Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Manly and girlie determined by skirt length?

Manly and girlie determined by skirt length?

I recently went out in a very short denim skirt. During the outing, I asked for the opinions from the GG I met. Of all the comments, I received, one came most unexpected in a very amusing way.

A sweet sales assistant (kinda reluctantly, shyly) told me that my skirt is too short. It makes me manly, thus not passable. She said the denim skirt looks cute on me, but an addition of 1-2 inch to the skirt length will make me looks girlie.
    Last edited by irenetancd; 03-24-2011 at 06:47 PM.

I love you small lower body. I have thunder thighs.
    But the comment you do not took huge up top but bigger than the bottom.
    Most gg's are bigger in the lower 1/2 so a bigger skirt may round you out.
    I do love the look though.

I think you look fine. You have nice legs and do a short skirt much justice! BTW, love the boots too.

Fantastic picture! The SA told you that skirt made you look manly??? I think not, my dear.
    [SIZE="3"][/SIZE]Life is what happens while you're making other plans

Irene I think that SA was just trying to make a sale. I think you look great.

First you don't look manly, but she did have a valid point in a round about way. Though this might not apply to you, but many of us gurls tend to wear clothes that aren't age appropriate such as skirts just a little too short. That added attention invites more scrutiny. I love short skirts, but I've found that a knee length hem length is a better pick if I don't want to call attention to myself. A too short skirt will draw eyes and sometimes unspoken criticism even if the wearer is a genetic female.

So bottom line, wear what you want, but if you want to blend in.... don't wear a miniskirt, hose and spiked heels to the grocery store. That said, I'm wearing my little denim mini to the clubs!

Irene, I think you really look cute! But WPTH has a point -- there's a time and place for almost anything. I'm jealous -- my skinny legs and knobby knees just would not look good in a short skirt, so all of mine are at least mid-thigh length. Fir me, slacks or jeans look best.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Proud member of the Lacey Leigh Fan Club

Platinum Member
    Hi Irene, For what it's worth I think you look great and the SA is full of $**t.

Orchid

Hmmm. I had to look twice to figure out what the SA was talking about. Here's what I think she meant, and "manly" was probably too harsh a word, as you're anything but "manly." The very short, tight skirt seems to slightly emphasize a contrast between your shoulders and hips, making your hips to appear a little smaller in proportion. I think she's expecting a more 1:1 shoulder/hip width ratio on a GG and that's perhaps the genesis of her comment. So if the skirt were a little looser and longer, it might give the appearance of larger hips.

Cute none the less!

ChanDelle

Wow I love asians. You are beautiful.

WHATEVER! Too short or not you are a real cutie! Hugs!

Irene, she may have been jellous, I think you look fantastic. If I were younger all my skirts would be that lenght

Aspiring Member
    I have many mini skirts but can't wear them out and about as I don't look like you - also have a few years on you. However, if I were your age and looked like you, I would certainly wear those mini skirts. Some say it draws attention - YES, that is what a mini skirt does - all the guys look and so do many women. Ain't it great!
    SheriM

I think you look just fine.

The SA had a point. Short tight skirts such as the one you are wearing betrays a simple thing that many in our world have to contend with...a lack of female hips. Counter that with shoulders that are wider than most natal females and, well, you have the potential to be referred to as looking "manly".
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Quote Originally Posted by irenetancd View Post
    A sweet sales assistant (kinda reluctantly, shyly) told me that my skirt is too short. It makes me manly, thus not passable. She said the denim skirt looks cute on me, but an addition of 1-2 inch to the skirt length will make me looks girlie.
    She was quite right, because:

Quote Originally Posted by wearingtanpantyhose View Post
    but she did have a valid point in a round about way. but I've found that a knee length hem length is a better pick if I don't want to call attention to myself.
    And:

Quote Originally Posted by ChanDelle View Post
    The very short, tight skirt seems to slightly emphasize a contrast between your shoulders and hips, making your hips to appear a little smaller in proportion. I think she's expecting a more 1:1 shoulder/hip width ratio on a GG and that's perhaps the genesis of her comment. So if the skirt were a little looser and longer, it might give the appearance of larger hips.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sara Jessica View Post
    The SA had a point. Short tight skirts such as the one you are wearing betrays a simple thing that many in our world have to contend with...a lack of female hips. Counter that with shoulders that are wider than most natal females and, well, you have the potential to be referred to as looking "manly".
    It's as I've said before, very short and tight skirts are no friends to us, they actually reduce passability. Of course, to most who read and post here, a skirt can never be to short, can never be too tight, the heels can never be too high and a wig can never be too blonde.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUE ORCHID View Post
    Hi Irene, For what it's worth I think you look great and the SA is full of $**t.

Orchid
    But she would look even better if she followed the above advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiera79 View Post
    Wow I love asians.
    AHEM! That's sort of rude, don't you think? Yes Yes, I know that many of the non-asian folk here fawn over the young asian transfolk because they think they're prettier and more passable. That's cultural bias in action folks and we need to be aware of it and keep it to a minimum.

Veronica
    If you believe in it, makeup has a magic all it's own -- Sooner or Later (TV movie)
    We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be?- Marianne Williamson
    Have I also not said that "This Thing of Ours" makes some of us a bit "Barefoot in the Head"? Well, it does.

Platinum Member
    I don't know - I think the length of a skirt generally depends on the situation. I can see where a very tight skirt might not disquise slim hips. But looking at the picture, I really wouldn't have thought "male". Slim yes, but still feminine.

Deep in the Heart of Texas..okay..DFW area
    I would tend to agree with Chandelle on what the SA may have really meant. In fact, my daughter made mention of that on one (okay, all) of my outfits, think it was a dress. She recommended a skirt or dress that flared out at the hips to give a more wider hip look in contrast to my 'broad' shoulders.. Since I do love to show legs and the tightness of a dress, I had to really think about it before I could see her point of view. I need hips..lol.

As far as what is age appropriate.. Just because its short or tight, etc, wearing it should not be based on age. Mainly, it should be based on the event, surroundings, for some 'passability or go undetected' and especially your own comfortability.

So Irene, keep wearing what you want..short, tight, long or whatever skirts to show them nice legs
    Marissa

"You better look hard and look twice,
    ...is that me, baby or just a brilliant disguise?"- The Boss

First you don't look manly, but she did have a valid point in a round about way. Though this might not apply to you, but many of us gurls tend to wear clothes that aren't age appropriate such as skirts just a little too short. That added attention invites more scrutiny. I love short skirts, but I've found that a knee length hem length is a better pick if I don't want to call attention to myself. A too short skirt will draw eyes and sometimes unspoken criticism even if the wearer is a genetic female.

So bottom line, wear what you want, but if you want to blend in.... don't wear a miniskirt, hose and spiked heels to the grocery store. That said, I'm wearing my little denim mini to the clubs!
    Yes. Observe what GGs your age wear and follow their lead.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

First of all, I think you look great. I know that just about, ok, everything I wear is a little too short. And definately not age appropriate. But it's what I choose to wear. It's what make's me feel good about myself. But isn't that what we're all trying to do? Life's too short to alway's be worrying what other's think. So I don't. And neither should you. Just my opinion. Nicole

Quote Originally Posted by ChanDelle View Post
    Hmmm. I had to look twice to figure out what the SA was talking about. Here's what I think she meant, and "manly" was probably too harsh a word, as you're anything but "manly." The very short, tight skirt seems to slightly emphasize a contrast between your shoulders and hips, making your hips to appear a little smaller in proportion. I think she's expecting a more 1:1 shoulder/hip width ratio on a GG and that's perhaps the genesis of her comment. So if the skirt were a little looser and longer, it might give the appearance of larger hips.

Cute none the less!

ChanDelle
    First of all Irene, you really don't look masculine to me, you're looking quite cute and feminine.

That said, I think you're right, ChanDelle.

Most of us, even most of you petite, girly-looking young kids are a bit broader across the shoulders than across the hips, exactly the opposite of most GG's, so if you wear a tiny, tight skirt, it emphasizes that your hips are too slender for a female. Pair it with a loose-fitting top, and you then accentuate the width of your shoulders, so you're emphasizing your masculine build instead of concealing it. If you want to conceal it, go with a fuller, looser skirt and a more fitted top, and it can also help if your top is considerably darker than your skirt, as dark colors minimize, light colors emphasize.

Carol
    Last edited by Julogden; 03-18-2011 at 09:24 PM.
    My name is Carol.

i think it looks great tbh

The woman inside me Kathryn Philips's Avatar
    Irene, I wish I had a body as unmanly and lovely as yours. If I did, I would still wear longer skirts, but that's how I like them. In general, I don't get the whole mini-skirt thing, one many GGs (specially with oversized thighs) they look totally ridiculous. I also agree with the need to de-emphasize our higher shoulder-to-hip ratio though the choice of appropiate clothes.
    xxx
    Kathryn

Waiting for my upgrade to Female

...many of us gurls tend to wear clothes that aren't age appropriate such as skirts just a little too short....
    At 5' 14", they are all too short on me!
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

No you look fine, it would be a sin to hide those beautiful legs.