I was in the park near my house today, when I was approached -- as unexpectedly as can be -- by my ex-wife (ugly divorce last year after only a few months of marriage; had nothing to do with my dressing, as she only found out about this after our divorce (to her credit, she was quite understanding)) and her teenage son. Several weeks ago, after much bitter e-mailing, I shut down all further communication, and felt entirely done with her. She has been having a hard time letting go, though. Given the nastiness of our last communications, I had no desire to see her ever again. I hadn't seen her son since she left the house with him the night before I filed for divorce (she proceeded to clear out the checking account the next morning).

In the park, I was wearing black pull-on crepe pants -- not very noticeably feminine, and a matching tank and sheer blouse. These were, I thought, only slightly more noticeable. It is black and which with a Hawaiian flower design (which men wear), but the blouse is sheer (hence the need for the tank), and has 3/4 sleeves. As I have been venturing out a bit more bravely, I wasn't all that worried about what people might think. In the past year, I have not run into my ex one single time, so her seeing me was the last thing I expected. She is also the one person in this town (which I will soon be leaving) who I care about seeing me dressed (even demurely as I was). When she approached -- which she said was because her son wanted to say hello -- I immediately squirmed and said I was uncomfortable (true!) and was going to leave. Fortunately, they left fairly quickly and without incident. I then gathered my things and left after they'd walked away.

When I got home, I had received an e-mail from her assuring me that her son hadn't noticed that I was wearing a woman's blouse. BUSTED! I knew she'd notice, since she is very much a woman who notices what others are wearing (men and women are VERY different this way, in general).

I guess I just wanted to write this down. I'm feeling a bit badly about her seeing me for the first -- and almost certainly last -- time this way. On the other hand, I've pretty much accepted that we're entirely disconnected, so what do I care? Still, it was a bit weird.