Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: If crossdressing was accepted by society, would that make it less fun?

Amanda poses a fascinating question. If the ‘taboo’ were lifted would we lose the thrill of crossdressing . . . These days, when en femme, most of myself is delirious at simply being Susan, and the affirmation that I can be accepted as such. But … yes, I also admit to a vicarious thrill at being a David in a dress. I think it stems from those very early years of trying to get it right .. learning what to wear and how to walk and talk .. there was a thrill (and stark terror) associated with trying to pull off the emulation.
    But oooh .. if we could truly just openly ‘be’ … then Susan would be more than a part-time girl.
    Last edited by Susan_Xdress; 04-10-2011 at 07:56 AM. Reason: miss spelling

I don't dress for fun...but to express how I feel inside.
    Yesterday my spouse and I were out shopping (I was dressed) and all the time at the malls and the restaurant no one seemed to notice me. I was just another woman out on a nice Saturday. That's just how I want it!!
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Amanda22 View Post
    I think some understood what I meant by the post, and I thank you for your thoughtful responses. I suppose I'm in the minority by finding going out exciting. For the first time in my life, I'm now able to present an exterior that is congruent with my interior. Personally, that's cause for my excitement, pure joy, and yes, "fun". What's wrong with fun? I don't know how equates to thrill-seeking and attention-mongering.
    I find going out dressed scandalously thrilling. If public gender-fluid clothing became the norm I would up the thrill level with ever more provocative presentation. You know, bigger forms, higher heels. Wow, let the fun begin!

Quote Originally Posted by Frédérique View Post
    [SIZE="2"]Would it still be considered crossdressing if it were accepted? There’s a point when crossdressing wouldn’t be crossdressing, but I can’t imagine a world free of prejudice that would give birth to this imaginary state. Imagine NOT making distinctions among people, or ideas, or beliefs, and accepting ALL types of human behavior – I really don’t think this will ever happen, since, historically at least, humans need some counter-humans to feel superior to, the whole basis for the “system” we find ourselves living in at present…

If crossdressing WERE accepted, across the board, I wouldn’t really do anything different. It would still be fun because I would make it so. In my case, I’m separated from society anyway, so what the outside world is doing has little bearing on my own activity. I can’t imagine ALL men crossdressing, for example, without some inevitable backlash from females – at what point does the scale tip towards relinquishing traditional control for the sake of comfortable clothing? The mindset that continues to make the world go round will keep doing so, but what if the adopted attire of the opposite sex hinders this process? Males might learn something, but I doubt it…
    [/SIZE]
    My understanding of this post is that acceptance means, acceptance among men and women. If this was true, how we are stereotyped would not be the narrow view everyone has now! It would open the door to more women seeking crossdresser as partners.

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar
    Ok, so it is true that having a secret that my wife and I only share has a certain positive aspect to it.

That said, there are two sides of me that are important. Ok, it is "fun" to be Tina, but the fun has nothing to do with society. The "fun" of Tina is that she exists! Anything that makes her existence easier or more natural is a plus. In that sense, there would be more of the fun of Tina if she were not in any way restricted.

If it was completely accepted and no one cared, I would dress everyday I felt like it.

If it were accepted, I believe it would be more fun because:
    -There would possibly be more shoes clothes offered in my size then.
    -I'm sure there would be more hair-removal practices and it would be less expensive than it is now.
    -I could dress All the time (I'd go through SRS for sure)
    -I could be ME!!!

Just call me Amanda GirlieAmanda's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Amanda22 View Post

But I find something enticing about living a life so authentically and on the fringe. Presenting my self as a woman is a true reflection of my internal self. It is very rewarding to be authentic at the risk of ridicule or harm. It takes a lot of courage to remain relaxed while navigating a crowded mall, theater, or restaurant with your head held high and smiling at everyone who makes eye contact with you.
    God, I just did this exact thing just yesterday and I think this is a very good way of putting it. I just went out for the first time in 10 years trying to pass and I did fantastic. Although there is a little thrill associated with passing or in my case trying to appear as I feel inside, it would be so much better if it were accepted. I would be 24/7 tomorrow if it were like that. Work, home, out, sleep, it would be so nice. I guess I am more courageous as Amanda than in boy mode.
    The phoenix has risen the old life is gone
    A new life to live has finally begun
    There is fun to be had and work to be done
    My beauty is radiant my freedom is won

Absolutely not. I don't do this for "fun." I do it because it is who I am. If the taboo disappeared miraculously, I'd be much happier.

Well It would be easier for me. I think the reason I haven't gone out dressed is just that acceptance. But I am getting closer to the door everyday.

Kymmie
    Just your average harley riding crossdressing biker

Why be normal??????

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    I must admit there is a bit of a thrill in going out en femme that would probably disappear. However, that bit of thrill usually only lasts for the first 15 minutes or half hour of my outings. After that, I'm just me. If there was general acceptance, but not necessarily general practice (was this part of the assumption?), I'd be very happy to get out more often. The thrill and challenge of doing the very best I could would be just fine. It would be great to not have to worry about telling children, grandchildren, old friends, co-workers and employers. There is a lot to be said for trading some of the thrill for security and comfort.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah Charles View Post
    It would be great to not have to worry about telling children, grandchildren, old friends, co-workers and employers. There is a lot to be said for trading some of the thrill for security and comfort.
    Sarah, I like your response. I agree with you that any loss of thrill would totally be worth the gains of freedom. Thanks for your input.

For me I would lose a lot of the enjoyment. Humiliation and the "taboo" factor have always played a major part of my desire to Xdress. If it were accepted by society I would probably continue to dress just because I've been doing it my whole life. But the heart pounding thrill would be gone.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by VanessaVW View Post
    I wish it was perfectly acceptable, then I could dress exactly as I wished. I'm not the "thrill of the taboo" type. I just want to be confortable with who I am and be accepted by all.
    My sentiments are kind of an echo of this. I guess all I'd add is that I wish standards of masculinity/femininity were more flexible, and those that fell outside would not be stigmatized. It would be nice to live in a society in which people were judged on their merits as human beings, rather than by superficial gender roles...

absolutely not, I love to wear dresses, pantyhose and high heels.....

I don't think it would be less fun, but rather more fun. I could wear what I want where I wanted to with no fear of what others thought. I could share my desires with friends and family in addition to my wonderful wife. To be able to be so open about who I am would be a blessing.

I don't know if it would be less fun. I dress when I can because it is what I feel right doing. If it was accepted I would dress alot more and maybe not go all out (make-up, hair). I could then be me.

Not sure where I am yet Jay Cee's Avatar
    I would be ecstatic if society accepted CD'ers, and would still enjoy going out en femme. In fact, I bet I would enjoy it even more - not having to be concerned if I am going to get beat up, put in an embarassing situation, or otherwise stressed would make it that much nicer of an experience.

it would make it a lot better! I could cross dress whilst shopping and it would be more execpted and would not have to worry about being attacked.

It would be wonderful. I could finally wear all of my nice fem clothes outside of the house.

There is no doubt that I would love such a situation, but reality says it will never happen.

If it were accepted I would wear dresses and heals any and everyday. I would be all woman head to toe day in and day out.
    WARNING:Any institutions or individuals using this site or any of its associated sites for studies , projects or any other reasons You DO NOT have permission to use any of my profile or pictures in any form or forum both current and future. If you have or do, it will be considered a violation of my privacy and will be subject to legal ramifications. It is recommended that other members post a similar notice to this.
    I know some girls who have had pictures stolen , copied then used elswhere .
    This isn't a joke - this advice was passed onto me by a close legally trained friend .

I would love that! I enjoy the independence thrill for what it is, but I'd be much happier if I never had to think about it.

If I want a rush I'll go into extreme sports. No it would not make it less exciting just easier on my life.
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

It just relates to my current issues...leaving and returning home undiscovered, wife not understanding it, protecting the kids... so, it would just make it easier. In a way though, its already pretty close if you choose to be out, for the most part I think people are okay with it.
    Chickie