Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So what's in a name?

So what's in a name?

So, I’m sitting at the kitchen table this morning eating breakfast when my wife comes in, sits down and says, “I had a thought this morning…:

“Hmmm,” I respond as my mouth was full of peanut butter and toast.

“Linda…”

Linda who? I’m totally confused .

“I think your female name should be Linda.”

Could have knocked me over with a feather! A little history: a few months ago when I told her I was going by Mina as my female name she informed me that she didn’t like that name because it was too close to hers. I explained to her how I came up with the name based on my male name: William = Wilhelmina, shortened to Mina. Mina is also a somewhat unique if not totally unknown name. Now maybe I’m an insensitive clod but the similarity to my wife’s name never occurred to me until she brought it up.

Back to this morning:

“Not only is Linda similar to your middle name (true) but then you won’t sound like a hooker .”

Ouch! But really, does Mina sound like a hooker’s name? More telling is that fact that she used my own argument about name similarity to promote her choice of a name.

On the plus side she is actually engaging in conversation about my crossdressing, and attempting to take some “ownership” of my female persona by picking my name. I can only think of this as a positive sign.

So, should I change my name to Linda?

On the one hand I like Mina as a name, and it is unique. But does it really sound like a hooker’s name?

On the other hand, if "Mina" offends the wife (for whatever reason…), and I like Linda (or maybe Lynda??) as a name, why not change it? This is actually the only place that I’m really known a Mina anyway…

Opinions?
    Mina Lost aka Lynda

Hey if my wife suggested a name for me I'd have to seriously consider it. Maybe have her take me out on a shopping trip to think about it!

Change it silly! It's my wife's name so I'm kind of biased.
    Dana Fleming

No, Mina does not sound like a hookers name.. it sounds sexy.. and makes me think of Dracula

I like the Lynda with a 'y'. It satisfies her idea and it makes it your own by adding your own twist. I guess if you feel comfortable hearing the name, why not? I'm lucky, my first name is generic and at one time I would have been embarrased to use it enfem, but recently I was shopping and used my credit card with my own name...kind of convenient as it turns out. In general though, I like to use a name that doesn't identify the male me.
    Chickie

Quote Originally Posted by LitaKelley View Post
    No, Mina does not sound like a hookers name.. it sounds sexy.. and makes me think of Dracula
    Always been a Dracula fan myself. One of the other reasons I liked the name.
    Mina Lost aka Lynda

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    If my wife had suggested I change my name to one she was more comfortable with and helped her better relate to my femme side, I'd do it in a heartbeat.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

I like both names. Mina to me doesnt sound like a "hooker" name though. Youre kinda in a jam, you like your name, but that little ounce of your SO's input can go a long way! But if you do go with Lynda, spell it with a Y.

(disclaimer: My "other" secret name is Mina Castor so I have a bias to like Mina)

My wife took to calling me Monique when I was dressing or acting feminine. She thought it was a god idea because it is close to my male name. I didn't mind it but I only let her call me that. It became a pet name. I was just happy she called me anything at all
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Just getting my feet wet Marie-Elise's Avatar
    I think you should go for the name she suggests. If nothing else, it gives her a sense of ownership in your female persona. Every time she says it or refers to you by it, she will know that the person is a construct of the both of you. I am jealous.

Oh to be an English Rose Jane G's Avatar
    If you like the name Lynda then go for it. It's just a name, but both of you will have contributed to the name, which means so much more than the name it's self.

mini kilted chick t-girlxsophie's Avatar
    Couldn't you compromise and make Mina your middle name,my Wife picked my middle name,I had never thought of hving one before,I like it too which helps
    We look to Scotland,for all our Ideas of Civilisation-Voltaire

========================================

A woman who loves to wear beautiful clothes is like a flower.
    A man who loves to emulate these women is a special flower-a rose
    Facebook:Sophie Johnson

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar
    Make her happy! Change it! I also agree that Mina or some version of Mina could be Lynda's middle name.

This is a no-brainer!

tina

p.s. yes, my wife chose this name from a list of names I was ok with, but had she come up with another name I'd have taken that!

a bit nutty
    Oh if my wife know about "Ginger", she'd have a new name for me alright. A few I'd imagine like...a$$hole, bas#$%rd, liar liar pants (or is that skirt) on fire, oh and don't forget the cursory "divorced".

Ugh, I'll stick with Ginger.

As many hookers as there are, no name escapes being used ("Hi, I'm Chastity. Looking for a date tonight?"). There's really no OTHER valid reason to change your name than that your wife wants you to. You explained how you chose your name and that's fine. But if it gets you just a little more acceptance, change it.
    Last edited by NicoleScott; 02-18-2011 at 01:40 PM. Reason: typo

I am biased too but for different reasons

My wife helped me choose the name Shelly so yes I would change it

Anything that helps her be more comfortable with your female side has to be good
    Shelly

Super Moderator....How to tell your partner......Abbreviations

Quote Originally Posted by NicoleScott View Post
    As many hookers as there are, no name escapes being used ("Hi, I'm Chastity. Looking for a date tonight?"). There's really no OTHER valid reason to change you name than that your wife wants you to. You explained how you chose your name and that's fine. But if it gets you just a little more acceptance, change it.
    Are you implying i have a hooker name??!?

Aspiring Member
    Mina, It wasn't fair of your wife to attempt manipulating you by calling up that not-so-subtle denigration. If she had a friend named Mina, would she tell her that her name is a hooker's name? She didn't need to attack to make her opinion known.

What's in a name? Identity for one. We choose a name because it feels like it fits us. Like you, I gave deep thought to my name and why it was a good fit for me. I suppose it's a different dynamic when the name comes along *after* you've been in a relationship, but I'd still be extremely reluctant to even think about changing it based on a partner's dislike.

No, I actually like the name. I have known two girls named Chastity and liked them both, It's just the last name I would expect for a hooker. No offense to you intended.

if the so is not happy nobody,s happy! change it and enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by NicoleScott View Post
    No, I actually like the name. I have known two girls named Chastity and liked them both, It's just the last name I would expect for a hooker. No offense to you intended.
    Haha nah I knew you didnt mean anything by it just wanted to ruffle your undies a bit

I can understand wanting to use a variation of your male name. I was and still thinking about using Lennette, Leondra, or Lenore. My male name is Leonard. I actually had a web page for people to vote and Lennette lead with 3 to 1 vote for Lenore. I'm still undecided.

I don't think Mina sounds like name for a hooker. I was thinking that maybe you should combine both Mina and Linda/Lynda but I don't think it would sound right. Sounds like your wife would rather call you Linda/Lynda than MIna. The only solution that I can come up with is to keep using Mina in the forum and use Linda/Lynda with your wife.
    lmildcd is now known as Lennette Lost.

Quote Originally Posted by LitaKelley View Post
    ......Suck What?????

If your wife suggested a name I think that you should use it. Anyway, Linda is a nice name.
    Hugs, Carole

Keep her happy, but no need to let her dictate.
    How about Lynn Duh!