1 0.97%
  • Doesn't describe me very well

1 0.97%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does this fit?

Action crossdresser Marlena Dahlstrom's Avatar

Does this fit?

No not clothes silly...

Rather this article (don't worry it's short) that argues cross-dressers typically share the following traits:
    • Intelligence
    • Creating and making things
    • Intellectual Curiosity and Eclecticism
    • Collectors/Hobbyists/Tinkerers
    • Perfectionism
    • Enjoy flights of fancy
    • Loners

which the author, a CD herself, argues typically has made CDs feel "different" from others and a bit of an outsider even before they put on the dress.

The bullet list doesn't do justice to the author's points about these traits, so please read the article first before answering the poll.

So what do you think?
    Lena

A dream? What is a dream, but a blueprint for courageous action.

http://www.adahlshouse.com

[size=4] Wow Thats me, [size=2]it would seem I'm a Crossdresser, who would have thought! [/size][/size]
    [SIZE=4] Jayne xx[/SIZE]

Oops! Someone has been spying on me! I hope they haven't seen me dressed!
    Rachel Denise

[SIZE="2"]“One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. ‘Which road do I take?’ she asked. His response was a question: “Where do you want to go?’ ‘I don’t know,’ answered Alice. ‘Then,’ said the cat, ‘it doesn’t matter.' "
    - Lewis Carroll
    [/SIZE]

wow that was so close in discription it's as if it was writen by some one that knew me
    [SIZE=5] [SIZE=6]Christina Jonien [/SIZE][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]...
    [SIZE=5]......................Tiamo[/SIZE]
    [/SIZE]

[SIZE=1]...........[/SIZE]

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Darla Dahlstrom

So what do you think?
    Well Darla here's what I think....

Intelligence - well I'm not going to say no that one.

Creativity - I was more creative when I was younger than I am now.

Intellectual Curiosity and Eclecticism - I can relate to parts of what is said in the article.

Collector/Hobbyist - not really - except useless geographical facts and information and flags of the world - certainly nothing with any great passion.

Perfectionism - I have been a workaholic but I'm too much of a generalist to be a perfectionist.

Imaginative - Yes I go with that.

Loner - absolutely - and self sufficient.

Fiona xx

Every catagory decribes my very well accept the loner part. as I relish other peoples company to much and get far to bored if left alone to long.
    [SIZE=4]:GE: CROSS MY PALM WITH GOLD, CAUSE SILVER'S CHEAP[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=6]EMELDA[/SIZE]
    My picture thread http://crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28557

Well, obviously I didn't vote, but wow.... I read the article and it describes my Tammy down to a T!!! A very insightful article Tam is intelligent, very creative, has a hobby of creating music, is very much a perfectionist (drives me nuts) and is very much loner I'll get her to read it
    Administrator

Missing my Libra babe Sherlyn, I hope she's rocking up there with the angels
    Missing our Rianna, doesn't seem right, gone to early, hope she's partying with Sherlyn

yup..truth hurts ...... or maybe not eh?? (good article and links too) Thanks Darla..xx"K"
    Just Remember,"Wherever You go- There You are ! "

Here is my outlook:

Intelligence - Above average

Creating and making things - As a HAM operater, I have build electronic devices, used to write game software back when one person could do it , now adays it takes a whole team. Even had a painting hung in a gallery once. I also hold 2 patents.

Intellectual Curiosity and Eclecticism - Reader of Scientific America, Wired, AMA, QST, and other techincal journials.

Collectors/Hobbyists/Tinkerers - Collect "Pocket Dragons" and Stuff Dragons. Hobbies - Amateur Radio, Computers, N Scale Model Railroading, Private Flying, and Saleboat Racing.

Perfectionism - I like to work solo on a project. Can not stand when boss asks me to stop what I am doing and start another project. Details, details, details are very important to me.

Enjoy flights of fancy - Avided reader of Science Fiction and Mystery Novels. Werid how a lot of OLD SF is now REAL.

Loners - I was shy when I was younger. Family says I was a "Mommy boy", started school at age 5, got bumped a grade, ended up in high school almost 2 years younger and ostrized because of it. Fully believe I have ADD, since I was always bored in school, kept getting into trouble because I would show up the teacher and make them mad. Still ended up with a 4.0 in both high school and college.

Fits me pretty well! Although I don't collect anything.....maybe! Is not throwing anything away "in case it comes in handy" like collecting?

Quote Originally Posted by Julie York
    Is not throwing anything away "in case it comes in handy" like collecting?
    No that's called 'hoarding rubbish' something I'm pretty good at
    Administrator

Missing my Libra babe Sherlyn, I hope she's rocking up there with the angels
    Missing our Rianna, doesn't seem right, gone to early, hope she's partying with Sherlyn

Wow!! Fits me very well, espesially the collecting part. This is one I want to print and keep. Thanks Darla for bringing this here.

Love, Jo
    It is hard work to be beautiful.

What we are given is our Fate...What we do with it is our Destiny!

WOW, this is strange. I'm taking a training class at work and last night we had a test, to determine our personality traits. Bing, bam, boom, right down the line, I had all the traits that were in this article. The test we took was not by the same person as the article.
    Hi, my name is Billjo, and and and I am a a a CROSSDRESSER. Sniff Sniff There I said it

Oh my gosh ....

I haven't voted as this poll is in the MTF forum and I'm FTM, but the description is freakily accurate. I can put a tick against every heading
    Suggests that the character traits aren't necessarily gender specific.

(I also do 'keeping things in case they might be useful' thing as well!!)
    Last edited by Puer; 09-28-2005 at 11:39 AM.
    I am who I am!

[SIZE=1]BTW it's not me in the avatar - if only I looked that good![/SIZE]

I think I may be a cd'er, can someone point me in the direction of the nearest shoe shop.

Fun, isn't it? Thanks, Darla. Here's how I fit ...

• Intelligence - I wish! I'm really dumb, but I know it and I'm always trying to overcome it (does that make me intelligent?)
    • Creating and making things - yep, I draw and paint, and I write and play music. I used to enjoy making models, before my eyesight deteriorated. My current project is to try to make a woman out of an old man, an empty cereal packet and some sticky-backed plastic
    • Intellectual Curiosity and Eclecticism - absolutely right there
    • Collectors/Hobbyists/Tinkerers - hmmm, at bit. But I'm not really into practical things at all. I collect Rupert Bear annuals, though
    • Perfectionism - absolutely not! I try to do things well, but don't get uptight if I fall short of perfection, and I'm even more forgiving with other people
    • Enjoy flights of fancy - oh yes, I'm a born dreamer
    • Loners - I don't think so. I enjoy the company of small numbers of people for a short time, although I am glad of some time to myself. But I don't like the fact that there is no-one special in my life at the moment - I would like to have one special person around all the time.
    On that basis, I guess I failed the test. Thing is, if I'm not a crossdresser, what am I going to do with this wardrobe full of clothes and shoes?!!
    [SIZE=5]Natalie [SIZE=4](the Tranny Granny)[/SIZE][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4]The thantom phread killer striks again[/SIZE]

Action crossdresser Marlena Dahlstrom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Puer
    I haven't voted as this poll is in the MTF forum and I'm FTM, but the description is freakily accurate. I can put a tick against every heading
    Suggests that the character traits aren't necessarily gender specific.
    That's really interesting. Maybe we should put a version up in the FTM forum.

For me it was also freakily accurate.

As far as the loner bit, I suspect that may vary depending on how introverted/extroverted you are. (Introverts recharge by being alone, extroverts recharge by interacting with people.) So if you're really extrovert, you've got a need to be around others -- although I suppose it's possible to simultaneously have loner characteristics, such as having lots of friends, but few really close ones.
    Lena

A dream? What is a dream, but a blueprint for courageous action.

http://www.adahlshouse.com

Formerly Natalie Lynn Tracy Lynn's Avatar
    Right on the money.......except for the loner part, I can be happy with or without someone.
    Love Ya, Tracy

"Like the sky opens after a rainy day we must open to ourselves.... Learn to love yourself for who you are and open so the world can see you shine." ~James Poland

I'll say I fit all of it.

I'll also caution that an electronic forum such as this is going to attract individuals who are somewhat aligned with those characteristics. To be an active member of these forums, an individual needs to be capable of using a computer, must be motivated to associate with others in an electronic forum, must be reasonably logical to effectively navigate the forums, and - for those who post pictures - must have some technical proficiency. Generalized, if you're here, you already fit many or all of these to some degree. That's not to say one needs to be a supergeek or super creative to participate, but a person who is computer illiterate or chooses to not use a computer will not be represented here.

It's an interesting thread, but my guess is you'll find transgenderism across the full range of each of those characteristics. You might find more GLBT folks at the upper end of each of the characteristics, but you'll find them at the lower ends too.
    Stephanie

Mac - It really does Just Work

Julie

no sh*t!

Very interesting, most of it applies for me. It would be interesting to know the results for the general population. The additional articles were a wealth of thought provoking info.

Don't tell anyone but,I might be a crossdresser.
    Love and Hugs,
    Priscilla

As the Scarecrow said to Dorothy...

"That's me all over!"

Darla, this thread is a great idea !

Hugs,
    Susie

Thats is a good description of me,not quite 100% but close.But what I want to know is who is bugging my phone.

Thanks for the thread Darla.

Diana

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Brooks
    I'll also caution that an electronic forum such as this is going to attract individuals who are somewhat aligned with those characteristics.
    Stephanie,

I also thought of selection bias in this case, but of the traits listed:

Intelligence
    Creating and making things
    Intellectual Curiosity and Eclecticism
    Collectors/Hobbyists/Tinkerers
    Perfectionism
    Enjoy flights of fancy
    Loners

... one needs only a modicum of intelligence and/or curiosity to use a computer and troll forums like this one. For example, not everybody who trolls the Yahoo flirt rooms is creative, ecclectic, a collector, perfectionist, imaginative, or a loner.

This set of attributes also matches other groups of people -- computer geeks and performance artists (actors, musicians) come to mind. Hmm, I wonder if the VP of Information Technology at my bank wears a bra underneath his suit? I doubt it, actually, because he's not very imaginative, and certainly not prone to flights of fancy .

Hugs,
    Susie

PS -- Stephanie, did you notice our avatars have a striking resemblance to each other? Maybe we're distant cousins .

Quote Originally Posted by susiej
    PS -- Stephanie, did you notice our avatars have a striking resemblance to each other? Maybe we're distant cousins .
    You never know.
    Stephanie

Mac - It really does Just Work