Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Resturants/Resturants Part II

Resturants/Resturants Part II

I was out this AM buying groceries and going to Sally's Beauty World. I was thinking about breakfast (7 AM) and I did buy a single diet donut at the supermarket but here is my question-- What resturants are CD friendly? I have been out for lunch at Applebee's and also at Macaroni Grill but I'm asking about others. I know about Hamberger Mary's and have been there too (but it was 60 miles to that eatery).

So, what about CoCo's, Dennys, Ihop? I have done the drive through meals at fast food but I have nice clothes and I sure would like to avoid grease stains (also in the interior).

As I drove by the afore mentioned chains and the mom and pop's, I noticed how there was so little business at most of these places. Either it was too early or folks are going to work and do not have time or ate at home (I guess). Anyway, I'd appreciate some opinions as I value your input.
    Last edited by Sandra; 03-21-2011 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Title updated due to threads being merged
    joank
    Southern California

Platinum Member
    good question. I don't know about chains, but there are some great local restarurants in Houston that appear to be TG / CD friendly.

Gold Member
    A diet donut?????

I would think that with these chains, you just have to try them. Everybody wants your money, so that probably is a driving force. But these types of places aren't going to be like a retail clothing chain that may push diversity and acceptance. Employees come and go at these places, so I wouldn't think they are there long enough to get a lot of training.

I go to a Village Inn (like IHOP, Denny's) all the time without a problem. Caught the cook peeking around the corner once, but he didn't do it again since he probably wasn't prepared for me to be just a few feet away and face to face with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue View Post
    A diet donut?????
    I was wondering the same thing. An oxymoron.
    -Sedona

If you present properly and exude confidence,ANY restaurant will enjoy having you.Don't be afraid to go anywhere.

I too am in aw of the diet donut!

I have noticed that T.G.I.F.'s seem to be rather 'alternative' friendly, but it's probably not much different than applbees and macoroni grill 'cept the atmosphere ... I don't know, I can't think any more, except about the diet donut. lol
    xoxo

The diet donut is a fond figment of my immagination. When I was under 40 I could eat them endlessly but alass, no more. I am the donut aficianado in my generic group.

Thanks to all responders. I supose money does talk and Sue has a great point about not much diversity training in food service jobs. In California I think presentation is somewhat protected. I'm thinking about an early breafast Sunday dressed to the nines (church) or Monday in business attire.

We will see what we will see.
    joank
    Southern California

Hi Joank, I have eaten at several chain restraunts and some mom and pops and have never had problems. They want your money just as much as anyone elses. Denneys IHOP and Waffle house, I have found WAffle House to be a bit more freindly. As well as some of the others U mentioned I have been to Outback, Redlobster, and others.

I have a feeling that the staff at most restaurants have pretty much seen it all. You may catch a few folks "peeking" but they are unlikely to cause any problems. Leave a generous tip and build some goodwill!
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

I say try 'em all! They will like your money! If it's green! I have been to so many, I have lost count! They always smile when they see the green stuff!

the happy camper
    There's a place called Ray's Steel City in Tallahassee where we go after our TG meetings. They were very pleasant. I was told that a waiter once sir'd one of the girls there, and ended up apologizing all over himself and giving them free stuff.

We've been to Outback, Applebees, T.G.I.Fridays, diners and chinese buffets and never had a problem.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

I would worry about other patrons before the owners. You know how some people could get. Especially in numbers.
    Life's too short to not do the things that make you happy.

I go out to resturants in full fem quite frequently in the Dallas area, both chains and independently owned. On the Border, Macaroni Grill, Texas Land & Cattle, Arby's, Nana Grill (bar for drinks), Jack up your Crack, Denny's, What-A Burger, Gehngris Grill, various Chineese buffets and other mexican food establishments, or pretty much anywhere I have a notion to go satisfy my hunger's desire. I've never had any problems, and often get more and better attention. My thoughts are walk in like you own the place and expect to be treated as any other lady in the establishment. Don't do anything unseemly or that would otherwise offend other patrons and you should have no problems. I do try to avoid trucker and biker establishments though. The World is our Oyster, mmmmmmmmm......... so eat it.
    Bon Appetite!

I am 6'3 and go anywhere anytime. Never had problem. If you present properly and exude confidence,ANY restaurant will enjoy having you.Don't be afraid to go anywhere.

I have learned that anywhere I may go to dine out, I expect to be treated well rather than be pleasantly surprised if I am.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Quote Originally Posted by Sara Jessica View Post
    I have learned that anywhere I may go to dine out, I expect to be treated well rather than be pleasantly surprised if I am.
    I agree, I'm not afraid to get up and leave if I don't feel welcomed, even if I've already ordered!
    xoxo

I have been in numerous restaurants of all types and varieties and never have encountered a problem. You may get an initial look or two, but that is about it. It really comes down to the specific individuals in the restaurants whether it is the wait staff or patrons. Most of the time it will be other customers who make a comment or cause a little scene. Just walk in like you belong there and there is nothing wrong. You may be surprised about how many people just don't care or notice. To the best of my knowledge, there are no chain restaurants that are specifically and universally known as being tg-friendly or hostile.

All has been said above. Be yourself, be confident, walk into any restaurant or other place that you want, especially in California, like you belong there. Self confidence really makes it happen. With that kind of positive attitude you can go anywhere that you would go in your "other" mode. Go for it and enjoy life as it was meant to be enjoyed.

Quote Originally Posted by joank View Post
    I did buy a single diet donut at the supermarket
    Oh, those are the BEST! But the hole is way too big.

We ate a lovely restaurant last night with no issues. Restaurants are not in the food business, they are in the hospitality business. If they fail to treat anyone (not just TG folks) with respect I will complain to the manager on my way out, and if he or she is less than interested in my complaint the restaurant chain (if it is a chain) will hear about it too.

So far this has not had to happen.
    I've gone to find myself. If I should return before I get back keep me here to wait for me so I don't go back out and miss myself when I return.

I have dined out more times than I can count. I have found that the more upscale the restaurant, the better the experience. I stay away from ma & pa diners and low end restaurants. It is the other clientelle that can give you issues. The secret is to dress properly for the venue and exude confidence. Be polite and be sure to smile. Also, be sure to tip well for great service.

Jodi

I dress to feel pretty Tina P Hose's Avatar
    In my part of Missouri atleast,some jerk would start stuff. But maybe not, but maybe. That is why I stay home. I would be happy to fix dinner here, just give me a week to get the house clean.
    From Madrid to Montreal that underneath it all that Tina prefers pantyhose

I think of all the resturants we have been Marie Calandars takes the cake for being welcoming and warm.

Once a long time ago, Tea and I went to MC's for dinner when the young lady said to Tea ," You really had me !! " When the manager overheard her it was free pie all around.

Memory lane
    Presh

Silver Member
    If you have a local TG support group, ask them where they go to eat together. The groups I have been involved with often went to dinner after a meeting or such where we are known and are welcomed.

It is unlikely a chain restaurant would refuse you service or anything, certainly by corporate policy, they don't want the grief that comes with bad press or the threat of a lawsuit. (Just watch the restroom situation if you need to use the facilities, family style restaurants often have small children in the ladies room etc.)

Well, I went out for breakfast this morning. Yep, I hitched up my panti-hose, did my make up to the best of my ablities and off I went. I chose to go to MiMi's which is a kinda up scale resturant chain which does family but it would be somewhat 'pricey.' I did a Sunday cause at 7 AM very few are going to breakfast and I had the place almost to myself (three other customers). I walked in and was greeted very enthusiasticly by the waitress/server. She saw me looking at the local paper on the desk and asked if I would like to look at it, which I did. The meal was done nicely and too much to eat (eggs and hot cakes). We had a nice conversation about weather and other plesantries. It was a non-event but it was nice to get this hump done.

BTW, I was 'church dressed' for my age with a brown skirt, Cami and shirt, the aforemention hose and 3 1/2" heels. I also wore a rain coat in preperation for the coming storm.

After breakfast I (gulp) went to Lowe's cause I needed to purchase some pipe insulaltiom (not tg related). Imagine walking down the isles of Lowe's to those high heels looking for an item that I'm not sure is on display. I found plumbing and my items and off to the checkout. I said to the SA that I almost thought I was sent on a fool's errand.

Anyway, it was a nice few hours out. I was going to Target or K-mart but I don't need anything and so no go. I wanted to go to JoAnn's Fabrocs but the store open on Sunday hours and the wait would have been to long cause I wanted to get home and write this up for you all.

Thank you for you all your comments, input and support.
    joank
    Southern California