Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CD's vs GG's knowledge on things

CD's vs GG's knowledge on things

This might be in the wrong section. If so forgive me. Better to ask forgiveness later as permission up front.

This has been a question on my mind for a few days and I haven't posted it b/c I wasn't sure which section to put it in but I'm not going to worry about that. I am sure a mod will move it if it's in the wrong place.

What has been your observations as to CD's having broader knowledge of clothing, accessories, makeup, apparel, etc?

I ask this b/c I go through life never caring what brand something is. I can't look at another woman and say those shoes are so-n-so and cost whatever. For one thing I don't wear heels so it's irrelevant to me. I also wear whatever I like b/c I like it and it's comfortable or in my price range. Knowing the top stylists, fashions, shoe makers, make up makers/artists, etc. is not something I ever felt the need to do.

It seems to me that the CD is much more aware of these details.

Opinions and observations?

If your question is aimed at mostly the CDers, then your post is in the right section. Also, you are not asking about a specific beauty product, so your question does not belong in the Beauty section.

So, assuming anyone can answer, here is my opinion:

Contrary to the popular belief that all GGs are experts, I have spent very little time in my life learning about fashion and makeup. I've spent most of my life not wearing any makeup at all, and wearing easy wash 'n wear clothes while my kids were growing up. Most of my knowledge has been acquired by picking up a product with intriguing packaging as I walk by and deciding to try it out, or reading random ads online or in magazines that strike my fancy. I've never been on a mission to find "the" best lipstick, foundation, epilation method, panty hose with the largest denier, etc. My fashion sense has been influenced by the ads I see in magazines, but mostly by the styles that are available in the shops and department stores I've been into.

So ... I consider the CDers who've spent countless hours studying the fashions and makeup applications on models and other women to be much more expert in these things as I am! I've taken to going to the beauty section when I have questions about the *best* mascara for example.

If someone else is more interested in presentation that me and has done all the work, why not avail myself of their expertise?
    Last edited by ReineD; 04-15-2011 at 04:18 PM.
    Reine

The best of both worlds Kathi Lake's Avatar
    Right there. To your left. No, your LEFT! Yes, that's it. Hi.
    Wsprs,

No, there is nothing magical about CDs and their obsession on labels, brands, etc. A lot of us are essentially playing 'catch-up' in the arena of what we perceive to be "Womanly Arts", and are going at it in a sometimes stereotypical male fashion - we have a problem, and the solution is study and application. Many of us think that women pay attention to every little detail of their appearance, and so therefore must we.

Then again, some of us just like fashion! I know I always have. If I see a woman with a cute pair of shoes or a skirt or top in a style I particularly like - one that I could see myself in - I ask her where she got it and what brand it is (after telling her how fabulous it looks on her, of course! ). That way, I can decide whether or not I like styles from that designer, want to get one for myself, etc.

Kathi

Like ReineD, I just know what I like, I'm more the pick it up and feel it type, I shop line of sight. What I know about fashion I learn watching reality TV, such as top Model, and project runway. Make up is what caches my eye while in the drug store. the wife and I both shop in this manner.
    Tina B.
    Magic is the art of changing consciousness at will.

Banned Read only
    Western Upstate NY, on a Lake Ontario city
    I have written before roughly equating this subject in the beauty section once and it was an arguement over foundation: Drugstore vs. High end dept. store or Mac etc. Also shoes, Payless vs. expensive $100= heels or flats. My argument and opinion is that in the end NO ONE can tell the difference of what you are wearing, makeup, wigs, shoes, hoisery etc. I defy anyone to say they can tell that one girl next to me is wearing MAC or Clinque foundation vs. my $8.00 Maybelleine Wonder Finish.only I will Know the look and results are the same. I swear that about wigs too. I've never spent more than $50 on a Paula Young wig mail order and they look just as good as expensive $300 ones that look identical and are marked up 500% of what they should be.
    No , for me designer or high end this or that is a lot of Phooey, its what I can afford and looks good.

Beats me on that account Hon. I always went for what worked for me and what was within my budget. Designer clothes were never my objective, expression was.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

I have never been one for labels, really could not care about what the label states but I do love mixing items I like because they look nice and achieving the look I desire. If I see something in the rubbish and I can see it having the potential for me to accomplish a specific role I pick it up and use it, I do not really care about its past, I intend it to have a future with me. Sales are great because I research an article of clothing and see potential and so for $5 or $10 I can end up with a gorgeous creation that is mostly Mine because I change and modify the garment.
    I do always look at fashion and see what the designers accomplish in progressing ideas but creativity is what I enjoy and I like to take something that has one use and incorporate it into my project where it may have an entirely different use. Heck and being a CD allows me to be more creative because I adore female fashion. In male mode I am a real slob, in female mode I envisage myself going to fashion parades, art galleries and parties discussing fashion, art and trends promoting myself as an elegant, stylish and yet flamboyant trendie.
    Last edited by Suzette Muguet de Mai; 04-15-2011 at 04:34 PM. Reason: usual missed letter

Ya mean I'm a normal everyday CD? More like a GG based on Reine and wsprs thoughts and feelings abut what they wear. I have never been into labels or brands. In fact, ya might say I'm the opposite considering that I believe those famous name brands are just grossly over-priced articles playing on someone's vanity. Way back when the term "designer jeans" cropped up somewhere around 1968-1970, I remember telling everyone that I will pay $60.00 for a pair of jeans ONLY when it's my name sewn on the rump! lol I like what I like regardless of the price or who made it. Same for make up or shoes. So call me frugal or call me cheap, but you will never see me in so called designer fashions.
    Last edited by BRANDYJ; 04-15-2011 at 04:44 PM. Reason: spelling

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    I don't pay attention to "fashion"; my wife does (to some extent.) I don't read the Elle or whatever magazines that she sometimes buys, and I don't buy things because they are "in": I buy them because I like them. My wife is certainly not a "fashionista", but she does, for example, recognize Guicci on sight.

I do, though, know more about bras than my wife does. Not about what is "in" for bras, but about the varieties available. I own at least 20 bras -- but these days now that I wear a bra nearly every day, I usually wear the same few over and over again.

The things that I do know more than my wife about, come about because I study and compare the available options for them, whereas my wife is much more of a person to look in only a small number of places before buying something.

My wife and I were walking down South Beach once, and out of curiosity (mostly because he'd just been shot), we ducked into the Versace store. We were amazed at the prices, even knowing they were going to be expensive. But $400.00 for a skimpy little halter top? It was pretty, and of nice quality, but please!

Because I browse Ebay for things to wear, I have come to recognize a few name labels, like Hal Fermin, Jessica McClintock, Al Shaheen, Lily Ann for Shuman, and a few others. But for the most part, if you were to whack me in the face label first with any clothing, I'd be hard-pressed to even begin a guess as to who made them.

Any money found in the laundry is MINE!

"This is no social crisis....this is me having fun!"

www.flickr.com/photos/tgmarla/

Let me sum it up succinctly this way to illustrate how I see the issue, using the famous Avis Rent-A-Car slogan from their ad campaign of many years ago when they were competing neck and neck with Hertz:

"When you're No. 2, you have to try harder"

One thing I have to say about "high end" brand names, it is the people who can afford them, women AND men, who are familiar with the labels. You know ... the type of people who can afford the $$$ products advertized in the NYT ... the Gucci, Rolex, Prada, Armani suits for men, or whatever high end furniture/tableware design there is, who can and do discriminate. I suppose these things matter to them. If I were weathly, no doubt I'd acquire a taste for these things as well. But, I am not impressed by these things and I think people can look nice and have nice homes without them.
    Reine

It is an interesting question because i never knew who wolford was until i tried wearing tights 5 months ago... I only learnt about them because i tried different designers - and i discovered that with lingerie (I am a fetish CDer), it really is about what you pay for. I found that some labels felt better than others. It seems that some of the most well known are actually better. Not all but many. So, for me, its not about who I am wearing, its about the quality. I now know certain designers are better than others. I dont give a flying **** who it is because it is pretty unlikely someone will see me in it. It is fun to say, oh this is falke, wolford, transparenze etc but thats because I know that girls will know they r a good and trusted brand - not because i have some vanity in it. Vanity would imply I feel like a diva. I dont ))))

jmho
    Jx

Quote Originally Posted by ReineD View Post
    One thing I have to say about "high end" brand names, it is the people who can afford them, women AND men, who are familiar with the labels. You know ... the type of people who can afford the $$$ products advertized in the NYT ... the Gucci, Rolex, Prada, Armani suits for men, or whatever high end furniture/tableware design there is, who can and do discriminate. I suppose these things matter to them. If I were weathly, no doubt I'd acquire a taste for these things as well. But, I am not impressed by these things and I think people can look nice and have nice homes without them.
    I've thought that too at times but then again I think I'd still enjoy buying from thrift stores. I'm not sure I'd pay top dollar for every thing even if I was rich. I'm not so I really don't know for sure.

I agree with your first post totally.

This has been another misconception I had of CD's. I'm so glad I came back here and started posting. It's great to know that it's not common for the "entitlement" factor.

Brandy, I LMAO about your comment of your name being on the RUMP! Bout fell outta my seat but then I have an odd sense of humor and that just struck me as funny.

Honestly, if someone told me a brand they were wearing I wouldn't know it was designer or Wal-Mart. I'm a thrift store queen. It's a fun challenge for me.

I shop on Ebay, at Kohls, Walmart, Gordman's, Target, Marshall's, thrift stores, wherever, and I do not look at labels. I buy what I like and I like what i buy. I have no idea what motivates anyone else, but I do appreciate a well coordinated ensemble.

Quote Originally Posted by WsprsOnTheWInd View Post

I ask this b/c I go through life never caring what brand something is. I can't look at another woman and say those shoes are so-n-so and cost whatever. For one thing I don't wear heels so it's irrelevant to me. I also wear whatever I like b/c I like it and it's comfortable or in my price range. Knowing the top stylists, fashions, shoe makers, make up makers/artists, etc. is not something I ever felt the need to do.
    I for one am like you Wsprs. I don't care about the brand or the designer. I like something because it fits, it's flattering and it's the right price. If a certain makeup performs well that is more important than who makes it. I've never been much for brand loyalty.
    I think that most of us CD's spend more time "learning" about such things because we need to have a greater knowledge base. We need to know what foundation will cover well, we need to know what brands fit well and last because we don't have the luxury of huge wardrobes (for the most part...lol).
    It's all a matter of necessity.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Frankly, my wife and I can't afford to buy designer labels. We do occasionally walk through an upper-crust store and marvel at the prices, though. $120 for plastic flip-flops?

Concerning knowledge, I think that many CDers might have a higher level of knowledge than many GGs simply because clothing holds a more intense interest for many of us.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Deep in the Heart of Texas..okay..DFW area
    Wsprs, I'm not trying to put labels out there, but IMHO and my views..if you are asking these questions in a broad sense..you have some good answers but if you go with just plain ole crossdressers such as me (those who are not in the wrong body, don't want 24/7, are not transitioning) then I would say its not about labels per sa, but more about what looks trendy.. hope that is the right way to say it. For those that I put in parenthese, most are likely to grab what feels comfortable or as termed 'normal' daily wear..so they have the fashion down pact. For those of us who just dress at various times cause we enjoy it and its more meant to draw attention just like any girl who goes clubbing, I for one just go with what is deemed approatiate for the setting which includes dressing, makeup, heels, etc. But to put it all together can take visits to various stores as Mary Morgan says.

Only difference may be that I for one would try to get it right for the 'red carpet', not that stroll down the street in light of day..

So I may tend to think or say that 'that does not go with that'..or 'nice jeans'..where you would not even bat an eye...

Its not that we are more knowledgeable, just more perseptive to those things. IMHO..
    Marissa

"You better look hard and look twice,
    ...is that me, baby or just a brilliant disguise?"- The Boss

Marissa,

Good points. I'm sure you are more perceptive to what I would take for granted. It takes an act of congress to get me to dress in formal clothing and heels that hurt. To me they are torture devices as you would see it as something wonderful but then for me it's an option to do it any time so it's no big thing.

Quote Originally Posted by ReineD View Post
    I don't know that you would, Reine! You strike me as the type that would rather spend your money travelling, tasting exotic foods, and getting experiences rather than objects.

I've got a friend who LOVES designer, and buys it pretty regularly (whenever she can afford it). She was always super jealous of me getting to go on trips, though, and it always seemed to me that if she hadn't bought the designer stuff she could have travelled as much as I did in the same period of time - especially since I often stretch my travel budget with hostels and public transportation.

As for clothing - every time I learn more about fashion, I realise that there's more out there to know than any one person will ever be able to totally master!

Brands may come in handy if you are hard to fit or shop over the internet. I love the fit and feel of Clarks shoes. Otherwise names don't impress me just get the right fit!

It's not what you wear.....

But more about.....how you wear it. Whether it's makeup, clothes, shoes, etc. I think it really boils down to the individual. There are many CD's who have very good taste and "high dollar closets", and many women who chose to keep it simple and basic. On the other hand there are many CD's who are either new to the scene, or really don't care, and just do the best they can. Many of them are looking for affirmation on this site every week, trying to "get it right".

The problem for many is that it's not just the "look", but the whole "package" of presentation, that may be difficult. This comes naturally for many GG's, or with many years of practice and feedback from their peers. For me, an individual can be attractive, regardless of gender by how they walk, talk, smile and carry themselves no matter how expensive or extensive the outer wrapping might be......
    Transtronaut

You must first find yourself before you can discover your future-

I find it surprising that some CD's are very tasteful and chic when dressed but don't care what they look like when not dressed. That bothered me in my situation.

Observation of reality: People are individuals, whether GG, T-girl, T-guy, man, black, white, etc. etc. generalizing about any group will never be accurate. Some GG's have broader knowledge of clothing, accessories, makeup, apparel, etc. & SOME DON'T. Same for T-girls, some do, some don't, not BECAUSE they're a GG or a T-girl.
    On a tangent, look at the MOST EXPENSIVE shoes, some of them are bizarre.

On the subject of trendy: Pet Rocks were trendy. They aren't now.
    Last edited by Fab Karen; 04-15-2011 at 09:00 PM.
    [SIZE="3"]Gender is a state of mind[/SIZE]
    LGBTQ PRIDE
    As of Oct. 5th, go here to see my pics:http://www.flickr.com/people/fab_karen/
    A Yankee Doodle T-Girl
    proud of my President

Funny that you should mention that Wsprs, as that is exactly how I am. Perhaps a bit of "push back" for the lack of general understanding and acceptance by the majority, for those of us who are TG? In essence, I refuse to appear more "handsome" or "stylish" in drab, until I can be accepted for who I am when crossdressed......
    Transtronaut

You must first find yourself before you can discover your future-