Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Long Hair

Long Hair

Ever since I was a teenager, I’ve always dreamt of having very long hair. Unfortunately, due to a strict upbringing and work constraints, I’ve always had to keep my hair short...even if blessed with a full head of hair!

So, I bought a wig with long natural hair to my lower back. WOW! What a feeling...even better when I’m all dressed up. I feel so feminine and sensuous when wearing it.

But, 8 months ago, for the first time ever, I started to let my hair grow! From 1-2 inches, it's now 4 1/2 - 5 1/2 inches long. I love it! But my wife & 2 oldest kids don't....

Many of you seem to be able to let your hair grow long. How does it feel? Any pressure at work? With your family? How long do you want to let it grow?

How about those of you who must wear a wig like me. Do you also feel something special?

Can’t wait to hear from all of you!

It was somewhere last century the last time I had a haircut! I love it, but I get rude comments, to which I say: If you don't like the way I'm living, you just leave this long haired country girl alone!

Cute and Southern Fried KerryLynn's Avatar
    I have always had long hair the last time I've cut it was 3 weeks ago because of split ends but mostly I get how people love my hair. :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I am Evil Monkey..... ooops wrong panties

last time mine was 'cut' was November 1995. At shoulder length you can do lots of styling with it. When it was down at the belt, the only two options I had were down and braided. Its currently crawled up to just past bra-strap (when braided) and I pretty much still stick to braided or down. There is no pressure from the boss...since thats me. There is no client pressure since I never see them and they don't see me. When I'm on site at the clients customer, I'm very professional looking/dressed (dress slacks, top or blouse) so presentation is not in the way of what I do. You too can have long hair!

BTW...both my daughters were jealous when my hair was at my belt as neither had the patience to let it grow that long.

Jenn

Even many women don't wear their hair long anymore. The last time I looked around at work and the 40+ women in the company, my hair was longer than all but 2-3 of them.

I've been growing my hair long for over 15 years now. The only haircut I ever get it perhaps once a year when I trim a few inches from it just to even things off and get ride of split ends.

Right now, it is halfway down my back (below my bra band) when wet, but has enough natural curl that it appears shorter once it dries. I totally love having long hair. The only time it is annoying is when it is really hot (or I'm exercising) and it gets wet against my back... but I've learned to tie it up in a ponytail really high on my head when that happens to keep it off my back.

Even though I work in a really conservative place (suits and ties) I've never gotten any kind of hard time about my hair. Probably a big part of that is that I already had it when I got hired, so it was kind of 'grandfathered' in. I think that on a close reading it IS against the dress code (as are my earrings). When working, pull it all back into a ponytail but while at home I usually let it fall free, or use a few hair clips or some kind of clasp to keep it out of my eyes.
    Last edited by Cristi; 03-12-2011 at 11:23 AM.
    In a society in which it is a moral offense to be different from your neighbor your only escape is never to let them find out.
    -- Robert Heinlein

Grew up with a father that was (is) a Marine and short was the order of the day in our house. Until I left for college. Grew it out a little longer (past ears ) Cut it every so often after that because of jobs. Opened my own company 7 years ago and let it grow . Avitar is my hair now. Pony tail in guy mode, like avitar in girl mode. Wife hates it. (But after 35 years, we've learned how to "pick our battles". I don't get any comments from anyone else about it though.

This one strikes very close to home for me because other than a couple slight trims, my hair has been growing out for about 16 months now.

How does it feel? Amazing no matter how I present. In guy mode, it's a constant expression of what's in my heart. In girl mode, it's priceless to be able to either have it styled or simply go basic. Either way, I find it enhances my ability to utterly blend in with the crowd as any other woman would.

Any pressure at work? None has been apparent. I think it's fair to say people are saying WTF? and my boss probably isn't too thrilled about it, espeically because I work in a corporate business environment where conservatism in appearance rules despite the fact we can be pretty darned casual except for when we're interfacing with clients in person.

With the family? Wife has gone from a "yeah, whatever" attitude to a pretty vicious turnabout, "cut it, I don't find it (you) attractive anymore" which of course hurts pretty bad. I have obtained a moritorium until after the upcoming DLV event saying I won't even entertain the idea of cutting it before then. My parents hate it, they think it's career advancement suicide which of course worries them. My girls really like it and I get a big kick out of them brushing it for me .

How long do I want to let it grow? Another couple inches would be nice. And while I can make a little ponytail now, I need a little more length at the sides to be able to pull all the hair back without the loose wisps of hair fluttering about behind the ears. I think from a professional standpoint, a ponytail is my best bet but if I find that I must get it cut, that'll pretty much ruin that possibility. If I do cut it, I'm hoping I can do maybe 2-3 inches in the back, keep most of what I have on top and still be able to put together a feminine hairstyle.

Time will tell how this plays out. I desperately want to avoid having to go back to a wig.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Miller View Post
    Avitar is my hair now.
    Absolutely love your hair Stephanie. As gorgeous as it is inspirational!!!

And you've been with her for 35 years? What? Get together when you were 5???
    Last edited by Sara Jessica; 03-12-2011 at 11:39 AM.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

This is one of the wedge points when it comes to my mother and myself.

I have always wanted long hair, but mom insisted that every other week I have her friend cut it. And the style that it was cut I kid you not looked like a duck's butt. At first I liked it, until that term was applied. I also did not like how I would get bullied and made fun of due to my hair getting cut. (my school was a terrible place, I hated being there).

I wanted my hair to grow, and to this day do not get why we silly humans restrict the length of the hair of one sex, and not the other.

I mean, if the great maker really meant for our hair to be short, would it not then stop growing after a certain period of time? Why is it so gawd awful for a man to have long hair. The founding fathers had long hair. Some great men in history had long and beautiful hair. It makes no damned sense.

The girls I have been with prefer me to grow my hair out, the current one has unabashedly stated she finds long hair on guys to be "hot".
    Last edited by Pythos; 03-12-2011 at 12:04 PM.
    "I am not altogether on anyone's side as no one is all together on my side"
    Tree beard. Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers.

Regarding your wife not liking it, this is one of the things that tees me off. When my wife-to-be and I were dating, she had really long, straight hair that I thought was gorgeous, I've always found long hair to be very attractive. And as soon as we got serious and started talking about marriage, what did she do? Cut her hair way short in a unisex style, of course.

It seems that most women feel that a husband or boyfriend is a chauvinist if they protest their change in hair styles, but God forbid that their husband or boyfriend should want to grow their hair long and experiment a bit. That's one of those double standards that needs to die.

Carol
    Last edited by Julogden; 03-12-2011 at 02:03 PM.
    My name is Carol.

I now when I was a teenager it was considered highly rebellious for males to grow their hair out, especially where I grew up. To me though, it seems there have been great strides made in the perception of society when it comes to men with long hair. But there are still a great number of people who seem to insist on judging people by there appearance, even while knowing that that person is good and decent …
    xoxo

I'm 54 and for the first time in my life I (after years of my wife's encouragement) finally started to let it grow over 2 years ago. It was 2 years ago when I went to a stylist and asked for a page hairstyle cut. She had no problem and started right away doing it just like any other female she does. Work has not been a problem at all.

Recently I asked one of the VP's what the others thought about my having long hair. She was suprised at my question and asked why would anybody even have any issues? She said nobody has ever mentioned it to her.

So much for all the time worring about what my bosses and coworkers might have been thinking. I rarely even pull it back, unless their is wind or the job calls for it. My profile pic shows how I wear it all the time, except for the barretts.

I sure wish now I had done it years ago.
    Joni

"Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free" Bob Dylan

I had long hair for about 3 to 4 years during high school and a little bit after. I cut it once I decided to start looking for a job after I got my degree. I wish I hadn't cut it, and have been thinking about letting it grow out again. I don't remember anyone making bad comments, in fact my grandmother always said she liked my hair. She liked the thickness and the fact that it would start curling at the end after it got so long

Well, I grew up in the 80's whre long hair was the norm. I was, and still am, an 80's "hair metal" (as they call it thease days) rocker! And I am a VanHalen inspired guitar shreader. I recon this is how I get away with androgonous styles even when en-drab.
    When one looks at Steve Tyler does he come off as a man in women's cloths, or do you see him as a rock star? It's all in the atitude, and I hold him up as evidence to that. (Steve is one of "us" and make no bones about it BTW)

Quote Originally Posted by 5150 Girl View Post
    Well, I grew up in the 80's whre long hair was the norm. I was, and still am, an 80's "hair metal" (as they call it thease days) rocker! And I am a VanHalen inspired guitar shreader. I recon this is how I get away with androgonous styles even when en-drab.
    When one looks at Steve Tyler does he come off as a man in women's cloths, or do you see him as a rock star? It's all in the atitude, and I hold him up as evidence to that. (Steve is one of "us" and make no bones about it BTW)
    There is still alot of the populace that see's individuals like Steve Tyler as crossdressers using there situation as an excuse for there behavior.For instance, my Dad see's things this way ....
    xoxo

I've been letting mine grow out for over two years now with the exception of a couple of trim and style jobs to do a feminine cut and style for an outing. It is really nice to have longer hair (it's about just past my shoulders now) to have the option of skipping a wig when that is inconvenient.
    I don't work at the moment but when I did I only got one comment from the company president (and it was observational, just "oh, your hair has gotten long" and not anything judgmental). A good rule of thumb is if you have been at your job for some period of time and have a good work record most likely no one will say anything to you about breaking a dress code. If you are looking for a job or just starting one or you have rules about appearances because of dealing with the public it might be an issue.

I have been keeping my hair long for about five years. My hair was quite short, and my wife asked me to let them grow. We both like the result. And it's great when I crossdress my wife can style my own hair. It's great in drab too, people I know are used to see me like this, and sometimes other people call me madam.

Now I wouldn't want to let them cut short. One time a conventional hairdresser cut y hair more than I asked, because it "didn't look good for a guy". I remember crying after coming back home. I never came back to that hairdresser.

I'm growing my hair out now, but a friend of mine doesn't like my idea of growing it out to should length, he says he's a traditional guy, so do I grow it out of cut it?

I have just let mine grow for years... I told everybody at work that i wanted a pony tail to ride my motorcycle with... the problem with that is it flaps in the wind and gets tangled... LOL So I have to keep it covered... everyone I know seems to like it long...

Quote Originally Posted by Jen.CD View Post
    I'm growing my hair out now, but a friend of mine doesn't like my idea of growing it out to should length, he says he's a traditional guy, so do I grow it out of cut it?
    I think it matters what you think as opposed to what he thinks, but that's just my opinion and I'm fiercely independent.
    xoxo

I dunno about the older generations, but for the youth nowadays long hair on men goes unnoticed. I didn't even really think about it being weird until I read this thread.
    The ultimate woman is a man - House

im in split minds haha as per, i love short hair cos after the gym or after its been rainin or somethin u can dry your head with a paper towel, ive been cuttin myself since 17 but recently been tempted to grow it in again, my sister has lovely hair but i dont really wanna lose my "hard man" image haha

When I was in high school (Catholic HS) I was always being to told to cut my hair and I always took it the limit (got suspended once for three days). After that and before the Navy, it was to the middle of my back. 24 years later, I grew it back out again to the middle of my back but my wife hated it, had no desire for me. No one at work cared one bit, but some friends and my wife gave me a hard time. The kids loved it.

I ended getting it cut and gave the hair to Locks of Love. I'd like to grow it again, but the way things are now with my wife, it'd cause more hardship in the problems we're having.

I agree with others here about the double standard of who and who can't grow their hair long.

Raindrop, sorry to say, The "hard man image" needs to die. LOL.

By the way, I can think of no stronger men "harder just draws up too many conotations thanks to my GG, LOL), than Vikings, and Scottsmen. They have LONG ass and unkempt hair. LOL Nothing "soft" about them.
    "I am not altogether on anyone's side as no one is all together on my side"
    Tree beard. Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers.

I am a Scotsman! But times have changed, we all rock scars and shaven heads now haha

I love the whole split thing though, like ying and yang ie i dont want to throw myself off balance!

Anima and Animus

Platinum Member
    Hi Adeliade, Had I been born in the 60's instead of the early 40's I probably would have had long hair.

I would love to have shoulder length blond hair but you just can't teach an old Dog new tricks.

So I will be happy with my many wigs Especially my shoulder length blond wig.

Orchid
    Last edited by BLUE ORCHID; 03-12-2011 at 02:37 PM.