Thread: Houston is a great place for CDs, & I'm having a great day!

Houston is a great place for CDs, & I'm having a great day!

Lunch with the guys, in girl's jeans & trainers, guy sport coat covered my somewhat bulging bra. No one noticed, everyone was glad to see me back after surgery (successful prostatectomy). Then Starbucks for coffee & email, carrying my American Eagle canvas purse, which is just big enough for my laptop. Changed into Anne Klein brown pencil skirt, red girl's polo (St John's Bay from Penney's), Rain Forest Native bead necklace, 3-tone brown leather American Eagle flats--good color match to the purse. Have shaved my legs smooth as silk (almost) for this warm weather, but of course didn't shave the handlebar mustache, because I've had it nearly 4 decades and I can't get it back overnight.

Then shopping at my favorite place, Act II Resale boutique, Stella Link & Braeswood. The owner greeted me warmly, noting that it has been a while. I tried on beacuoup couture, found 7 great skirts, dresses, blouses, all heavily discounted, most a clearance prices, and all fit well & fill gaps in my wardrobe. You'd think that a wardrobe that fills a closet would have no gaps--if you were a guy. But of course you ladies know better.

Now, I'm sitting on the upstairs terrace at Benjy's in Rice Village, still en femme. Gorgeous day, warm, a few streaky clouds, sunset within the hour. I beat the happy hour rush a little, so got a seat. Now it's packed--lots of 20- & 30-somethings. Groups of gals, groups of guys, mixed groups. Enjoying warm pecan-crusted goat cheese cakes; agadashi with rice, bok shoy & ginger, and a split of Claiborne & Churchill 2008 Central Coast Dry Gewurzraminer.

Life is sweet. My wife is a little peeved--she knew I was going to town today, but apparently I didn't give her enough warning that I would stay for dinner to avoid the afternoon rush hour commute. She said she may not be home when I arrive, because she has some shopping to do tonight. So maybe I will go home en femme, hope the neighbors don't notice, carry in my purchases and change at home. Wouldn't that be great?

Unless she catches me, which would upset her significantly. She knows about my CDing, wants to stay in denial, and hence doesn't know about my public excursions.

Wish me luck!

Lainie

You're only young once, but you can be immature forever!

It sounds like you had a wonderful day, Lainie!

From your description Houston certainly does seem like a terrific town!

We're looking to migrate to Texas sometime in the future but are thinking more of the DFW area, probably more on the FW side. How is the CD climate up there?

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

Quote Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
    didn't shave the handlebar mustache
    You were out "en femme" and still had a mustache? Did anyone notice? How strange ...

Platinum Member
    Yep, if you're going to enjoy Houston this is the time of year to do it!

Just finding my way.... StaceyJane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Persephone View Post
    It sounds like you had a wonderful day, Lainie!

From your description Houston certainly does seem like a terrific town!

We're looking to migrate to Texas sometime in the future but are thinking more of the DFW area, probably more on the FW side. How is the CD climate up there?

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    I used to live in Fort Worth but nevr went out en femme while I lived ther. Now that I live 2 hours away I go there a couple of times a year to ride the commuter trains en femme just for fun.
    Stacey

I'm not a doctor, I just play one on TV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wob7zmvVTb8

Quote Originally Posted by Persephone View Post
    Couldn't say about the CD climate in DFW but if you start venturing too far away from the metroplex then I say beware. Living in Paris, about two hours northeast of Dallas, I found the area to be full of good ol boys. They are a nice enough group in general but the area firnly in the grip of the Bible belt.

Be careful of the weather, as well. Summers are hot and muggy - very unbearable to me.

Yeah, when I lived in Houston the shopping was better than Chicago for skirt suits. I also did shop at Act II Resale. The St John Store in Galleria was great too.

Thanks!

Thanks, y'all for the comments. Persephone, I can't say anything from experience about CD in FW. Did live in Dallas far north--a block west of Richardson, a few blocks south of Plano--but didn't go out then, in the '90s. My local magazine stores in neighborhood strip malls, however, carried "Ladylike" and other TG magazines, out with the knitting, cigar, tattoo, auto, news, &c &c magazines in plain view.

I tend to prefer the Montrose area in Houston--well known to be gay-friendly--but I have no problem in Starbucks at River Oaks Mall or Buffalo Speedway & Westpark, or other restaurants & shops, when I have the courage. There's a Plus Style place that specializes in overstock & resale plus & women's sizes out west of Beltway 8 on Westheimer that welcomes me and recognizes that I may prefer more private dressing rooms. It's a commercial area, heavily dominated by Oil & Gas companies & high-traffic retail. Not the funky countercultural place I'd normally feel safest in, but it seems ok.

Lainie

You're only young once, but you can be immature forever!

MtF Crossdresser
    Dallas is a great place for CDers.

Spent 3 days fully dressed in Houston about 12 years ago. That was one of the last times I dressed to "pass." Now, I just wear a mix of mens and women's styles.