Thread: Just how important?

Just how important?

As a CDer just how important is appearance to you? I know some gals who have to have every hair in place, makeup has to be perfect, handbag and shoes must match, seasonal colors, etc., etc. That's the proposed Ideal but in real life with woman it's much different and the modern woman just doesn't have the time or patience to be prissy or fuss with all of that stuff. Ergo, long ago I decided to look the real part I needed to mess up my hair a bit so it didn't look so perfect. Basically this is one thing that tends to give CDers away by trying to look too together. Any woman knows how to "fake it" anyway and just throw it together when necessary.

Sometimes just throwing the looks together works better and if you don't dwell on whether or not you are going to "pass" or not and just concentrate on being yourself and having fun, it works much better. You can even get away with "manly" stuff sometimes and no one really bats an eye as they are looking at you, the person rather than you the female impersonator. I'm wondering how many have been successful from taking this tact in their ongoing quest for personal development?
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Very well said Denise. We tend to make it so blasted much work, that its no fun. You made me think .

Well,many GGs have the beauty"built in"lol so that their hair'fashionably messy" in a claw clip still looks great.And they have no beard to cover...so it goes a whole lot easier in the hair and makeup dept...However,I agree that sometimes not having everything picture perfect is a more blendable look..

Never really seriously thought about it! Very good question.

My appearance is very important to me. It is not about being perfect (I'm far from it), but it is about feeling and looking my best as appropriate for the venue or event. Part of the joy of shopping for me is putting together a great look whether it be shoes, jewelery, makeup, etc.. I can spend hours finding the exact right things to construct a complete outfit. IMO, passing and being well put together are not directly connected. Being well put together or fashionable does not scream "CD" unless it is inappropriate at that moment. You see GGs across the whole spectrum of fashion appearance. I agree it is more important not to dwell too much about passing. There is so much more to fully passing than being well put together or not.

Not buying it. It is your choice to look like hell in the name of "ongoing quest for personal development", but don't put down those who care how they look by callling them female impersonators. If you don't care how you look you're real and if you do care you're fake? Sounds to me like an excuse for laziness. You've been around here a long time, and should know that people dress in different ways of expression and for different reasons. Can you only see things your way?

If appearance wasn't important to me I'd probably be wearing those god awful women's jeans! Lol.
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Platinum Member
    Hi Denise, Nobody ever said that being a lady was going to be easy, Just fun.

Orchid

Gold Member
    I am finding a balance. I will do the regular things (plucking, epilating, etc) that contributes to the look and can be on non-dressing days. When it comes to dressing time, I don't want it to take hours. I am winning on not standing in front of the closet all day but I am losing on fixing my hair as it never seems good enough. The irony is that I love my hair because I want to be able to fix it different ways.

Well, you have to understand Denise that for me trying to look good is an important part of crossdressing. It's not so much about passing either, but rather a desire to be a cder who presents well especially when going out. And you don't have to be prissy and fussy to look halfway decent either, but it's important to put some thought into it.
    With respect to delberately messing myself up to appear more realistic, that's not really necessary in my case. That kinda happens on it's own.

Appearance is very important to me, although it might not look like it :-) . I can easily try on 10 things before going out and hate them all. And...my makeup...I stress so much on the makeup. I dunno...when dressed as a guy... I could care less....5 minutes and I'm out the dooor.

I wear what's comfortable for me! Some of us can't afford to look like fashion queens all the time! Most important to me is I'm satisfied! For the world I say, if you don't like the way I'm living, you just leave this long haired country girl alone!

To me she is a wonderful person, (Dolly Parton), and had three quotes I will always remember:
    "You'd be surprised how much it costs to look this cheap! "
    "I look just like the girls next door... if you happen to live next door to an amusement park. "
    "It's a good thing I was born a girl, otherwise I'd be a drag queen. "

I know many ladies (real Gg's) that spend a long time EVERY day fixing themselves just right. I also know many that couldn't give a diddly. I try and emulate those that care to look good whenever I present myself. Doesn't make me better than you - just different. Isn't that O.K.?
    Oh yeh, here's another from her "If you don't like the road your walkin', start paving another"
    Last edited by Stephanie Miller; 03-07-2011 at 08:42 AM.

Evidently some folks have a lot of anger and need to direct it at someone when their little world is threatened. I never say just because something works for me and my personality, it will work for everyone. I just throw the questions out there. If I recall in a previous thread of mine when I asked how womanly others felt, many said they never felt womanly because they knew they were men and no amount of dressing would change that. If that is not the goal I'm wondering just what it is to be a good looking guy who dresses like a woman? If so what do you call that? My observations usually address who we are rather than what we are.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Banned Read only
    One of the pleasures I get from dressing is trying to look as "pretty" or "sexy" as possible. I will do my best to look as good as I can, but I realized I wasn't born a "pretty woman", and am definitely not a "pretty boy". I try to look as close to a GG as possible, especially when I venture out in public.

For me it depends on what day it is, if I haven't dressed for a while, I enjoy going all out, but after a few days staying dressed I can find myself, throwing on a cute tee, and a pair of Capri's put whats left on top of my head up in a pony tail, flats, maybe lipstick, maybe not. Also depends on just what I'm going to be doing. It's all good, as long as it ain't guy gear.
    Tina B.

Platinum Member
    its important to me. I don't strive for perfection - but I like to feel that I've done my best. If I'm not in the mood, I'll just wear a t-shirt and jeans.

Well said denise, as my years of crossdressing have increased, I seem to go towards everyday comfort and that means my pumps might not match, but I feel more comfortable

Very good question Denise. I found that blending in with the norm is the best way to pass and as you mentioned, many GGs now are just throwing together their wardrobe as they go about their daily routine. Jeans, sneakers, a modest top, and I'm usually good to go. Sometimes minor accessories but nothing over the top unless I'm planning a special event and for that I'll get dolled up.
    Luv and Jill

Straight, into Fantasy Land

No anger here, but rather somewhat amused that you can throw a road-kill carcus on your head (being certain to muss it up a bit so as not to look TOO good) and call yourself a modern woman. Those who spend time trying to look good, you see as fake. A female impersonator is a man who acts as a woman in a theatrical performance. Your use of that term missed the mark. And you should know by now that not all cd's dress because they feel womanly. Some like to dress up just for the pleasure of it, while maintaining their identity as a man. Some dress because they feel feminine, and some feel feminine just when they dress. After nearly 5 years and 12,000 posts, you should understand that not all cd's have a feminine identity, unless you haven't been reading posts, just writing them. Hey, if you don't care how you look, fine. Just don't diminish others who do.

appearance = very important to me.... A goddess demands perfection

Worlds Prettiest Dad!!! Jocelyn Quivers's Avatar
    As shallow as it might sound, for me my appearance is everything. I go through great pains in order to keep and maintain my look.
    [SIZE="3"]MUSCULAR GIRLS ARE PRETTY!!![/SIZE]

Current Inspirational Song-"Running Free"- Kissin Dynamite

M-E-A-T, M-A-C-H-I-N-E, MEAT MACHINE!, MEAT MACHINE!!!
    The Governor for President 2016!!
    All I want for Christmas is an Anita Model Synth