Thread: questions about Korea

Question questions about Korea

I may be moving to Korea in the coming months for a job. And, I was wondering if anyone had any sort of experiences with Crossdressing (though I'd stick out like a sore thumb but that's a non-issue atm) and peoples reactions with it there? I know a couple famous celebrities that do it quite often that doesn't say how people who aren't celebrities are dealt with.

Thanks in advance

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar
    Amalia, if that is you in your avatar you would definitely not stick out!! I spent 4 years in the U.S. Navy during the Korean War, but never set foot in Korea!! My feeling is that their culture probably would not respect Crossdressers any more than is done here in the U.S.A. Good luck on the new job!!
    Stephanie

Lady on the outside, but man underneath!

She has been in the US for 20 years, but my haircutter is Korean. She gave me a makeover and put my hair up in rollers and styled it for me years ago. She used my camera to take a few pics. Accepting, but not enthusiastic.

Haven't been to that part of the world, but from what I've read Western Culture is much more accepting, unless you count the Philippines.

Amalia - I am in Korea now and will be until this summer. I do not have much information though I will see what I can find out (I am not ready to leave my cocoon just yet). From my experiences so far, I do not think the Koreans would be too accepting. However, unless you are directly engaging a Korean, they pretty much ignore you which is ok too. It really depends on what you are doing at the time. Generally walking around or shopping I think would be ok. Any sort of formal gathering though might cause issues. I will ask some of the Koreans I work with and try to get a feel and let you know.

Danielle

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    I will ask a friend of mine who lives there (and knows about me), but I can't promise she'll happen to pick up the message within a few weeks.

I lived there for a year while I was active duty army, but I was SOOOOO far back in the closet then, that I have NO idea how they treat TG's there. I'd be curious to hear of your experience once you get there.

"I need more cowbell." dennisGTS's Avatar
    I lived in Korea as a dependent 3 times, and had a tour there, after I joined the military, back in 2000. Although, just like Kimberly said, I'm not sure how Koreans would treat TG's there.

For what it's worth, from my past experience over there, Americans in general don't pose a problem to the Korean culture. Obviously, Caucasian features stand out in a crowd of Asians...myself, being half Korean, doesn't really allow me to blend in either. The Americans that I remember standing out the most were the young rowdy soldiers and high school kids. I'm not sure how tall you are but Korean women, on average, are short (like 5' 4"); tall Caucasian females could attract some attention. Judging by your avatar, I think your Caucasian beauty could also potentially attract some attention; I'm just talking about them "rubber necking" as you pass by. But just like I said above, I have no idea how accepting they would be; although, if you are indeed passable, the occasional stare shouldn't be an issue. Koreans are not really loud people (they tend to keep to themselves) and, I don't think, will blatently come up to you and say stuff to your face...the drunk ones though, you're on your own with them. In a society, where straight men holding hands is acceptable, you'd think they would in fact be accepting to TG's...

I'm curoius as to what sandra-leigh's friend has to say though...
    (¯`'•.(¯`'•.¸,ø¤º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤ºº¤ø,¸¸,•♥• ƸӜƷ•♥• ,¸¸,ø¤ºº¤ø,¸¸,ø¤ºº¤ø,¸¸,ø¤ºº ¤ø,¸¸,•♥•ƸӜƷ•♥•,¸¸,ø¤ºº¤ø,¸¸ ,ø¤º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º¤ø,¸.• '´¯)¸.•'´¯)
    [SIZE="3"]"Crossdressing men, with a little discretion and a lot of anxiety, can pass as normal and retain all the privilege of their birthright.
    They don't have to tell anyone they are wearing lacy panties under their jeans."

–Helen Boyd[/SIZE]

(`*•...*(`*•.¸...-:¦:-•:*'""*:•.-:¦:-•*[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]*•-:¦:-•:*'''''*:•-:¦:-¸.•*´)*...•*´)

Thanks for your replys, I know quite a bit about Korean culture and was just wondering if anyone had any direct experiences with it. I had mostly asked because I get a lot of mixed signals from Koreans as Korean Culture tends to be very conservative then there is this http://www.mtvk.com/2011/04/01/dude-...ressing-idols/ is not uncommon at all nor is it really looked down upon( at least from what I gauge).

also I'm not in the military and speak a little Korean and will be interacting with Koreans on a daily basis (not en femme mind you) but I just wanted to know some experiences before I went over as I hate being locked up inside.

I would add - be extremely careful about entering Ladies Restroom. They might accept your crossdressing but every culture draws a line somewhere.

One other point - how would it be if you landed there en femme and lived 24/7 en femme?

-Nisha.

I generally don't enter the ladies room here in the US. Also I think many Toilets are Gender Neutral anyways. As for the 24/7 thing I don't have any desire to do that but from what I can gather they let a MtF TS marry and adopt so I suppose they aren't in the dark ages in terms of acceptance, Also apparently Transgendered people can serve in the military so there is that too. but Laws and celebrities are one thing how people treat you is a whole different bag which is really want I wanted to know, as I've never set foot there.

The best of both worlds Kathi Lake's Avatar
    Right there. To your left. No, your LEFT! Yes, that's it. Hi.
    I've been there a few times - always for the military. I have had suits, dresses, etc. made for me with no issues - and was even invited to model in a fashion show by the owner of a tailor shop and his daughter. Was there laughter at the show? Sure. But they took it in stride, and I had no issues or weird vibes.

I have gone shopping there dressed (obviously doing clothes and makeup after I was off-base, of course), and their reactions were anywhere from interest and acceptance to a distanced confusion. Basically, like anywhere, much of the reaction you receive will depend not on the local culture, but how you carry and accept yourself.

Enjoy Korea!!

Kathi

Thanks Kathi that's what I was looking for

Aspiring Member
    The young men of Korea dress pretty effeminately, so might be able to just go out dressed without makeup to some extent. A fellow at my Korean church came routinely in ladies shirts and even came in a button up dress and wore it like a coat. I think I'm the only one that noticed, because I had the same dress. I never got the nerve to speak with him. Have fun in Korea! Are you teaching english?

Aspiring Member Barbara Joanne74's Avatar
    Oregon, South of Portland, North of Salem
    If they way the Korean women at my nail salon treat me is any reflection at all, I would expect you to have the same reactions you do here in the US. My primary nail tech loves me as Barbara or my other self. The rest of the girls there are a mixed bag from professionally friendly, to stand offish, to curious.

Barbara

Quote Originally Posted by Kathi Lake View Post
    I've been there a few times - always for the military. I have had suits, dresses, etc. made for me with no issues - and was even invited to model in a fashion show by the owner of a tailor shop and his daughter. . .
    OMG, and people call me brave?! You rock Kathi!

The best of both worlds Kathi Lake's Avatar
    Right there. To your left. No, your LEFT! Yes, that's it. Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by TxKimberly View Post
    OMG, and people call me brave?! You rock Kathi!
    Psh! Brave or stupid. I get confused on which is which.

I'm leaning towards stupid, however. Last time I kinda got caught. I was getting my women's suit made in a tailor shop near Osan Air Base, and had a final fitting. I wore my forms, bra and hose, along with a cute red turtleneck a black necklace and some bracelets. It was under my heavy winter coat, so I thought I was good. Since I was the NCOIC I had a car available to me, so I drove from our dorms to the main gate area - about a mile or so. I made it through gate security and went to my fitting, bringing my heels in a shopping bag. It was a great fitting, and the suit looked great.

I was on my way back to the gate when I heard, "Hey sarge! Did you take your car? Can we get a ride back with you?" Gulp! "Sure!" I squeaked, "Pile on in." On the way back, they asked if we could stop off at the Commissary. "No problem" I said. Midway there, I thought that the car was making funny noises. I heard jingling as I was shifting gears. Of course, I soon realized that my bracelets had escaped my sleeve. The guy in the front seat had already been watching my chest (I can only imagine what he was thinking, "Wow, I have to say - the sarge's boobs look great today!" ), and now went to my wrists. Sigh. What could I do? I stopped at the Commissary, went inside (with my coat zipped up all the way), and drove them back to the dorms.

Nothing was said, but like I said, what would you call that? Bravery or stupidity? I know where I'm leaning.

Kathi

I'm where I want to be... maybe not where I deserve to be
    I lived in Korea for a couple of years, sadly I never got the chance to go out dressed because basically I had nothing to wear and where I was living literally nothing I bought would have fit me

Personally, I think you'll be ok, as has been said, most Koreans tend to keep to themselves - although I have been told to shut up whilst chatting on the subway a couple of times - I think unless you're directly affecting/annoying anyone they will leave you be. The 'losing face' element of their culture is very strong in this regard and so they may notice you or 'read' you, but to comment would result in you losing face and they will respect that. You may get people waving and shouting 'welcome to Korea!' or 'hey beautiful!' at you or laughter or stares - especially in smaller towns - but this is because of you being western rather than cding.

And I second the comment about young Korean males being rather effeminate. You get a lot of unisex clothing out there so I think there is a lot more of a blurry line between what is 'male' and 'female' clothing, And the boys like to take time over their appearance, perhaps second only to Italian boys in my experience.

I often wish I were back there - more so now I find I could have a shopping partner. Have fun and enjoy the soju

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    My friend in Korea (a young hip GG who is involved in alternative cultures) answered:

As for your friend- is your friend moving to Seoul, or elsewhere? You can get away with a bit more in Seoul. Generally, I'd say cross dressing on a regular basis is unacceptable here. Gender roles are still looked at fairly strictly and your friend might receive some unhappy treatment were he to walk around town on a regular basis dressed as a woman. That said, in Seoul there is a section of transgender bars in the foreigner neighborhood that host all kinds of cross-dressing/gender bending type events where I'm sure your friend could happily spend his evenings. If he's seen at one of those bars by his coworkers or something they probably wouldn't say anything to his face...as long as he acts "normal" in the workplace. What kind of work is he moving there to do? English teaching? Army work?

I hope that helps- if he hasn't looked yet, this website has a really decent discussion board for pretty much all things Korea, in particular for newbies.

http://www.eslcafe.com/jobs/korea/