Thread: Which would look stranger?

Which would look stranger?

Pardon the noob question, but I've been trying to figure out something. Which would seem more strange; a guy who is obviously a guy, not trying to look like a woman, but wearing articles of women's clothing in public, or a guy in drag whose cover is blown in public?

I ask because I've seen guys wearing articles of women's clothing and while it might be worthy of a double take, they actually look pretty good. I guess where I'm going with this is I see women wearing heels and dress slacks, and I'd love to be able to do the same. I guess it's kind of a silly question, I've worn stilettos with dress pants, and even peep toes with bare feet in public with no more than a few double takes, but thought I'd ask, since I don't have a feel for which would be more "accepted".

Hello, my name is Lacey. Kittie's Avatar
    I think it would depend on how much attention you are hoping to get or not to get as the case may be. Whether you are out to turn heads or to make yourself feel good in the knowledge of what you are wearing. I would imagine going all out drag would look the most.. Intriguing shall we say? x

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hhdave View Post
    Pardon the noob question, but I've been trying to figure out something. Which would seem more strange; a guy who is obviously a guy, not trying to look like a woman, but wearing articles of women's clothing in public, or a guy in drag whose cover is blown in public?------------------------------
    I guess I'm not sure I would be able to tell the difference, HH! Do u mean the one would have no makeup and a short, male hair cut?
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

I do this nearly everyday. I wear leggings or spandex pants, with nice boots, or shoes. Today I had clearly visible fishnet hose, under my blue spandex pants.
    "I am not altogether on anyone's side as no one is all together on my side"
    Tree beard. Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers.

Hi.

Are you trying to look like the hippy gang of the 60 s on . as many there were like the flower power group , hey lovely colours tho & i like those neat colours skirts the most.& some neat tops .

does it really matter what you wear. so long as your comforable with what ever you wear.
    If you go back to the 1400 to 1700 have a look at the clothes of then , men in skirts as well ,

Most of the men in our S C A Renaissance group they were dressed in skirts 210 plus visiters as well & some of thier out fits were neat.this was 3 weeks ago.

...noeleena...

Depending on your personality, you can get away with a lot or very little. There are men in the world who have the personality where they could go to work dressed as Superman and it would seem like a party atmosphere. Now, if I did that, it would seem like something quite odd was going on. Over and over, people have advised here that one should hold their head up high and act like they own the place when they go out in public. Attitude is the great equalizer, I suppose. The best test for you is to go out in public and try a few looks and see how they play out. You can ask members of the general public for opinions. If you press about three times, some people will tell you what you are asking for (whether the answer is good or bad). I have been told that my outfit was "frumpy" or "like a librarian" upon pressing for the truth. If you have read many of my posts, you know that I have gone out as a guy in all femme clothes including a skirt and heels. The general public takes a good look at me and then goes on about their business. Store clerks are just as polite and seemingly unphased as they would be if I was dressed as my normal guy self. If you have a female friend that you could go shopping with and share the fact that you want to add femme details to your wardrobe, she might offer support and advice. I believe I need to take a friend with me when I go shopping because I need someone to look me over when I come out of the dressing room and say "yes" or "no" to things. Store clerks cannot be trusted. (I have been told that things look great that looked pretty bad in my opinion.) Also, they don't feel comfortable expressing honest opinions.

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar
    For the past 6 years, since my wife passed away, I have been going out dressed as Stephanie but looking exactly like the man that I am. No wig or makeup! In that 6 years I have not yet had one single negative comment about my clothes. If you are dressed decently, and not in a showoff fashion, people really don't care unless you live in a small town! I live in a suburb of Atlanta, Georgia in the U.S.A. It is not very small! But I go everywhere dressed enfemme!! Your own attitude makes a very big difference in how you are perceived! My attitude is now, and has been for a long time, that I belong in what I am wearing. I am not a woman, but a man who likes to dress as a woman! What I wear is my business!!
    Stephanie

Lady on the outside, but man underneath!

Hard for me to say! If not fully dressed, I always have my purse with me, wearing lipstick, earrings, and a bra with breast, 38-c!

I will clash with Pythos on this one. In his case it's fine because he's wearing an obvious costume, but I think it's reassuring to people to see that someone is aware of social norms, so I think a fully en femme look with venue-appropriate clothes goes over easier.

People over 60 are an exception, I think, because oftentimes older women start looking much more mannish with the drop in estrogen, so unless there is male pattern baldness or facial hair it is easier for older crossdressers to pass.

Cordgrass. I do not do the "costume" look when I wear my leggings in male mode. I wear them as a man. I do not hide the fact I am male. No makeup, and "normal" hair. I wear them "respectfully", in other words in a tunic style, with either a long sweater, or fitted shirt. I don't display...um, the male lump. I wear this for work, and for day to day stuff. I may post some examples of my day to day looks. The pics you see of me on this site are either ones that have never left the house, or are "venue specifiic".

Sorry if I did not convey that in my original response.
    Last edited by Pythos; 02-18-2011 at 11:20 AM.
    "I am not altogether on anyone's side as no one is all together on my side"
    Tree beard. Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers.

I'll add one here...I am out every day in some combination of clothes (but usually all female) and presenting as a male. My daily attire is nice slacks, top or blouse, fem shoes and full under-dressings. Its the combination of what you wear and how you present it that will get looks. In my case the clothes are, at a glance, stylishly male but not to the metro look as some might think. I'm just trying to look nice and professional. Nothing I wear is overtly feminine unless I'm wearing a jacket or windbreaker that wont be coming off during the day then for sure underneath that is usually a very feminine blouse or top. The only time I have ever come close to an issue (and it was me, not the client's customer) was when the woman of the house answered the door and we were standing there looking at each other wearing the exact same outfit (black fitted T, slacks with shirt tucked in, same belt, and same shoes). Awkward for about 2 seconds then the rest of the meeting went as if nothing was out of the ordinary. I even heard back from the client that the customer thought I was very professional and knew my job...nothing about what I was wearing. Take a look at the avatar picture...short-sleeved tunic over slacks and boots. Since it was in a neighborhood and no one was going to be home, I wore the tunic instead of a top or blouse but this is in general my typical dress for the average day.

Jenn

Answering it on the way you have put the question i would think that being in drag and being read would seam the strangest to the general public as most people look at head height so if you are wearing trousers/slacks/pants and shoes in male mode it would be less obvious and the fact that you are not trying to hide who you are in my opinion maybe one of the fist steps of society getting to accept cross dressing a lot more .
    But you must do what makes you feel happiest and the most comfortable.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Joanne

more accepted? Looking fully femme.
    If someone wants to go out as a guy in women's clothes, more power to you if you do and you don't worry about what others think.
    Last edited by Fab Karen; 02-20-2011 at 07:28 PM.
    [SIZE="3"]Gender is a state of mind[/SIZE]
    LGBTQ PRIDE
    As of Oct. 5th, go here to see my pics:http://www.flickr.com/people/fab_karen/
    A Yankee Doodle T-Girl
    proud of my President

Thanks all for the input. I know a guy whom I met through another forum, and we both like heels. He sports skirts, women's slacks, and even dresses, but has a beard and isn't trying to pass. Guess I'm the same way, and I was very tempted to wear heels to a theater production but chickened out. It's weird, I've worn heels in public lots of times, but every so often I'll get cold feet (no pun intended ).

Aspiring Member
    This is no big deal. I just spent most of today in Edinburgh, initially wearing a blouse under an open jacket, then replacing the [male] trousers with a skirt, tights and heels, and adding a blue duffel coat and a green hat and sunnies, carrying a handbag - no make up, no wig, no bra or boobs, and no problem. No one cares, which is as it should be. After trying on a few dresses in Jenners (before the change to skirts) I asked if many men try things on and they said lots. I think the breakthrough is really here for those who have the guts to go for it. Wear what you want.

Susan

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cordgrass View Post
    I think it's reassuring to people to see that someone is aware of social norms, so I think a fully en femme look with venue-appropriate clothes goes over easier.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fab Karen View Post
    More accepted? Looking fully femme.
    I agree with Cordgrass and Fab Karen. You see, the thing is, IMHO most people like to keep things in that ridged bi-gendered mindset and so for a guy to be openly wearing womens clothes and trying not to pass can either make people feel uncomfortable or they might find it humorous, but to present fully (as best you can) as "female" then I think people still read you but they perhaps think "ok, I understand what this person is trying to do" and they maybe feel less uncomfortable because they maybe understand it better.
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!