Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A TSA hassle when flying pretty

A TSA hassle when flying pretty

Hi everyone,

Before I begin, an apology. I’ve not been here for a while, in part due to changes in our lives (moving back to Florida from Virginia, dealing with retirement and other issues) and I just wanted to say that I’ve missed you all and keeping up with posts – there’s a lot to catch up with! During this time I’ve done the 2-day trip between DC and Ft. Pierce FL three times as “me” with a few interesting stories. I hope to post these, but suffice it to say that I probably now know each rest stop / ladies’ room on the I-95 route…

Two days ago I flew pretty (is there a 3F club? Frequent Femme Flyers?) from the Melbourne (MLB) airport to DCA (Washington National). I’ve done this before without hassle, but this time was a little different. I still underestimate the amount of time it takes me to “get myself together”, so we had a rushed drive to the airport (my wife dropped me off). Checking in was no problem, the Delta folks were great; one of the attendants may have remembered me from the last time I did this. Before going through TSA, I needed a stop at the ladies’ room to freshen up and fix any mistakes I’d made in hastily dressing. I’m very comfortable using the ladies’ loo, but this time I had a new experience. As I was fixing my wig, a lady emerged from a stall wearing only a bra and slacks . This was the first time I’d seen a woman in partial undress in the ladies’ room. I looked up and she said “Sorry, I can’t tell if my top is frontwards or backwards.” I guess I gave her a questioning look and she explained “The tags irritate me and so I remove them.” I mumbled something like “Yes, I sometimes have the same problem when they don’t put tags on tops”. At that point several other women came in and she went through the same explanation. I would have offered to help, but I anxious to get through security and get to my flight. The experience actually felt quite natural.

OK, so to the point of this post: a bit of a hassle with TSA and flying pretty. Normally going through MLB security is quick, and I had no problems the last time I flew dressed. This time there was a line both for the ID check and for screening. When I presented my passport the TSA agent looked through it several times, and asked me if I had another photo ID. I told her no, and she said “You have to have a photo ID that looks like you.” To which I replied “Ma’am, I’m a crossdresser and if you like I’d be happy to remove my wig.” (I’m sure most of the folks in line behind me were hearing this.) “I’ll have to call my supervisor.” So supervisor comes and I get the same story – “You need an ID that looks like you” -- but they let me through. Flustered a bit, I got in the wrong line, but everyone kindly helped me find the right one. I went through the scanner with no problem or pat-down, but it seemed to take forever for carryons to be scanned. Then I realized that there were two agents at each scanner, and one was doing a lot of explaining to the other. It occurred to me that this might have been a mass training session, and perhaps that was the reason for the hassle.

The rest of the flights, with the change in Atlanta, were uneventful. As usual I am more chatty when dressed, and enjoy smiling at women and getting that “female-to-female” smile back. That really seems to break the ice with other women (not to mention any compliments on what they are wearing!). I’m generally addressed as “ma’am”, so I didn’t get into any crossdressing discussions. At one point I was sitting in the ATL waiting area and the lady across from me asked “Why don’t you sit next to me and put your feet up on the footstool? It is so much more comfortable after sitting on a plane.” Thank you ma’am – you sure were right!

So, two questions for those of you who have flown pretty recently, or who may be up on the latest TSA regulations. #1 -- Were these gate agents correct in saying that your photo ID must match your appearance? If so – what do they do about clean-shaven guys who have ID’s with full beard and long hair, or women who have a completely different hairstyle in a totally different color, or women who have had their heads shaved because of cancer treatments? #2: In the event that the answer to #1 is “yes”, what does this mean for those of us who love to fly pretty? Maybe what I should do is get a Florida ID with my male name and femme photo – have any of you Floridians done this?

Thanks for any replies and did I say that it is great to be back with you all??

Hugs,

Claire
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Proud member of the Lacey Leigh Fan Club

I haven't delt with the TSA myself, but rumor has it that a local group of crossdressers are planning to do a bikini run and Jax International which should be quite interesting to see how it turns out.

Interesting indeed! At least they won't have to deal with the JAX TSA folks. I hope everyone uses sunscreen!

Hi Claire, I travel ( brab ) a fair amount and it is my understanding that your Pic on your ID is suppose to match how you look, I understand quetion #1, but the difference is the agent is seeing a woman with a mans ID. I recently aquired an ID with my femme pic and male info, I have not used it at the airport yet but hope to in the future. TX and FL are about the only places I know that allow a drivers license and a state ID.

I don't think my old photo looked very much like me, but I had no issue flying. So last month when my drivers license needed renewing, I had my hair down in the photo. I didn't have any makeup but it made the photo all the more worse, but I think it would get me through TSA if they are going to be tougher on the ID check.

Since I am flying to Chicago next friday, I will let you know how I navigated TSA.
    Michelle

I don't think they were in the right! Everyone changes there look! rather it,s on purpose or age or whatever! Unless you were dressing to inpersonate some one famous then you must of been looking like yourself! Whatever! I'll stay on the ground! Hugs! And welcome back!

terrapin station, you need to guess a little bit
    I travel a lot and to be honest I wouldn't want all that hassle. In this day and age of terrorism TSA is particularly suspicious of everyone. I say its not worth it.

Sorry if this is a bit off-topic, Claire, but when I read the question at the end of your post regarding the need for one's photo I.D. to match one's appearance exactly, I couldn't help but think of the title to one of humorist Erma Bombeck's best-sellers, which was "When You Look Like Your Passport Photo, It's Time to Go Home..."

Quote Originally Posted by Phyliss Hdson View Post
    Hi Claire, I travel ( brab ) a fair amount and it is my understanding that your Pic on your ID is suppose to match how you look, I understand quetion #1, but the difference is the agent is seeing a woman with a mans ID. I recently aquired an ID with my femme pic and male info, I have not used it at the airport yet but hope to in the future. TX and FL are about the only places I know that allow a drivers license and a state ID.
    Reportedly, Illinois recently changed their law and now allows that too.

Carol
    My name is Carol.

I flew as male to Las Vegas ( just didn't want to even think about causing any reason for TSA to have any issues....like THAT would ever happen) but I had my contacts in. The guy who checked my ID had to look several times before I said "You want me to put my glasses on?". I know they really are trying to do a good job but honestly, anyone with evil intentions isn't just going to try and get through with a wig, or contacts. Even after that I had to stand off to the side while they "verified" my image. Hey I know I don't have to tuck but geeeeez
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Quote Originally Posted by Phyliss Hdson View Post
    OK, when I get back to FL I will see about getting a femme photo ID.

Quote Originally Posted by AKAMichelle View Post
    I don't think my old photo looked very much like me, but I had no issue flying. So last month when my drivers license needed renewing, I had my hair down in the photo. I didn't have any makeup but it made the photo all the more worse, but I think it would get me through TSA if they are going to be tougher on the ID check.

Since I am flying to Chicago next friday, I will let you know how I navigated TSA.
    Hope the trip goes well! I plan to fly back to FL tomorrow dressed, and I'm going to leave enough time so that if I am hassled, I can change my appearance enough to get me through. Maybe DCA will be more enlightened than MLB!

Quote Originally Posted by Cynthia Anne View Post
    I don't think they were in the right! Everyone changes there look! rather it,s on purpose or age or whatever! Unless you were dressing to inpersonate some one famous then you must of been looking like yourself! Whatever! I'll stay on the ground! Hugs! And welcome back!
    Thanks, I'm wondering why I've been away! (Part of it is that we've been very busy.) Now, I have to decide who I looked like; I've always fancied Meryl Streep.

Quote Originally Posted by darla_g View Post
    I travel a lot and to be honest I wouldn't want all that hassle. In this day and age of terrorism TSA is particularly suspicious of everyone. I say its not worth it.
    Maybe you're right, but I will give it another try (see above).

Quote Originally Posted by Leslie Langford View Post
    Sorry if this is a bit off-topic, Claire, but when I read the question at the end of your post regarding the need for one's photo I.D. to match one's appearance exactly, I couldn't help but think of the title to one of humorist Erma Bombeck's best-sellers, which was "When You Look Like Your Passport Photo, It's Time to Go Home..."
    Wonderful!

Quote Originally Posted by Lorileah View Post
    I flew as male to Las Vegas ( just didn't want to even think about causing any reason for TSA to have any issues....like THAT would ever happen) but I had my contacts in. The guy who checked my ID had to look several times before I said "You want me to put my glasses on?". I know they really are trying to do a good job but honestly, anyone with evil intentions isn't just going to try and get through with a wig, or contacts. Even after that I had to stand off to the side while they "verified" my image. Hey I know I don't have to tuck but geeeeez
    So just not wearing glasses made the difference? Lorileah, I wonder how many others have had similar experiences.

The National Center for Transgender Equality haad an article recently about travelling en femme and how to deal with the TSA. I don't think your ID needs to match your gender expression. The features in your face can be used to reference your ID to you. The supervisor should have acknowledged this and if they don't then get their supervisor. Someone in TSA has the smarts to know what their own policy is and how it relates to TG travellers. The article even goes on to talk about requesting private secondary screening with the agent of your gender choice away from other travellers.

http://transequality.org/Issues/travel.html

The following sentence was copied right from a page on their site.

If you encounter difficulties at the airport because of your perceived gender expression or transgender status, please contact NCTE at 202-903-0112 so that we can work with the TSA to prevent the problem for occurring in the future

Christy,

Thanks for this. Unless TSA has changed their policy, there should be no reason that you have to look like your photo ID. I will keep track of that number.

Some of us in Florida have our ID cards with girl pic for that reason.It easily confirms your different appearance when questioned. When they do your ID pic,they usually try to match the exact head position in your DL pic. That is what Talahassee has instructed them to do[so they said]. Your ID pic becomes the last "picture on record" for you! That makes getting stopped a lot more fun...a few extra questions sometimes...never got a ticket with a girl pic...went easy on me..each time! lol

The sad part is all this TSA silliness does absolutely nothing to prevent anything aside from someone taking a bottle of water they have been drinking from onto a plane. I have taken electronic equipment that was custom made for audio servicing on board in carry-on and cargo and was never asked about it. On X-ray, it looks suspicious as it has cylindrical metal canisters with lots of wiring and assorted other not so common paraphenalia.

Most of these TSA folks could not get hired as Wal-mart greeters.

Addicted To Lipstick donnatracey's Avatar
    I think that was rather an unkind thing to say about TSA folks. They have a far more vital job and under go training that I suspect is more "arduous" than what a potential Walmart greeter goes through. From what I can tell, all you have to do for the Walmart job is be able to breath, stand up and occasionally acknowledge customers. But what do I know?.............

Yikes....some of you are clueless about what the TSA has done to people. The TSA treats people like prisoners. Basically some are suing because of being sexually assaulted. I can't see how thats doing a good job. They have gotten caught stealing money and other things.
    Last edited by Super Stacey; 03-19-2011 at 01:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by darla_g View Post
    In this day and age of terrorism TSA is particularly suspicious of everyone.
    You mean, in this day and age of fearmongering for the purpose of controlling the populace. Haven't you ever read Orwell's 1984?

Quote Originally Posted by donnatracey View Post
    I think that was rather an unkind thing to say about TSA folks. They have a far more vital job and under go training that I suspect is more "arduous" than what a potential Walmart greeter goes through.

You're funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Stacey View Post
    Yikes....some of you are clueless about what the TSA has done to people. The TSA treats people like prisoners.
    And that, right there, is about as close as anyone in this thread has gotten to the truth.

I find it disturbing that anyone -- anyone! -- on a forum that leans toward fashion freedom seems not the least concerned about actual freedom.

Actual freedom does NOT mean having the right to be blasted with radiation, or have your junk groped. Freedom is not safety. Freedom can be dangerous, and that's the way it's supposed to be.

How or why anyone tolerates the nonsense that is the "War on Terror" is beyond me.

I seem to remember a Dubya speech that went something like "they hate our freedom." They attack because they "hate our freedom."

That very president created the TSA that took away your freedom. So who won? And who really attacked your freedom?

It's well past 1984, folks. Wake up, put on your big girl panties, and do something about it.

Quote Originally Posted by rogina garter View Post
    Some of us in Florida have our ID cards with girl pic for that reason.It easily confirms your different appearance when questioned. When they do your ID pic,they usually try to match the exact head position in your DL pic. That is what Talahassee has instructed them to do[so they said]. Your ID pic becomes the last "picture on record" for you! That makes getting stopped a lot more fun...a few extra questions sometimes...never got a ticket with a girl pic...went easy on me..each time! lol
    Hi Rogina -- Thanks, just the answer I was looking for! So after my next trip (all business with no dressing) I'm going to the local DL center and get my pretty (??) self on an ID.

Quote Originally Posted by Christinedreamer View Post
    The sad part is all this TSA silliness does absolutely nothing to prevent anything aside from someone taking a bottle of water they have been drinking from onto a plane. I have taken electronic equipment that was custom made for audio servicing on board in carry-on and cargo and was never asked about it. On X-ray, it looks suspicious as it has cylindrical metal canisters with lots of wiring and assorted other not so common paraphenalia.

Most of these TSA folks could not get hired as Wal-mart greeters.
    Quote Originally Posted by donnatracey View Post
    I think that was rather an unkind thing to say about TSA folks. They have a far more vital job and under go training that I suspect is more "arduous" than what a potential Walmart greeter goes through. From what I can tell, all you have to do for the Walmart job is be able to breath, stand up and occasionally acknowledge customers. But what do I know?.............
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Stacey View Post
    Yikes....some of you are clueless about what the TSA has done to people. The TSA treats people like prisoners. Basically some are suing because of being sexually assaulted. I can't see how thats doing a good job. They have gotten caught stealing money and other things.
    Well, I appreciate the latter views, but we have had other discussions about the role / need for / appropriateness of TSA at airports, and at least in my mind these discussions raise questions above and beyond TG and CD issues that we deal with here. For my part I'm willing to put up with the hassles and any less-than-competent TSA personnel (in my experience, they have been professional and courteous) if it means that just one flight will make it through safely.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire Cook View Post
    Hi Rogina -- Thanks, just the answer I was looking for! So after my next trip (all business with no dressing) I'm going to the local DL center and get my pretty (??) self on an ID.
    Are you allowed to get more than one Id for the same driving licence?

Gold Member
    Quote Originally Posted by houney View Post
    Are you allowed to get more than one Id for the same driving license?
    You can get a State Issued ID from the drivers license office that show your information,
    but is not a drivers license.

ON a different subject:
    At my legion Post the other day, one of my members was telling us a story of his wife flying
    home from an east coast city. Went to visit a sister who was Ill.
    When she got to security, and went through the X Ray machine, she was told to remove her
    Brest forms. She had a Mastomicaty about a year ago. She was so embarrassed, doing it in front of
    a line of people instead of a female person behind a screen. The male TA said remove them or leave.
    I think that a 60+ year old grandma does not fit the profile of a tarriest. When are these TA people
    going to lighten up or at least be more discreet. And you can not sue them, and they know it.
    It is their way or the highway, or even jail.
    I think Mrs. O' Bahama should go through the same thing, I bet the law would change overnight.
    Rader

I hear that new body scanners have no privacy. I might be wrong though.
    It would be embarrassing if other could get a glimpse of the body scan.

Has anyone received the state ID here in Florida recently? I was told (don't remember by who now) that after the end of last year you could no longer get the FL state ID with your fem picture on it. This was all supposed to be as result of the new enhanced driver's license requirements. Love to hear from anyone who may have some direct knowledge!

Quote Originally Posted by LeeBe View Post
    Has anyone received the state ID here in Florida recently? I was told (don't remember by who now) that after the end of last year you could no longer get the FL state ID with your fem picture on it. This was all supposed to be as result of the new enhanced driver's license requirements. Love to hear from anyone who may have some direct knowledge!
    I'm in the process of getting an ID now and it is only the name and sex on the birth certificate. There some chatter about an official Florida State Transgender ID Card, but nothing official that I can find has been started on it yet.
    Last edited by christinac; 03-19-2011 at 11:28 AM. Reason: forgot some info.

Professional Socialite
    Ive been with TSA since for years and your ID can be different there is a course we take to learn to match facial features, mouth, eyes the shape distance to verify the person, so many people dye their hair go bald features change and they should have been able to tell it was you. You do not need a different ID what it sounds like was really bad customer service and I would HIGHLY recommend you call the line that was given earlier. That is usually the only was items get addressed in TSA and I would love to see us get more training in this area and them do more to address the problem. You should NEVER be asked to remove breast forms! that is totally appalling! I have never seen it done in my airport but heard on boards of it happening. Ask to speak to a manager not a supervisor if you get harassed at all. The new imaging machines images dont show alot and you cant make out any features, basically everyone looks like a big ET alien and the people have to stay in the room and cant leave until anyone that passed thru it are gone.
    To Thine Own Self Be True - Hamlet and Reba :>
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]