Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: a woman in a trouser suit

I used to think they weren't feminine until I got one.
    Now I have 2 and they definately do not feel or look masculine in any way.
    A fully lined pair of pants that zip up the side is definately feminine.

I find it hard to look good in them, all the details become more important.
    The accesories and shaping all have to be better ect.
    That simple top that looks ok with a skirt, can look kinda butch with trousers.

I think they can look feminine or they can look like you just arent trying and threw something on in a hurry.
    Some women definately can pull it off and look very good in them.

One of the things I enjoy about dressing is all the options you get, so many more colors, fabrics and styles.
    So I like trying everything.
    I think my pantsuit experiments have taught me how to accesorize better, and they dont feel at all masculine.

Wow all I have to say is Anne Hathaway. Her looks, her shoes and her natural beauty, what a beautiful trouser suit. Now as someone mentioned Hillary Clinton, nothing against her but I do not think she was trying to be sexy. The right cut accentuating the right curves and shoes and accessories make the outfit. I sometimes like the look a trouser suit gives I just need to have them altered which I have never been brave enough to do to get the right cut and shape. Again some women like has been mentioned look uber sexy in sweats or the best Shania Twain look a mans dress shirt and beautiful legs sticking out underneath.

When it comes to women in suits with slacks. Take a look at hillary clinton. Do you see anything sexy/femme/appealing? The pic that Avana posted is much more appealing.

mini kilted chick t-girlxsophie's Avatar
    I almost succumbed to buying a trouser suit yesterday,but decided the skirt would be nicer,but became a moot point because alas the jacket was too short in the arms (a common problem for us),I did buy 2 blouses that are really femme though,which I think would look great at softening up a Trouser Suit.I can't think of any other fashion Item that polarises opinion amongst us as much

For U.K. girls,the shop I was in was Matalan,£25 for the suit (Trouser or Skirt) and Blouse (diff styles and colours)
    We look to Scotland,for all our Ideas of Civilisation-Voltaire

========================================

A woman who loves to wear beautiful clothes is like a flower.
    A man who loves to emulate these women is a special flower-a rose
    Facebook:Sophie Johnson

Wink

Golly, would you rather us gg's just take up an aframe (wife beater) and torn jeans?
    If I'm gunna dress up it's going to be "dress up" not down. What else would be worn, t shirt? Not a lot of choices less you want to look like a slob.
    "if i find in myself desires which nothing in this world can satisfy, the only logical explanation is that I was made for another world."
    -C.S Lewis

Banned Read only
    While I prefer dresses and skirts, this is not the 50's and most women are not June Cleaver. Women have been wearing the trouser suit for many years now (became popular in the 70's) and most look damn good doing so. Besides, a pair of trousers can take the chill off on a cold day.

The trouser suit became a necessity as more and more women entered the workforce. It was dangerous with bare legs in most industrial situations.
    Last edited by Jorja; 03-09-2011 at 07:52 AM.

LOL , in the 60s Shirley Eaton was denied entrance to a restaurant cuz she was wearing one.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Funny Girl View Post
    LOL , in the 60s Shirley Eaton was denied entrance to a restaurant cuz she was wearing one.
    I did not say they were designed in the 70s. Obviously, they were not popular yet when Shirley Eaton wore it to a resturant and was denied entry in the 60s. Paying attention in reading class always helps.

I wear pants in drab mode so why when I'm fem would I want to wear pants???? I do have a pair of jeans and a couple of ladies trousers, but only were them in extreme situations.

Like you say the right shoes

Quote Originally Posted by DebsUK View Post
    Trouser suits look fantastic with the right shoes, a nice blouse and some choice accessories. They can be elegant, smart, professional-looking and sexy. I have one and it's cut differently from mens trousers and they hang really nicely
    and of course it must fit and maybe show a little of your curves in the right places. I have a brown pinstriped pants suit and it also has a matching skirt so I wear it either way. It always seemed that the pants were a little to short with heels but I have noticed that heels showing is coming back or maybe it never left. I enjoy wearing it with the trousers especially when out shopping. But then again most of the time I am out shopping I do wear flats.

I'm not sure about a suit per se, but I do enjoy wearing a nice blazer and slacks at times and don't think it is at all unfeminine. With some cute heels and a nice tank it can be quite attractive.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Personally, I prefer the skirt suit look especially with heels and boots and I absolutely hate girls in ties but, some women seem to be able make trouser-suits look really feminine.
    Which is why I bought a couple of women's suits and pairs of trousers to see if I could do it and, I have to admit I quite liked them but they do have to be worn with heels, it's a must!!
    Also, they're actually quite sensual to wear as they're nothing like my "man-suit" which I also hate wearing by the way, along with a shirt and tie(and any collar to be honest).

Quote Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
    A real woman can make blue jeans and sweatshirts sexy... same applies to trouser suites... they can be very sexy... agree with the tie comment though... ties are just yuky!
    Based on a lot of the pics I've seen here, I've seen many of us (though not me personally) pull the look off fairly well and look sexy.

-Tatyana

Does a zoot(sp?) suit count?
    xoxo

"trouser suits"

Somewhere during my childhood my mind began keeping a list of words/terms that just don't "work" for me. I don't know why...they just don't, lol. The word "trousers" is on that list. So is the word "lavatory", as well as a few others.

Maybe it is because I had an artistically gifted grandmother who was intricately entangled in the eccentric proclivities that often accompany well-to-do “socialites”. I have childhood memories when visiting her of being stuffed into my little dark suit and carted off to some country club dining event to be shown off to her important “friends”. I was never allowed to call her “grandma”. She always used words like “trousers”, “lavatories” and other “interesting” formalities. It was quite amusing and a bit mystical for me at that young age. (for about 5 minutes, anyway...lol). I also remember visiting her a few years later, just before she died. She was still talking...but incoherently to herself...as she proceeded to slowly roll her wheelchair back and forth into the wall of her room. Every time I hear the word “trousers”...I think of her...go figure, lol. It only sounds “right” to me if it comes from a gentleman’s mouth that is on his knees measuring your inseam at a suit fitting.

Sorry for that little digression...

“Does anyone think a woman in a trouser suit looks good?”

(trouser “suits“, not trouser “snakes”, right?)

Define “good”.

If you mean “effective” like Suze Orman selling financial strategies on an infomercial...maybe. (in a domineering “I’m always right” sort of way, lol).

If you mean “good” as in “professionally authoritative” in the business world...probably.

If you mean “good” as in “sexually appealing” feminine attire...
    ...with a minimum of 4” heels...it’s a stretch...but...maybe a little bit.
    ...with low heels or (God forbid) “flats” of any kind...a definite deal killer (unless she is my attorney, lol)

So, final result of all judges’ scores...a dark business suit with skirt & black 4” heels is the best ROI.

jus' my thoughts...never claimed they were stable...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Platinum Member
    I think a good looking woman in a finely taylored suit can be very sexy.

Orchid

Agreed Orchid. I've seen some HOT women that look VaVoom in their trouser suits.
    -Sedona

A woman wearing a trouser suit is a crossdresser.
    Whenever I have worn a skirt in male mode, there have never been any issues at all.

To me, a women in most anything looks good.

Silver Member
    I like women in suits. Recently saw a show where the women dancers had on suits, hat and canes. They didn't have anything on under the suits. Very sexy.

Hillary Rodham Clinton would never look sexy even in a dress. That is the key. Models can look great in anything, Some women can't look great in anything. That includes some of us.

Some of you seem to be under the misapprehension that the role of the female and what is the most 'feminine' is to be as sexy as possible at all times. Well, that may be the case for the occasional crossdresser when assuming that feminine position - but, dammit, women are more than a two dimensional cardboard cutout for others to paint on their ideas of femininity and sexuality 24/7. We have to work, we have to take care of our daily tasks, we have to live within our budgets - yet somehow there are always people who seem to disapprove of us if we also aren't trying to look like some sort of fashion plate.

IMHO, It's one thing to say 'I don't like the fashion of x or y style on women' - like jeans, or trouser suits. It's entirely another thing to say, 'it makes me mad to see women wearing y or x' or 'I hate women wearing y or x.' Because quite often that clothing comes along with certain roles. There's no way in hell I would wear any sort of dress to work my job most of the time - I work with the public in an outdoors setting and a dress or skirt (or even a trouser suit) would be out of place at best (making the people I'm interacting with uncomfortable because I'm not fitting in with their idea of what a naturalist is) and completely obscene and innappropriate at worst (a sundress in a windy climate, when you're leading a talk with a sizeable group of people? I'd get complaints for indecent exposure and ruin my credibility for being knowledgeable about this climate and environment). Telling me that I shouldn't be wearing "masculine clothes" (which I buy in specifically female cuts in specifically female sections of stores, tyvm) is telling me that I shouldn't be working this 'masculine job' which I have the skills, training and passion to do. They go hand in hand. (All but one of the paid staff where I work is natally female, by the way.)

I wear exactly the clothing I want to wear and most often my choice comes down to, 'what's appropriate for my schedule and my mood today?' rather than 'what's going to look the absolute cutest?' Because, honestly, I think wearing the outfit in that one link to work? Yeah, that would probably get lots of pointed hints that it was innappropriate and that I should go home to change. A trouser suit? Probably also fifty times too dressy, especially if I was going to be seeing the public. Even a trouser suit is just not practical, outdoors-y clothing.
    Last edited by Babeba; 03-15-2011 at 02:27 AM.

Babeba you are exactly on the mark as far as wearing appropriate clothing for the particular environment your in. The subject of the thread was opinion of trouser suits on women.

Quote Originally Posted by Emma England View Post
    Hmmm, I can't agree with this. At all. By this logic, so would any woman wearing pants, shorts, or if you want to go back far enough, shoes.
    -Sedona

Quote Originally Posted by suzy1 View Post
    I would love to know. Does anyone think a woman in a trouser suit looks good?
    For me it’s just too masculine. Nothing cute or feminine at all. I hate them.
    If you had said that you don't like wearing them, then I would nod my head in approval for your personal styling choices. But to know there are people out there who pass judgment on my level of feminity based on what I wear makes me feel as if they see me in a one dimensional light, and I feel somewhat objectified.

Quote Originally Posted by Emma England View Post
    This argument is wishful thinking, it is old as the hills, and it is very far off the mark. Just so you know, I wear pants and I am not a crossdresser.

It is more appropriate to say that women have a much greater range of clothing choices than men do.

Quote Originally Posted by Babeba View Post
    Some of you seem to be under the misapprehension that the role of the female and what is the most 'feminine' is to be as sexy as possible at all times. Well, that may be the case for the occasional crossdresser when assuming that feminine position - but, dammit, women are more than a two dimensional cardboard cutout for others to paint on their ideas of femininity and sexuality 24/7. We have to work, we have to take care of our daily tasks, we have to live within our budgets - yet somehow there are always people who seem to disapprove of us if we also aren't trying to look like some sort of fashion plate.

Quote Originally Posted by EllieOPKS View Post
    Babeba you are exactly on the mark as far as wearing appropriate clothing for the particular environment your in. The subject of the thread was opinion of trouser suits on women.
    Babeba answered beautifully. The leading opinion was accompanied with a rather strong statement about 'hating' women who wear trouser suits.
    Reine

I am feeling bad for starting this thread now having read some of your comments.
    Sorry Reine, Babeba, Ellie.
    The thing is, I can see your point and agree.

It was just my feelings on them that’s all.
    Reine, I did not say I hated women, I meant I hated the trouser suit they are wearing!

SUZY
    Last edited by suzy1; 03-15-2011 at 02:20 PM.