generally speaking, the closer you get to Las Vegas, the greater the odds become of encountering a quack wearing a white lab coat...hehehehe.

    Ok, it is a stretch for me, but I will try to be serious now...

    Most people are confused by all of the "titles" and areas of expertise. Hopefully this will provide some clarification for you...

    There is one thing they all seem to have in common. They are all expensive and just like automobile mechanics, some are really good at fixing problems and others may not be a good match for you.

    Good luck,


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Psychiatrists deal drugs; the others might actually help you.

  6. #6
    Silver Member JenniferR771's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    West Michigan
    A framed MSW on the wall or after his name is a help. Masters in Social Work. If he claims to have attended a lecture or workshop on cd--that is good. If he presented the lecture--that is better. If you are in his office and can see no books on gender, tv or cd on his book shelf--go elsewhere. Highly religious bookshelf--I don't recommend.

  7. #7
    Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Alpharetta, GA
    Sandy, as has already been stated by several others, a psychiatrist is a Medical Doctor with advanced training. A Therapist may also be a medical doctor, but most likely is not. Depending on where you live he/she may not even have to have any Degree. If they don't have a degree that means something, then go elsewhere to seek Therapy. Not all Psychiatrists deal drugs! I went to one years ago about my crossdressing and all we did was talk. I think he did help me accept who and what I am!! BTW, he did deal in gender disorders, which is why I went to him!

    Lady on the outside, but man underneath!

  8. #8
    The One True Diva KandisTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Psychiatrists will try to 'heal' you and 'fix' your 'problem' of crossdressing. Therapists will help you come to terms and have a better understanding of yourself.
    Someone once told me "Put on Your big girl panties and deal with it". If they only knew, I WAS ALREADY WEARING THEM.

    I wear the bras and panties so my wife doesn't have to.

    WARNING:Any institutions or individuals using this site or any of its associated sites for studies , projects or any other reasons You DO NOT have permission to use any of my profile or pictures in any form or forum both current and future. If you have or do, it will be considered a violation of my privacy and will be subject to legal ramifications.

  9. #9
    AKA Lexi sometimes_miss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    The state of flux, U.S.A.
    A lot of generalizations, some good, some not so good. A psychiatrist is an MD who specializes in mental health. A therapist can be pretty much anyone. Which is best? It really depends on what your problem is. Best bet is to contact others with the same type of problems as you, and go to the one that most recommend; if they are good, and unable to help you, they will recommend someone who can. I've known good and bad psychiatrists, and good and bad therapists. Like every other profession, the quality of the individual varies.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

  10. #10
    Silver Member linnea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    The key difference is a medical degree. With either one, seek special knowledge, understanding, and experience with transgender issues.
    warmly, Linnea

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Check out these other hot web properties:
Catholic Personals | Jewish Personals | Millionaire Personals | Unsigned Artists | Crossdressing Relationship
BBW Personals | Latino Personals | Black Personals | Crossdresser Chat | Crossdressing QA
Biker Personals | CD Relationship | Crossdressing Dating | FTM Relationship | Dating | TG Relationship

The crossdressing community is one that needs to stick together and continue to be there for each other for whatever one needs.
We are always trying to improve the forum to better serve the crossdresser in all of us.

Browse Crossdressers By State