Thread: How I Wish;

Gold Member

How I Wish;

I happened upon an old black and white movie yesterday; I believe it was the
    story of Glen Miller and his band.
    In the movie was his wife portrayed by June Allison. She was wearing this dress
    that was a C.D.ers dream. It was fitted well on top down to the waist,
    had short selves and a v neck. From the waist down, was this full 360 skirt
    with many petticoats to hold the skirt out.
    It was just wonderfully, I wish I could find one like that. In the movie she seemed
    to enjoy swishing the skirt around, and sitting down, she had to hold down the
    skirt. She is a petite lady foe sure, and the dress fit her like a glove, But the way she moved around in the dress just caught my eye. I was even dreaming about
    it all night
    Rader

They just don't make them like that any more. Movies and dresses that it especially the dresses

If it was the the 1954 version with Jimmy Stewart, and Harry Morgan costaring, it was a classic of period costumes, and a two hanky ending even though you knew how it would end.

That was a great movie in its time! The dress even greater! Nowadays the dress could be listed under costumes at e-bay!

Here are some links to vintage dresses currently on sale on CraigsList in the San Francisco Bay area. They are out there, you just need to look hard. Happy hunting.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/clo/2319032855.html

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/clo/2319031388.html

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/clo/2311528195.html

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/clo/2321481489.html

I was watching some three stoog4es shorts from that era, and noticed how nicely the ladies in it were dressed. Not moe, Larry and Curley in drag, though! I saw that movie long ago, and vaguely remember June, in that dress.

Heh... I've always thought the same thing watching "Strategic Air Command". I love the dresses June Allyson wears, even just around the house. http://www.imdb.com/media/rm886938624/tt0048667

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Maybe it helped that she had a 16", or something like that, waist!? SIGH!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Gold Member
    Quote Originally Posted by docrobbysherry View Post
    Maybe it helped that she had a 16", or something like that, waist!? SIGH!
    Quite correct; what do you guess, maybe a size 0 or a 1???
    Defiantly no where near the size I would need. But a body can dream???? Cant she???
    Rader

Quote Originally Posted by Kat42 View Post
    Heh... I've always thought the same thing watching "Strategic Air Command". I love the dresses June Allyson wears, even just around the house. http://www.imdb.com/media/rm886938624/tt0048667
    Yes; I almost forgot that movie, and I loved the pictures of a B 36.......wonderfull airplane.
    Another dress I remember, and it was only seen for a few minuets was the dress
    worn in "Peggy Sue Got Married" In the beginning.
    Rader
    Last edited by Nigella; 04-13-2011 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Merged consecutive posts

Banned Read only
    I love the scenes in older movies of the lovely full dresses, too! The women in the 1950's and 1960's TV and movies really looked sexy in their ordinary day dresses. I also love the lingerie and undergarment full page ads in the magazines of that era.

Quote Originally Posted by AllieSF View Post
    Here are some links to vintage dresses currently on sale on CraigsList in the San Francisco Bay area. They are out there, you just need to look hard. Happy hunting.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/clo/2319032855.html

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/clo/2319031388.html
    Cute dresses, but it is a reminder of our times that the woman modeling them is wearing jeans underneath.

I too remember and love the styles of the '50's, but am really fond of the styles of the 1850's and 1860's.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

Gold Member
    Those dresses on craigslist, waist 28"
    Defiantly way to small for me. Maybe a size 8, when I need a 28. O' Well
    maybe next time.
    Rader

The best is yet to come. Miss Meli's Avatar
    ARGH!! Bless you wonderful girls.. -_- I'm going to be dreaming of a dress like that for at least a week now!
    Meli

Rader, just keep looking locally on CraigsList. They show up every so often and then maybe you will found one in your size. The problem with that style is that the small waist was a major part of the style. Also, look for some vintage clothing stores in your area. You may have some luck.

I know that I have always been envious of the way actresses and other well-dressed women dressed in the late 1940s and the 1950s.
    Hugs, Carole

Ahh, yes Rader, I remember June Allyson well, always an impeccable dresser on screen, and her deep throaty voice made her sound extremely sexy. I also remember that style of dress back then because that was my experimental period and my three older sisters had plenty of dresses like that in their closet. I would start with their panties, bras, girdles, nylons, and then work my way up to slips and multiple petticoats. What a wonderful feeling it was to prance around the house in those dresses and feel the swish of the petticoats against my stockinged legs. I also loved the way the dress would flare out as I spun around. Yes those certainly were the good old days.
    Luv and Jill

Straight, into Fantasy Land

mini kilted chick t-girlxsophie's Avatar
    Doris Day or Audrey Hepburn movies have the same effect on me

Sophie
    We look to Scotland,for all our Ideas of Civilisation-Voltaire

========================================

A woman who loves to wear beautiful clothes is like a flower.
    A man who loves to emulate these women is a special flower-a rose
    Facebook:Sophie Johnson

Gold Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jilmac View Post
    Ahh, yes Rader, I remember June Allyson well, always an impeccable dresser on screen, and her deep throaty voice made her sound extremely sexy. I also remember that style of dress back then because that was my experimental period and my three older sisters had plenty of dresses like that in their closet. I would start with their panties, bras, girdles, nylons, and then work my way up to slips and multiple petticoats. What a wonderful feeling it was to prance around the house in those dresses and feel the swish of the petticoats against my stockinged legs. I also loved the way the dress would flare out as I spun around. Yes those certainly were the good old days.
    You are making me droll. LOL
    Rader

Funny, you made me think about The Bio-Pic with Steve Allen playing The Title Role in The Life Story of Benny Goodman. The GF/Wife is played by another Icon of my youth, Donna Reed. Man, that Gal knew how to look great in a Dress. Tiny Waist, very "bosomy," full skirts with Petti, to emphasize that tiny waist.

I was listening to a Talk Show a couple of years back. Apparently, I'm not The Only Young Lad impressed with Ms. Reed's "Talents." Lots of Boys found her breathtaking! June is Tre' Cute beyond belief, but Donna is my personal choice. Besides, Goodman's Music holds up a lot better than Miller's. Goodman had "The Hot Band!" Seems reasonable in The Movie, he would also have "The Hot Woman!"

Peace and Love, Joanie
    Last edited by sterling12; 04-14-2011 at 10:24 PM.

One of the ultimate 50's fashionable television women was Loretta Young. Seeing her in the dresses in the opening sequences to The Loretta Young Show (click here) was breathtaking. Be sure to watch the video (includes audio) about midway down the page.

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

Gold Member
    Yes, I remember that show, It was one of my Parent's favorites. When it came on,
    OFF TO BED. Bummer.
    She had a thing of never wearing the same dress twice. Wow, that is a lot of dresses to have.
    I wonder if the story was true of her having a mix parents, Black & White???
    Rader