Thread: "I thought you were a girl."

"I thought you were a girl."

I had barely walked in the door, at a singles dance party. My coat and outside shoes were still on.

A woman approached me, and without so much as a hello, she got right in my face, "I thought you were a girl."

"You got that wrong," I replied. "I'm just a guy in a skirt."

Now, you folks decide. I recently had a much shorter haircut. I was wearing a leather jacket, a short denim mini, and black tights. Nice manicure with sparkle. Silver hoop earrings.

Was I provoking the gender police? Was anyone really confused about my identity? Or was she just looking for trouble?

I danced with this woman, bot only once. Then some other women wanted to dance, so I was occupied for the evening.

This goes along the vein of the styles of clothing.

She thought you were a girl based on the skirt and tights.

Actually get a pic of yourself in the outfit, cause descriptions can often fall short.
    "I am not altogether on anyone's side as no one is all together on my side"
    Tree beard. Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers.

Of course if at first we all look for that initial impression --- click, click whirr whirr mind on alert. hoop earings, leggings, hair make up --- yes we all will compute = female untill further inspection = doesn't mean rejection, disapproval or condemation, Oh look at you -- nice to see a verience of the norm

Why worry about it? Obviously you look wonderful as you are.... take life as it comes and make the most of it. I would kill to be mistaken for a GG, but even if I never am, I am secure enough in my self to enjoy what I have to offer and live life for me!

Debra, was that just a Knight Rider reference?

But yeah, she saw your clothes, and judged from a distance (in what I think would have been a moderately lit room at best) that you were a somewhat androgynous woman. It wasn't until she got closer and realized that you were really a man that she had reason to say anything. I take it she took you not being a woman well.
    I'm a guy who likes girls, I just like a little more about them than the average guy.

Platinum Member
    I guess from behind, I might have taken you for a girl, regardless of the hair cut. Lots of women have very short haircuts. In combinantion with the silver hoops, skirt, tights...I'd say girl. Sounds like an interesting singles group!

There are certain physical aspects people see as naturally feminine -- hair length, apparel, jewelry etc. When I used to work in retail, I got called miss and ma'am A LOT. I was making no effort whatsoever to appear female, wearing plain blue jeans, a solid color t-shirt and sneakers. I often wore my hair down and shaved every morning, so from behind most people just assumed I was a girl.

Since most people who dress as you describe identify as woman/girl, so it's not surprising that she assumed that you were a girl. I don't see how her behavior could be seen as looking for trouble.

Carol
    My name is Carol.

Silver Member
    Regardless of what she though you were, getting up in your face like that without so much as a 'hello' shows she had a bad attitude to begin with.

Banned Read only
    We used to have a CD come to our singles dance regularly. Nobody bothered her. She actually looked pretty good, except for the Alice Cooper eyes. Some of the guys knew she was a CD, and would dare each other to dance with her. Sometimes she would just dance by herself. One night, one guy who didn't know she was a CD asked her to dance. About half way through the song, he walked off the dance floor with a red face. The other guys never let him live it down. I also overheard some of the women talking about "that man dressed as a woman".