Thread: I don't use "man" when refrering to myself.

The woman inside me Kathryn Philips's Avatar

I don't use "man" when refrering to myself.

When I refer to myself in a conversation (I only CD in private), I cannot bring myself to use the word "man". I always do, and always have, used "person" instead. e.g. "I am a person who does not like watching sports..."

I don't consider myself a woman trapped in a male body but a person with a substantialy female inner self. When people who talk to me or about me in my presence and say "this man" or "this gentleman", I feel very unconfortable.

Do any of you who are neither transitioning or living 24/7 as women avoid the word "man" when talking about yourself or feel weird when called one?
    xxx
    Kathryn

Waiting for my upgrade to Female

I also never use the word man nor male when referring to myself! Also I never mark male on any papers I fill out!

That's interesting. For years I've always felt uncomfortable referring to myself as a man or hearing other refer to me as a man - I've never associated it with cross dressing or fantasizing about being a woman, i just brushed it off as me being weird, but now reading your comment it makes total sense - I can't believe I never realized it before (my subconscious obviously did).
    Hugs

Sammy
    xoxox

Wow, that's a great observation and an interesting point.

It makes sense though, since it supports the idea there are people who don't identify purely as male or female (as do the cis-genders and TSs). And it also explains why so many people here hate labels. It's hard to identify as someone who does not fit either of the genders we see around us every day.

My SO identifies as dualgender and if people think about it, I'm sure this definition would fit many folks here.
    Reine

I'm with you, Kattie. I really don't like to refer to myself as a man or hear someone else refer to me as a man either. However, I do feel that I'm almost certainly transexual, but due to all kinds of complications, I've never attempted to live full time. I came close to trying at an earlier point in life, but fate intervened. I'm still trying to get up the nerve to go about my daily business while dressed and haven't achieved that yet.
    My name is Carol.

Honestly, I feel like I've been conditioned to accept it, so I do.
    Last edited by Haley Heather; 03-15-2011 at 12:18 AM.
    xoxo

Oh my gosh,, I HATE the word man! It literly nausiates me whenever I'm forced to think of myself that way!

I know what you mean, I rarely use the m word in describing myself in guy mode. (for exemple, I just use the term "guy mode")
    But come to think of it I hardly ever refer to myself as a woman either.

Hi
    Yes, that makes SOME sense to me , But what about those of you who are tecnically "Daddy" [ or Dad ] and what about "husband " ? These are terms you earn , how do you feel you should be refered to by your loved ones.?

Obviously it will be differant for those in the closet OR do you still cringe ?

Thank You
    Presh GG

Former Member
    I'm just a Dude in a skirt and heels...

Actually, I do refer to myself as a man. Been one all my life. I actually like being a man. I just have an unusual "hobby".

Quote Originally Posted by Presh GG View Post
    Hi
    Yes, that makes SOME sense to me , But what about those of you who are tecnically "Daddy" [ or Dad ] and what about "husband " ? These are terms you earn , how do you feel you should be refered to by your loved ones.?

Thank You
    Presh GG
    I am all of the above. You're right Presh GG. Those are terms I worked hard (and still work hard) to earn. I cherish them.

If you think of the word "woman" you might think of it as a man with a womb.

Johanna

The woman inside me Kathryn Philips's Avatar
    Hi

Thank You
    Presh GG
    My daughter, who is severely disabled, cannot talk. She can sort of pronounce "Ma" and "Pa" for "Mom" and "Pop", but both sound almost exactly the same. ie she calls me "mom" unintentionally (she knows nothing about my dressing). It is in fact my wife who calls me "dad" in presence of my daughter and in this case I don't cringe. Being a dad is the only thing I sort of like as a male... But I would prefer to be a mom.

Speaking of the term "Dude", that is even worse than "man", I can't stand the word, specially if they talk about me. Although (unfortunately) I may look like one, but I am definitely not a "dude".

Now for something unrelated: Today at work I was talking with 2 female colleages in the office. I was complaning that Jim, the IT guy, is not upgrading my PC. They said that they, beause they are girls, always get Jim to do things for them quickly. One of my colleages then said "you out to be a girl to get your PC fixed sooner". I thought to myself, "yes, I definitely ought to be a girl..."
    xxx
    Kathryn

Waiting for my upgrade to Female

Interesting subject. It's never bothered me, but I guess it's just what I've gotten used to. I guess I think of myself as a man, never wanted to be something else. I just feel that I have a more effeminate personality, so sometimes I like to let it out to the surface. No other part of me could be considered effeminate though. Terms like dad and husband I wear as a badge upon my soul.

Gold Member
    I don't look at it as a problem. I feel there is parts of me on both sides of the fence. But besides that, I feel what I feel and being referred to as a man just keeps comfort levels where they should be instead of tension for me or others. And part of me is just that anyway, so it is accurate.

mini kilted chick t-girlxsophie's Avatar
    Hi
    Presh GG
    I love being reffered as "she" or "her" it does give me a warm feeling,but yeah as a Father,and step-father I feel really good when any of my kids call me Dad.And my Wife loves her "Husband" and her GF so I would never feel bad about being described as "him"

Sophie
    We look to Scotland,for all our Ideas of Civilisation-Voltaire

========================================

A woman who loves to wear beautiful clothes is like a flower.
    A man who loves to emulate these women is a special flower-a rose
    Facebook:Sophie Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Kattie Philips View Post

Do any of you who are neither transitioning or living 24/7 as women avoid the word "man" when talking about yourself or feel weird when called one?

Not even a little bit.

I work hard, play hard, scratch, belch, and drink beer, though not necessarily in that order. I'm not a woman, entertain no wishes or delusions to that effect... I just like their side of the department stores a bit better.