Thread: Changing you male name

Come and talk with me ;) Briana90802's Avatar

Changing you male name

Straight to the point, do you, or have you, ever wanted to change you male name to something more gender neutral? And what would it be? Growing up I loved the names Leslie and Stacy for a boy. both are gender neutral and yet have become associated with girls.

The thought crossed my mind on a few occassions but I am named after my father so it would have caused serious waves. I chose Danielle because that is what my mother would have named me if I had been born a girl.
    I'M FREE, I'M FREE! I GET TO BE ME!

I have never really thought about changing my name. I could certainly understand why someone would but it never really been a consideration for me.
    New facebook page feel free to add me as a friend. http://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn...00003349942987

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    I've gone back and forth on this. I have spent periods of time searching through name information trying to find one that I like and that suits me.

There aren't any female derivations of my name, so if for example I call for a taxi when I am Dressed, unless I give a completely different name than my legal name, the driver is going to automatically be looking for a male and so is going to interpret me as male in any aspect for which I might be borderline or ambiguous gender.

It isn't that I am trying to "hide" that I am transgender, but with my male-only name, people's attention gets focused on the male side of me.

I've been considering maybe changing my name to Sandy, as that is used by both males and females, but then I get to thinking that if I'm going to go through the trouble of changing it I might as well go right to Sandra and then let people call me Sandy if they prefer. Well, except for (A) my mother; and (B) that Sandy might be better for job purposes. Somehow "Sandy" instead of "Sandra" seems like "cheating" for who I am.

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar
    Simply, no. I want my gendered selves as separate as possible.

Hi i agree with your desire to keep your gendered self separete from your male identity name . My reason for doing the same thing was because i was asked the reason why i was still using a male name in my profile . This came from one of the people who read my introduction to this site so i immediatly changed it to my female name and was congratulated for my choice .Ifelt a lot better having taken this step and have never looked back. davina x
    davina

Too much paperwork for what end? I had a hard enough time as it was convincing the Social Security Admin I wasn't a female... Long story.
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Aspiring Member
    My male name is Lee. I dress and act androgynous and my hair is styled fem all the time. I dressed fem and wore makeup for my last DL picture a few years ago. I write checks while shopping en fem and show my DL to the SAs. They never notice the small print "male". They just see my pretty picture and write down the DL number. Our checks are printed with my and my wife's data on the front. Usually they draw a line under my wife's info instead of mine. Yes, It's quite nice to have a unisex name. Leanne

Very Infrequent Visitor KimMcNelis's Avatar
    My given name is Kimberley, so I've never had this choice. In fact, my choice was whether to go with a more masculine/guy's name. I tried that, in college... it didn't work. I was already 'Kim' to everyone, including me. I still get raised eyebrows, constant "please confirm it's really you" from providers, mail to "Ms. Kimberley..." etc. However, it's OK. I like my given name, and it works well with my transgenderedness. Of course, maybe it's part of the reason I'm trans, or maybe not... After all, "What's in a name? A rose by any other name..." ;-)

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Briana90802 View Post
    Straight to the point, do you, or have you, ever wanted to change you male name to something more gender neutral?
    Sorry, no. I have finally given up the fight against who I am, why would I want to start another skirmish by adopting a name that hides my true gender?

I appreciate that this will not be the same for everybody.
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

I, too, have a male name that can be either male or female and it has not been easy much of the time; especially, when I was younger and struggling to accept my being a CD.
    Hugs, Carole

I was named after my dad which makes me junior, and my second son is named after me so I wouldn't want to change to a gender neutral name although I've always liked the name Kelly which can be male or female. When I decided on my femme name all I had to do was change the first letter from a b to a j.
    Luv and Jill

Straight, into Fantasy Land

No can't say I have! But then I have always wanted to change my name from c****** to Cynthia! Hugs!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post
    Too much paperwork for what end? I had a hard enough time as it was convincing the Social Security Admin I wasn't a female... Long story.
    I must agree here, no i have not had any trouble with any goverment buracrat. but i have had trouble with a credit reporting company and this was just for the male self. no need to add a femail (even a nutral) name change to really mess things up.

and better to keep Loni and ***** apart.

Loni

If you mean legally, I don't see the point. All that time, money and effort spent which basically changes nothing.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

My male name is Lee, so it is pretty easy for me

I have never really thought about changing my male name to something gender neutral legally. For me it would probably too much of a hassle to do it in the long run.