Thread: " Boy Damage"

" Boy Damage"

How many of us,when "cleaning ourselves up" at the end of a workday,look for "boy damage"? For me,it ranges from cuts and scrapes to sealants,resins,paints,adhesives,that sometimes have to wear off,seems so ,anyway.Along with the bathing and shaving and moisturizing,damage asessment is part of my everyday routine.Hard to paint your nails when the edges are filled in with polyurethane!
    It SURE is my hair ! I have the receipt and the box it came in !

I can relate. I really need to start wearing gloves as my hand can look pretty beat up by the end of a day. I also notice scrapes and bruises on my legs and wonder how they got there. I guess a man's job isn't easy after all.

Aaaah, another advantage to being retired!!
    [SIZE="3"][/SIZE]Life is what happens while you're making other plans

Just recently I have been thinking the samething. It is always my hands. Seems like new cuts or bruises each day. Just like umm the other Jeanna said need to start wearing gloves.

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KrystalA View Post
    Aaaah, another advantage to being retired!!
    Aw yes my week now has six Saturdays and one Sunday and no more harmful chemicals and sharp tools every day.

Orchid

That is why I quit fixing boats and started running them. LOL. Sorry we did not have a chane to get together while I was there. Maybe next time

Tonya, the SHOE monster! rocketscientist's Avatar

Angry Oh YES!

I can TOTALLY relate to this! My job consists of nothing but hard, unyielding, sometimes sharp objects(STEEL!). Every time I scrape or bruise my legs I curse like a sailor because I know they won't look good when I put on a skirt. My shins are especially bad. And they don't heal quickly because the skin is so thin there. Yes, it sucks. Hugs, Tonya
    "Be yourself, everyone else is already taken" = Oscar Wilde

girls, it sounds like many of you need to start wearing protection...

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Yes, Rogina! I worked with my hands A LOT this week! BAD TIMING!

I'm headed to DLV Monday and my hands r loaded with cuts and dry as sandpaper! Every pair of nylons, undies, and tites sticks to them like velcro! EEEK!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

I am really aware of the dreaded "Boy Damage". For years I was in very harsh environments, mechanics, welding, major assembly, major deconstruction, wrecker operator (the big dogs) not the ones for cars. I guess it was shortly after acceptance that I became aware of this and started preventative maintenance. I still use latex or nitrile gloves for working on things.
    One day your life is going to pass before your eye's, Make sure it is worth watching.

Eddie Izzard said it best "I am an action tranvestite".

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bethanyannstratford/

I am a slow learner and wasted lots of money before I gave up. I would have my nails done at the salon and then do carpentry and plumbing work. I even wore gloves, but accidents happen to nails and hands when moving tools around or touching wood. I guess I need to stay in the kitchen more, that way I can have dish pan hands.lol

So when I read "boy damage" I was thinking something totally different as in damage to the "boys". LOL As for the real intent of this post: for me it my nails. Every day the damage is extensive. Thank god for acrylic and a wife who is a nail tech.
    I believe therefore I can [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A "necessary evil" and all part of the "game" Hon.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Former Member
    I have a cushy office job, so no hazzards for me at work.

Home is a different story. All of my hobbies involve getting my hands dirty. YUCK!!!

I have scars all over. I try to avoid getting any more.

monkey knife fighter anda_mouse's Avatar
    for me it was having to start wearing my glasses more often. i was squinting to much and noticed a tiny line forming around my forehead. put a stop to that though

Thanks for the protection idea. A white coat may look too medical, but a blue or green coat should be enough to work as an electrician. If I find one long enough, I can even wear it over a skirt + leggings + safety boots.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Yeah its usually my shins that get damaged.Always when I plan on wearing a skirt LOL

My work life is pretty damage-free, but those household jobs are not fun. I pay a lot more attention now and tend to wear disposable nitrile gloves when the going gets messy. I changed the oil in my wife's car today without getting a drop of it on my hands, something I chalk up as an achievement!

Nitrile gloves: Two by Two, Hands of blue...
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Is it just me or......... Carroll's Avatar
    My legs have years worth of damage, mostly from riding bike and doing stupid stuff. That's way every time I get dressed and leave the house, I have to wear a long dress/skirt or nylons
    Drumming, My other hobby

Let me tell you a discovery I made about 40 years ago! Before painting or using polyurethane always paint you nails with clear polish first covering the edges real good! People don't notice it and if they do let them know that it helps in clean up! Before you shower use polish remover and the paint and poly come too! I've said enough! Haven't recovered from my birthday yesterday yet!?? ha,ha!

Wear gloves. Especially stuff like polyurethane. When dry that stuff has to wear off with time from your skin, you can't get it off even with things like paint thinner.
    [SIZE="3"]Gender is a state of mind[/SIZE]
    LGBTQ PRIDE
    As of Oct. 5th, go here to see my pics:http://www.flickr.com/people/fab_karen/
    A Yankee Doodle T-Girl
    proud of my President

Just call me Amanda GirlieAmanda's Avatar
    I get so pissed when I see any scrape or scuff on my legs. Or when I ding my hand or break or chip a nail.
    The phoenix has risen the old life is gone
    A new life to live has finally begun
    There is fun to be had and work to be done
    My beauty is radiant my freedom is won