Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Crossdressing an Art Form?

Is Crossdressing an Art Form?

Quote Originally Posted by New Oxford American Dictionary
    art - the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture, producing works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power
    I was thinking about this recently: could crossdressing be considered an art form?

Think about it - using the male body as a canvas, we strive to create what we consider the most beautiful woman in the world. Plus, with the definition above (copypasta'd from my Mac), how could it NOT be considered art? It's clearly the expression of creative skill and imagination, and we want to be appreciated for our beauty, and in some cases, the emotional power.

What if, deep down, crossdressers just want to use themselves as a canvas to create a woman that's a work of art? What do you think about this?

I like the idea. I remember from one thread that we have a lot of musicians. I wonder how many of us are artists?

Well, when I discussed this with my mom last night, she said something along the lines of "Well artists do have that free-spirit and are less inclined to adhere to social norms, so I'm sure quite a few crossdressers are artists." Makes sense to me.

I do happen to be a musician, by the way.
    Last edited by VioletJourney; 03-31-2011 at 02:40 AM.

Well, if I could measure the quality of the artwork by the size of the smile on my face when finished transforming myself, then I could easily classify myself as a Louvre quality piece of modern art, especially when compared to the rough canvas that I started with!

When I sit at the make-up counter I think of a quote by Marc Chagall : "Great art picks up where nature ends."
    Then I realize I'm not really an artist and another comes to mind: "You can't make silk from a sows ear"
    But who cares.... It's still fun and it's still me

Yes, for me cding has developed into an art form over the years. After all, the ability to transform a male image to a female one requires a certain degree of skill and techique. Of course, art is in the eyes of the beholder, and not everybody appreciates this type of art form, but for those of us who have the need to express ourselves as the opposite gender the artful execution of this transformation can be crucial especially for those of us who fully present as female when we dress.
    I know a lot of TGs and there are some who do a remarkable job at transformation, and most of it is attributable to their artistic skill.

I consider it the art of illusion myself.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

I think Denise hit the nail on the head here...the art of illusion.
    [SIZE="3"][/SIZE]Life is what happens while you're making other plans

But so is stylists for clothes, makeup, deportment, hairstyle, personal grooming, manners and so on so yes, crossdressing MtF or FtM is the physical transferrance of what is within your mind to the physical appearance of your ideas. Your ideas maybe influenced by your surroundings, emotions, desires and the act in crossdressing reveals your production to those who are lucky to see your creativity, isn't that fashion?

OH most definitely. It is a form of living art. The transformation that takes place is stunning.
    "I am not altogether on anyone's side as no one is all together on my side"
    Tree beard. Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers.

It has been said "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" and I believe the same holds true for art. Crossdressing as an art form can be a benchmark in the beauty we strive for. I have never considered myself as beautiful by any stretch of the imagination but when I dress and see myself in the mirror, I can see the outward beauty of the feminine form.
    Luv and Jill

Straight, into Fantasy Land

i would say most crossdressers don't consider it a form of art. just like most girls that use makeup don't consider it a form of art.

"producing works to be appreciated" - Most crossdressers dress for themselves and not really for others to appreciate.

it is what you want it to be.

yes i think so that art from that we also wok on to inpove our salf on all the time

Absolutely...we're trying to "create" a female...illusion or otherwise...what we're trying to do is create a female "look" or image...so it's not just with the make up but the whole person from head to toe isn't it???...and once that's done don't we try and take on the female characterists and mannerisms???

It can be said we're trying to make the illusion as Denise said...but I think it's more than just that...we're transforming and in that process to do it well does become somewhat of artistic endeavor...so yes, I'd say crossdressing is an artform if it's done properly and well...which isn't always the case...nor is it done always for that reason...but hey what the hell do I know anyway????
    Discovering the female self aka "Bitch with an Attitude"

No, I don't think crossdressing is primarily an art form. We don't crossdress for artistic reasons. We're drven by other reasons. However, as with many other endeavors, we can take it to an art form. Like an expert fly fisherman gently setting a fly into a difficult-to-reach pocket- it's more than catching fish. Or a master chef turning a radish into a beautiful rose - it's more than just food.

Complex Lolita...
    Quote Originally Posted by VioletJourney
    I was thinking about this recently: could crossdressing be considered an art form?
    Think about it - using the male body as a canvas, we strive to create what we consider the most beautiful woman in the world. Plus, with the definition above (copypasta'd from my Mac), how could it NOT be considered art? It's clearly the expression of creative skill and imagination, and we want to be appreciated for our beauty, and in some cases, the emotional power.
    What if, deep down, crossdressers just want to use themselves as a canvas to create a woman that's a work of art? What do you think about this?
    [SIZE="2"]As a matter of fact, I AM a work of art, as opposed to a “piece of work,” and I’m quite smug about it. I created my masterpiece with found materials over the course of many years. I began one day with a simple outline, filled it in with the appropriate tones and colors, and then went about embellishing myself until I was satisfied. Unfortunately, my initial euphoria was short-lived, so I went back to the beginning and tried again – I’ve painted many, many versions of myself on this blank human canvas, indeed not to do so would be a tragic case of missed opportunities, not to mention unfulfilled pleasure. It is my private artwork, this person I create, and I keep it near and dear, away from the critics who would destroy the magic I feel…

I would say that crossdressing CAN be an art form, but probably isn’t for the vast majority of participants. Crossdressing as an end in itself is certainly ART, as you have so eloquently stated, but I wonder how many would be put off by this notion? Maybe a visual artist like myself has less difficulty with the idea of MtF crossdressing, simply because I know it is an expression of my innate sensibilities. If I feel it, it has to come out – since the painter paints what he or she wishes to see, and the writer needs to write about what he or she has experienced, it follows that the crossdresser dresses to express what is otherwise held inside. To do so may be nothing more than a foregone conclusion, and it certainly qualifies as ART, my dear…
    [/SIZE]

I would never us the phrase "the most beautiful woman" ( or t-girl ) to refer to myself. That aside, yes it is artwork to soften & feminize a male face. Ask some ( not all ) GG's advice about make-up, you might end up looking like a GUY with make-up. Things like beard-shadow aren't in their experience.
    [SIZE="3"]Gender is a state of mind[/SIZE]
    LGBTQ PRIDE
    As of Oct. 5th, go here to see my pics:http://www.flickr.com/people/fab_karen/
    A Yankee Doodle T-Girl
    proud of my President

Gold Member
    I would definitely agree that, for me at least, I consider dressing, especially for a photo shoot, to be a form of artistic self expression. If I can accomplish the look with no Photoshopping afterwards, I'm happy!!

Of course, there is a significant "craft" aspect to crossdressing. Design, color, fashion, makeup, hair and choosing and/or constructing various bits of body shaping garments are all aspects of this art. Some are, in fact, attracted to dressing simply because it is, like other forms of theatre, an outlet to display their skill at these crafts. Others, of course, take it further, considering it a lifestyle, deep identity, or beyond -- and you get to choose where you wish to settle on that spectrum!

I know one very beautiful, talented, gay (if that matters) CD who is totally into the "illusion" aspect and enjoys dressing up to show off her skills, but would never consider dressing full time or doing anything permanent to modify her appearance. (She did finally get her ears pierced, but it took years of persuading.) On the other hand, I am probably less skilled at the technical amd aesthetic side -- although I am learning -- but am anxious to pursue anything that will make me look like a woman full-time. I will probably stop only just short of full SRS.

I am involved in many hobbies and job skills that have an aspect of "craftsmanship" and truly enjoy making things, and taking the time to learn how to do it and exercise my skills as patiently and completely as possible. My wardrobe and appearance are no exception.

- Diane

Quote Originally Posted by VioletJourney View Post
    ?
    Not the way I do it!!! <g>

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar
    I think the way I do it now would definitely not be considered an art form. Although I do try to dress very nicely, in stylish clothes, not wearing a wig or makeup does not contribute much!! When my late wife fixed my wig and did my makeup, I really was a work of art............HERS!! Stephanie really looked like a GG!!! Now I am just a guy who wears feminine clothing!! And I love doing it!!
    Stephanie

Lady on the outside, but man underneath!

one of my favorite CDs, and a (now former??) member of this site, Andrea (now Alexandra on Flickr) takes CDing to an artform. She's an artist, and her best photos always had an artistic quality about them.
    <sigh> She's taking a break at the moment, so nothing new from her at this time....

Do we mimic, attempt to duplicate and emulate the best in GG’s ? .. Yes, many of us do. Some portion of cross-dressing is exactly that. We do strive to emulate that which we admire.
    An art form ? - The art of illusion ? In many instances, yes, most definitely.

I'm artistic & creative.
    The only reason I crossdress is because I let my fem side become me. This is me as a woman. I literlly play both sides.
    I'm a girl, and I'm a guy.
    I go out en femme at any place/ any time.

No cross-dressing, in and of itself, can not be considered art. However, there are many of us who do make it an atrform.