Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What jobs are available for Crossdressers?

Pretty much any I would think. It all depends on just how daring you are as an individual.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Babeba - THANK YOU! I sort of like that idea of trying to work for a non-profit. It has always been in my nature to try to help people and getting rich was never one of my goals (though if I won the lottery I would not return it )

You have all given me a lot to think about. Thank you and I look forward to hearing other ideas. Really, I guess I need to come to grips with myself too as that would help me figure out my future as well.
    I'M FREE, I'M FREE! I GET TO BE ME!

Try to get in touch with Dr. Julie Nemacek, a professor(I met at Tri-ess) who transitioned on the job at a conservative Michigan college (Spring Arbor) lost her job and is now a consultant for diversity policy to businesses. She will have an idea of where the diverse and flexible hiring policies are strongest.

http://transworkplace.ning.com/profile/JulieNemecek

Also take a look at GM PLUS (People Like US), an affinity group at General motors. Its for LBGT employees. A girl I met at Tri-Ess wrote much of the information booklet and parts of the employee's manual. Similar groups existed at Ford and Chrysler at one time.

http://history.gmheritagecenter.com/...Affinity_Group

But the last entry is in 2008. Possibly, many of the people are gone.
    Last edited by JenniferR771; 04-19-2011 at 09:04 AM. Reason: add link

Hi Danni,

I do know that per EOE, you should be protected from discimination. It covers age, race, gender and sexual orientation. That said, the interview process as we know is a highly subjective one. One thing that I would consider as your time gets closer, is a legal name change before starting your job search. Having documentation that identifies you as Danni, rather than your boy self will strengthen those protections.
    Finding a job is tough for anyone right now, though hopefully it will get easier in the future. As said by others, self-employment is an option but it does usually carry some risk that working for a company does not. The good thing is, that you have the luxury of time to research, prepare and save so that when the time comes you will be more able to do things on your terms.
    The best of luck to you as you move forward and also, a heartfelt "Thank you so very much" for your service

Hugs,
    Btynn

This might be a stretch but if you can reinvent yourself into computer programming, there are many in the field that work from home and make good salaries. The tough part is learning how to do computer programming as it takes some time.

Currently I work (computer programmer) two days in the office and three days at home. While in the office I dress between male and female and while working from home female.
    SRS January 27

So let me just understand this.

If I am a guy that prefers skirts to pants, or feminine styles to pants, and want to excercise a freedom that should be mine and wear those items, I should consider transitioning?

Did I read a post a few back correctly?

So, can someone again please say how men can wear what they want and keep their jobs, and livelihood again. Because in this discussion it seems for people to express how they want they need to fall into one or other gender, and those that need to are the ones that were born male.

I saw a female working on some gas lines around my area with a work crew. She had on Jean, shirt, flannel draped over, big thick coat, and a cowboy hat. She looks like a rotund little man. Not putting her down at all, but I do put down the unwritten rule that she can dress like that (she was not at all trying to pass as a male. She had long hair, and obvious breasts.), but a guy cannot wear a skirt in the manner Turkey Jive, and myself, along with many others would desire to without facing a rash of crud.

Our best option is to live as women.

Or did you all miss that little segment embedded in this thread?
    "I am not altogether on anyone's side as no one is all together on my side"
    Tree beard. Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers.

Silver Member
    Someone mentioned electrology as a possible career for a full-timer, and in fact there are a number of TS electrologists around the country so it is doable. (Not to mention, compared to going to college for a degree in something, an investment in time and money in electrology training is a real bargain.)

Well you do have some options. Counseling in the TG field is a good possibility. Some home based business would also likely be good possibilities. If I had the cash I would invest my money and work the stock market. Web site design - especially work where you don't meet or seldom meet your customers would be ideal - unless you want to be out and about dressed - then it's a bit of a different situation. Your comfort level will be a big factor, and (obviously) the comfort level and attitudes of people you deal with.

Aspiring Member

self employment depends on...

Quote Originally Posted by Danni Renee View Post
    As I go to bed tonight, I know in my heart that I can never go back to living in the closet. Now that I have taken these first steps, I know I want more. Although too early to make a final decision, I believe when I leave the military in 4 years (retiring) that I want to dress full time. I have heard bits and pieces from some of the girls here on the forum about jobs they have and being able to dress full time. From those that are able to dress full time, what sort of jobs do you have? Are there jobs or businesses or communities that are more CD friendly than others?

I will still have a family to support and alimony to pay so my retired pay will not be enough. I hope to find a job where I can finally be myself. [SIZE="4"]Between my experiences and my education (Bachelors and Masters degrees) I should be very employable[/SIZE] but I would like it to be on my terms for once. I would love to hear from people who are able to live their lives as they choose and are still able to support themselves and their families. Thanks.
    Danni, that of course would depend on what your degrees are in, and how along ago you got them, unless they are in the humanities, which doesn't become obsolete so quickly.
    self employment can be a boon or a drag, depending on what you choose. Without knowing your expertise and assuming that you will be 50 on retirement, you are already reaching the age when it becomes difficult to get a job. Ex military can do well in contract employment in areas similar to their military exp., but as someone pointed out, acceptance is a major hurdle. I mentioned in another thread about a concert pianist who transitioned and who had been previously very successful. His agent said that transitioning would be the kiss of death for his career. Writing is a good possibility if that is your niche. Jan Davis /AKA James Davis was a well-known travel writer.
    Possibly something in a area of bonded work--courier, bail bonds, where dress is not going to be a handicap. Internet businesses can be a loosing proposition. I have one and i the beginning it was great but it has declined for a number of reasons and it is not likely to pick up again. Glad I'm 68 and don't really have to worry about supporting someone.
    Do you have pilot experience. Charter pilot might be a possibility.
    Just on a lark the other day, I browsed about 500 or so jobs in my area and with nearly 40 years experience, I would have been hard pressed to get job that paid anything of a living wage. Lots of science, medical, engineering, but they require lots of specialized experience. Medical sales though had some openings for trainees and that would include selling things like implants for mastectomy patients,etc. (medical devices)
    4 years sounds like a lot of time but if you require additional training you'll need all that time. Don't look a the "today's hot jobs" because by the time you get there , they will be glutted. Look for things up and coming. Good luck to you and from one vet to another, thanks for your service.

I remember reading an article about a financial firm (IT division I believe) that had a "progressive dress policy" and anyone was free to express their gender as they wished (even wearing skirts) and use bathrooms consistent with their current presentation (they emphasized following basic rules to allow this policy to stay in place).

I lost the article, though, and haven't been able to find it since. If anyone else remembers reading this, please speak up. I don't think the first past about gender expression was limited to transsexuals.

Silver Member
    I think Apple has a similar progressive dress policy (allowing not just TS to transition but also allowing men to wear skirts and present male etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by busker View Post
    Don't look a the "today's hot jobs" because by the time you get there , they will be glutted. Look for things up and coming. Good luck to you and from one vet to another, thanks for your service.
    In the same vein, I'd be careful in any job that can be easily outsourced to the third world for pennies on the dollar, who knows how long it will last. (After all, why should we put up with "weirdo trouble making employees", when we can just get rid of all of them and save lots of money to boot?)
    Last edited by Vickie_CDTV; 04-23-2011 at 04:13 AM.

Thank you all again for your posts. Just an update to answer some questions:

My bachelor’s degree was quite a while back but I received my MBA last June. Up until December when I finally acknowledged there was more to me than I cared to admit, I had a plan. My first choice was politics. In my hometown, with my experiences and connections, I had/have the opportunity to be involved in state politics. Although I felt it was a long shot, it was something I felt I could attain. My second choice was managing construction projects (my military job and experience). My third option was teaching/coaching as I think education and the development of the future is a most honorable profession.

With all of that said though, I am not sure how things fit anymore. I thought my crossdressing was a fetish, something to keep hidden from the light of day and never to be spoken of, let alone admitted to anyone. Then I told my SO about it and she accepted me. It opened a whole new world for me. I have had trouble sleeping for years; I never could put a finger on why. I spent my days working as a man, but when I went to sleep at night the dreams I had were always of being a woman. I was always depressed.

Now I sleep well. I wear a nightgown to bed and panties and a bra to work. I completely dress every day (after work) - my last two loads of laundry had more feminine clothes then male clothes. I am happy in a way that I have never been happy before. It is like I am finally becoming at peace with myself; I no longer feel guilty for the feelings I have. And as time passes, I realize (I think) that maybe I am more than just a crossdresser. I cannot understand why I am so much more comfortable with myself. I want to continue this journey, wherever it takes me.

But regardless of how I feel, I still have responsibilities to uphold. I have a SO who I hope to make my wife by the end of the year. I have two children from my first marriage and will add two more when I get married. Although I should be debt free (except for alimony) by August, my retirement pay will not be sufficient to cover everything so I have to work.

So that is why I asked this question. I no longer feel my top three options are available to me. I have four years to gear myself for another profession, but I want whatever profession I chose to both allow me to support my family and be who I am, whatever that may turn out to be.

Sorry if I am rambling but the forum has not only helped me find new friends and acceptance, it also serves as a sounding board for my inner thoughts. It is very therapeutic – Danielle.

P.S. for Pythos. I am not sure I full understand your post. I have read a few of your posts and you always make great points. I would love it if you could clarify what you meant – you sort of talked a circle around me and I got lost.
    I'M FREE, I'M FREE! I GET TO BE ME!