Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If crossdressing was accepted by society, would that make it less fun?

If crossdressing was accepted by society, would that make it less fun?

What if crossdressing was highly accepted by society? Would you feel differently about it? I suppose no one would be in the closet any longer But for those of us who have come out and dress in public frequently, would your feeling about crossdressing change at all?

I wouldn't find it as exciting, to be totally honest with you. I really enjoy the excitement of shopping or dining out dressed as a woman and actually passing to some unknown degree. I love the experience. It is as though I have a secret. Please don't get me wrong; dressing femininely is when I feel most free and natural and I don't treat it like a game. I've never had a desire to participate in an extreme sport, either.

But I find something enticing about living a life so authentically and on the fringe. Presenting my self as a woman is a true reflection of my internal self. It is very rewarding to be authentic at the risk of ridicule or harm. It takes a lot of courage to remain relaxed while navigating a crowded mall, theater, or restaurant with your head held high and smiling at everyone who makes eye contact with you.

I've had several encounters with both women and men who knew I was really a male in body, and to receive their understanding, respect, and enthusiasm was just so amazing. If crossdressing was totally accepted, we wouldn't have those special experiences.

I'm very interested to hear others' thoughts on this.

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Amanda22 View Post
    What if crossdressing was highly accepted by society? Would you feel differently about it? I suppose no one would be in the closet any longer But for those of us who have come out and dress in public frequently, would your feeling about crossdressing change at all?
    To answer your the question in this thread's title about being less fun, my answer is simply no. Crossdressing and transgendered feelings are really a big blur in my mind. I don't know if I want to categorize my "crossdressing" as merely fun. It's who I am.

As to how I would feel if it were highly accepted by society, I would say relieved. I don't like confrontation or any sort of personal attacks. The reality is that a Utopian transgendered society probably won't happen in my lifetime. The again, any progress in this direction is a glimmer of hope.

Babette
    Someone else's imagination is a terrible thing to waste.

Aspiring Member
    I may not be the best person to answer this as I've never even left the house dressed, but to me, the naughty aspect of it does add to the fun. If it was widely accepted & considered the norm, I do think fun aspect of it would be reduced somewhat. (Not that it would stop me wanting to do it.)

I would lose something for sure, but I would gain acceptance.. and that is a big one!
    Kaz xx

__________________________________________________ ____________

This Woman Within is Flying without Wings

On Hiatus
    I think it adds to the fun of attempting to pass in public, for sure. I mean, if a bevy of crossdressers/transvestites (I know some of you probably hate the word transvestite, but if we are to examine its etymology, it really means "one who dresses across" AKA "crossdresser") were just wandering about and it was all too common, it'd be possible for people to see even slightly masculine women as potentially being crossdressers/transvestites, as public transvestism would be such a widespread phenomenon that it would make jumping to such a conclusion rather easy. However, if society were to accept cross dressing and treat us as women while dressed rather than treat as men in women's clothes, I think it would allow some of the more insecure crossdressers/transvestites to enjoy that feminine experience.

And Nichola, you look absolutely fantastic in your avatar pic (You actually remind me of one of my dad's ex-girlfriends, who was very pretty and very sweet!). I totally think you should go out sometime.
    Last edited by SarahMarie42; 04-09-2011 at 05:44 PM.
    "None is more cruel and violent than the coward"
    -Italian economist and sociologist Vilfredo Pareto-

I would love it. To be able to go outside and go any place I want. priceless.

To me it would make it a lot more enjoyable. But, we can dream!

I think it would make crossdressing more enjoyable because then we could dress whenever we liked and not worry about getting caught or being read.

Personally I would then dress always.

-Nisha.

It would certainly be different. I'd probably have to find something else to do as my secret from all but my closest friends, but it would be nice to be able to dress as Ii like and take the dog for a walk.

it would make it a lot easier , but just think how many more CD"S and TG's there would be ,

[SIZE=4]If the only thing you are looking for as a crossdresser is to raise eyebrows, there are a lot of other ways to do it. Just get tattoos across your face, or don't shower for weeks or whatever. If you are a CD and you do it ofr your own satisfaction, as I do, then I could care less if the rest of society approves of the issue, it is my expression. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4]I dress daily to work and never, ever find it to be a chore or find myself not enjoying being dressed. So, if crossdressing were accepted by society (and it really is, just in limited fashion) it would not make any difference to me...I get along just fine dressed and wish others could do the same.[/SIZE]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am a licensed Cosmetologist (hair stylist, not cosmonaut), work as a hair and wig stylist, makeup artist and permanent makeup artist, dressed as you see in my avatar and albums.

My web site www.apparentlyfemale.com

I have over 2,500 pictures on my Flicker site located at http://www.flickr.com/photos/9315394@N02/

Quote Originally Posted by beam47 View Post
    it would make it a lot easier , but just think how many more CD"S and TG's there would be ,
    I doubt that there would be any more of these, just that they would be more visible.

I know that I would be happy to be able to express myself without fear. I know that it is mostly irrational, but it's hard to turn off decades of upbringing even in the face of logic.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

I wish it was perfectly acceptable, then I could dress exactly as I wished. I'm not the "thrill of the taboo" type. I just want to be confortable with who I am and be accepted by all.

No!! not at all. It would definately be more enjoyable for sure!!

Gold Member
    I wish we could make a month "Crass Dressing Month. That way anybody could dress as they
    wanted to. Just think, How many people would venture out of the closet, and see the light
    of day.
    Rader

I could enjoy it without fear of my reputation or being labled a derogatory term merely because of liking the challenge to make an exotic or pleasing image of myself.
    "I am not altogether on anyone's side as no one is all together on my side"
    Tree beard. Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers.

The avvy pic isn't me
    My main goal in life is to find Serenity, to be happy, joyous and free. There are many ways to feel a thrill, or to be excited beyond the norm, i'd rather it not be by going out enfemme.
    Think about that pretty woman you see on the street one day, she's decked out in a beautiful outfit and walking down the street in tall heels or sitting in a sidewalk cafe, legs crossed and her heel dangling, with a lovely smile on her pretty face.
    She doesn't look that way because she's getting away with something, she is free.

i fell this way i am 58 an live as a cd all my life in side some times i go out dressed yers a go but i just lost ever thing that i had even all my cd things but it made me think i am me an me or no body can change that so i belive do what you an all of us haft to do ever body is who they are

I think some understood what I meant by the post, and I thank you for your thoughtful responses. I suppose I'm in the minority by finding going out exciting. For the first time in my life, I'm now able to present an exterior that is congruent with my interior. Personally, that's cause for my excitement, pure joy, and yes, "fun". What's wrong with fun? I don't know how equates to thrill-seeking and attention-mongering.

My fantasy, dressed aether as a male or female without any concerns or inhibitions, At home, at work everywhere as if it was totally normal. I would have far more fun.

I'm sure it would be nice to be totally excepted! But it wouldn't change any thing for me! I just tell them! :If you don't like the way I'm livin' you just leave this long haired country girl alone!

I don't think it would change anything for me. I don't even go out in drab much but when I do I get more of a kick walking around laughing at people who think I'm just your average scary looking hillbilly.

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar
    Having been a crossdresser for over 60 years, I don't think there is anything that could change my feelings about it! Like Tamara, I dress to please myself, and no one else! As I have often said, since my wife died I now go out dressed enfemme but looking just like the man that I am. No wig and no makeup! And I am very comfortable doing so! I have been doing that for over 6 years and have never had a problem. If you are decently clothed, the majority of people don't care what you are wearing! Unless of course you try to be real Drag Queen with your clothes. Than any problem is your own fault!!
    Stephanie

Lady on the outside, but man underneath!

Complex Lolita...
    Quote Originally Posted by Amanda22
    If crossdressing was accepted by society, would that make it less fun?
    [SIZE="2"]Would it still be considered crossdressing if it were accepted? There’s a point when crossdressing wouldn’t be crossdressing, but I can’t imagine a world free of prejudice that would give birth to this imaginary state. Imagine NOT making distinctions among people, or ideas, or beliefs, and accepting ALL types of human behavior – I really don’t think this will ever happen, since, historically at least, humans need some counter-humans to feel superior to, the whole basis for the “system” we find ourselves living in at present…

If crossdressing WERE accepted, across the board, I wouldn’t really do anything different. It would still be fun because I would make it so. In my case, I’m separated from society anyway, so what the outside world is doing has little bearing on my own activity. I can’t imagine ALL men crossdressing, for example, without some inevitable backlash from females – at what point does the scale tip towards relinquishing traditional control for the sake of comfortable clothing? The mindset that continues to make the world go round will keep doing so, but what if the adopted attire of the opposite sex hinders this process? Males might learn something, but I doubt it…
    [/SIZE]

There is a part of me that enjoys the fact that CDing is my little secret, and that people would hopefully be pleasantly surprised to find out about my hobby. Like Amanda I find going out exciting, and that would probably be lessened, but the opportunity to wear heels and stockings most of the time would far outweight any disadvantages.
    "She snuck up on me from behind. You'd think women would make more noise with those big high heels, but they don't, they've got this stealth thing going..."