Thread: Work, Job applications, and TG/CD

Work, Job applications, and TG/CD

Here's something I've been wondering about for a while. I'm sure everyone has filled out a job application before. Most have that one little line that asks for aliases. Well, for those of us that are out, and everyone knows, I'm sure you could put your female name there, and even explain if asked in an interview.

This brings up getting said interview. We all know that almost all employers consider themselves an EEOC. But, when reviewing apps, we are all too painfully aware that there are also those that will dismiss "that" application, though you'd never prove that was the reason. So, if you're looking at a dream job, do you put your name in that slot, or leave it blank? Some of us even have State ID's with our femme picture on it, so if there is a background check after an interview...it's still going to come up, and you could be accused of not disclosing all personal information and still lose said dream job opportunity.

So, let's say you left your 'alias' line blank, and you have no legal picture ID's. You get your interview, a job offer and you start job. Let's say somewhere down the road you get out more in the world, and want to come out to everyone needed. Do you now go to HR and ask to update your file. You explain to HR that you are TG/CD. Of coarse, they can't fire you because of this...but there is always the question of undisclosed information when you interviewed, and why did you lie at that time.

Of coarse, there is then the plan of working each and every day, not saying anything, and carrying on never letting the two worlds collide. But...if you are a person that gets out often, and near home, there is always the risk of someone from work recognizing you. Let's say someone sees you and your SO getting out of your car, and recognize the SO, the car, and examine you closely until they make the connection. They are socially stupid, and run to work and blab...thus putting you in the position of facing work. Again...they can't get rid of you for CDing, but we all know that coorporations have ways of making it look like something else.

Alright, that was a lot to really ask what others have done, or what do you all feel is the best approach?

I'd feel the best is to leave everything open, honest and unquestionable. But, for me this tosses up the question of being looked over in the application stage. I'm on the fence. Thanks!

my dream job allows me to wear whatsright for me .....
    xoxo

I'll be out soon looking for part time work just for fun and a little extra shopping $$, but will be presenting as female while looking, etc.. and will be using my female name as "alias" etc.. just not on my paycheck, lol

Hope to be working somewhere like Victorias Secret, Dress Barn, Fashion Bug, Dots, etc.. If I'm hired, fantastic .. If not, no big deal since I don't need a job since I run my own business.

Fun Loving Party Girl Ashlie Marie's Avatar
    I can shed something to that affect too last summer I did the little Mall Part Time thing I am full time but do to career marriage and family I am only legally changing my name as we speak, but back then i just went to all the stores that had "Preferred name" or "nick Name" on the app. I ended up filling a summer spot at Dots it fun my whole pay check went to clothes on pay day though for my full time job lol. All the time I am not sure who knew my past other then management and payroll but all the schedules and such all had my new name on them. Since I went as me to apply and to the interview. they never even asked me.. Hope it adds some hope :-)
    ----------------------------------------

All that is important is that you are comfy with yourself --<<--@

Come Visit me: My FaceBook Page

When it asks for sex, I check male but put a TG next to it, so if I got hired and it came up I could say I put it on application.
    The maidenform store manager at the outlets here has said she will hire me as soon as she can, she knows and has fitted me with may bras...I hope i getthe job, you wear all black including tight yoga pants and a a cute pink carpenters appron..inmale mode, but presenting rather efeminine.

That is one advantage to being self employed. I don't have to worry about what the boss or personnel department thinks about crossdressing or being transgendered.

Most folks don't broadcast the fact that they are a man or woman, why broadcast that you are a CD? If it comes out otherwise, it does. That is when you deal with it.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Putting anything in that spot having anything to do with crossdressing will render your application a mere one way ticket to the "no way" pile. It's no one's business to begin with. They might as well put a "Pedophile? Y N " question on there. The results would be the same. In a perfect world, no one cares. But this world isn't perfect by a long stretch, and companies and corporations have no soul. The answer here is a slam dunk for "None of your damn business".

Any money found in the laundry is MINE!

"This is no social crisis....this is me having fun!"

www.flickr.com/photos/tgmarla/

Platinum Member
    I'd leave it blank. But then, my name is Kim - no aliases.

In the world of private enterprise, unless you're getting into a union, they can dump you for anything. Sure you can file a complaint with the EEOC, I've got two on age discrimination during hiring, and still nothing. The only good thing about being on involuntary layoff is that I get the house to myself all day.... Let's see what can I do in the house all by myself... Oh, I'll think of something.

Renne (.)(.)

For most jobs, gender is not relevant.

By not disclosing that you are transgendered is not important to the application.

I have never seen any forms that ask for aliases.

It is the same when forms ask what ethnicity you are. I always leave these blank - because the colour of my skin (which is caucasian btw) has no relevance to any application.
    Whenever I have worn a skirt in male mode, there have never been any issues at all.

I agree with the others here - why tempt fate by being too upfront with any references (even oblique ones) to your TG status or self-identification. Some application forms now even have a box to tick of for "Male, Female" or "Prefer Not To Say".

Although often tempted to check off the "Prefer Not To Say" box to be true to myself, I simply follow past convention and dutifully answer "Male". All doing the former is likely to accomplish is to raise eyebrows and/or suspicions as to why the applicant is being so circumspect about this, and render the job application toxic. Sure, it's not fair - but it is what it is, and the corporate world has no social conscience except for what is beaten into it by force of law.

Unless one is planning to work en femme, there is no reason to reveal to a potential employer that one has TG leanings. As others have said it is an almost sure one way ticket to no job offer. If one wants to do it, fine. But it seems that it may be just a way to celebrate one's boldness without a true concern for getting a paying job to support one's self and family.

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Emma England View Post
    It is the same when forms ask what ethnicity you are. I always leave these blank - because the colour of my skin (which is caucasian btw) has no relevance to any application.
    It has a relevance to the HR department. The ethnicity is removed from the form seen by the recruiting department, but HR do random sampling to ensure that people with equal qualification and/or experience do not get eliminated on racial grounds. In the public sector, there is a duty of equality where they have to be able to demonstrate that interviews were granted on merit alone.
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

Quote Originally Posted by Ashlie Marie View Post
    I can shed something to that affect too last summer I did the little Mall Part Time thing I am full time but do to career marriage and family I am only legally changing my name as we speak, but back then i just went to all the stores that had "Preferred name" or "nick Name" on the app. I ended up filling a summer spot at Dots it fun my whole pay check went to clothes on pay day though for my full time job lol. All the time I am not sure who knew my past other then management and payroll but all the schedules and such all had my new name on them. Since I went as me to apply and to the interview. they never even asked me.. Hope it adds some hope :-)
    Wow.. that's fantastic Yes, it does give me hope, especially since you're local. Was it the Manchester store that you worked at? I love alot of the clothes they sell at Dots.. Would be sooo cool to work there.

Wow Lita! I hope you get a job this summer! That would be really cool! I almost applied for a job as a bartender/hostess last year, but chickened out at the last minute. I think this is where this whole thread started. My career job is one that is rather high profile. Dress is prescribed to the letter for each gender. Though the company (or future companies) I work for have gender equality statments in the their HR guidelines, there is one small flaw. I have no problem telling people I'm CD/TG. There's no reason to lie. But, since I get out quite often while traveling for work, I often wonder about an employee seeing me, and running to Management. Like I mentioned before, of coarse they can't fire me for such, but they can always make something up. (ie; lied on the application.) The other thing is that I am required physicals twice a year for work. Not a problem for me since I'm in pretty good healt, but if a psychiatrist were to ever identify you as Gender Dysphoric (sp?) the FEDERAL agency that oversees the medical professionals automatically denies passing any physical ever again...thus, can't perform job, and you are done. Okay...that part is something I am hoping to change over my career lifetime, and it can be changed, but that's a whole other story. Anyway...just wondering. The other thought is the state ID thing. I was actually going to get a state ID en femme one day when it hit me that if a prospective employer did a background check (required in my field) they'd see that, and it might end up in the "no way" pile too, so I went to the mall instead. Still...a succesful outting!

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessica_Dillon View Post
    This brings up getting said interview. So, if you're looking at a dream job, do you put your name in that slot, or leave it blank? Some of us even have State ID's with our femme picture on it, so if there is a background check after an interview...it's still going to come up, and you could be accused of not disclosing all personal information and still lose said dream job opportunity.

So, let's say you left your 'alias' line blank, and you have no legal picture ID's. You get your interview, a job offer and you start job. Let's say somewhere down the road you get out more in the world, and want to come out to everyone needed. Do you now go to HR and ask to update your file. You explain to HR that you are TG/CD. Of coarse, they can't fire you because of this...but there is always the question of undisclosed information when you interviewed, and why did you lie at that time.
    Being an employer with 50 permanent full time positions and at times well over 200 part time positions, I go through this quite often. If you are only a CDer and have no intentions of going further, leave the line blank. If you are TS and have a legal female I.D. and it is your intention to transition in the near future, put your alias on the line. Most employers are quite well versed on EEOC and it is not much of a problem for them. Also, when your name comes up for interview slection, that part of the application is not to be given to those doing the interviews. Interviewers are to be more interested in your qualifications for the position offered than your gender preference. That being said, each employer is different and if you can prove gender discrimination is the reason you did not get the job, you should seek legal action.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorja View Post
    If you are TS and have a legal female I.D. and it is your intention to transition in the near future, put your alias on the line.
    Oops. I should have been more clear on this. Even if you just crossdress and have no intention of going further, you can still get a State ID en femme. It still has all your boy information on it, name, age, gender, etc. But, you can get the picture you want. If you do go out fairly often, I've seen many others do this for reasons ID's may be asked for. Anyway, that was my intention on that outting. Like I said though...still turned into a succesful shopping trip.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessica_Dillon View Post
    Oops. I should have been more clear on this. Even if you just crossdress and have no intention of going further, you can still get a State ID en femme. It still has all your boy information on it, name, age, gender, etc. But, you can get the picture you want. If you do go out fairly often, I've seen many others do this for reasons ID's may be asked for. Anyway, that was my intention on that outting. Like I said though...still turned into a succesful shopping trip.
    Whoops, I ment to say if you have a legal femme ID you need to put your alias on the line.

Platinum Member
    Hi Jessica, When I applied for retirememt and social security that question never came up.

Orchid

Living Dead Girl Schatten Lupus's Avatar
    In some states, yes they can. And there are always at-will employment states where it is legal to fire people without any reason or warning.
    But disclose being transgender after the interview, unless you know 100% for sure that the store you are applying for will not frown upon that.

Myself, I'm hoping to time my transition so I will be full time before I graduate, and when I'm done with school and enter my career I will be legally female and won't have to worry about coming out at work.
    Gott weiß ich will kein Engel sein